Posted By: randy58 Getting my life back - 04-18-2011 01:02 AM
When I was diagnosed last May, I read about neck dissections, loss of saliva and permanent issues from treatment. I'm a marathon runner, and I didn't know if I would ever be able to run at all again ... I just didn't know, because there's no guidance about that out there. It might seem like a trivial thing when you're looking at the kind of severe treatment we have to do, but it was among my biggest fears. And hopes. Because if I could run marathons again, that would mean I not just survived, but thrived and got my life back.
I'm seven and a half months out of treatment. My saliva remains low and I have a touch of L'Hermite's Syndrome. My jaw hurts a little on the right side at times. But otherwise, I have my sense of taste and my stamina back.
Today I ran a half-marathon. I was a minute per mile slower than I was for a half last April, but that's because I haven't tried to run faster yet. Well, I tried in November, and spent a wiped-out December paying the price.
I've been lucky. Now I get to start training for the Marine Corps Marathon in October. I was signed up last year, and was able to get a deferment because of treatment.
But it would have meant the world to me to hear this 11 months ago: Physically, less than 8 months after treatment, I am barely changed from where I was a year ago.
Stay active, reach out to people, pray and do everything you can to keep your head up and fight.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Getting my life back - 04-18-2011 01:29 AM
Randy congrats on doing so well with your recovery. I love reading success stories like yours. You will still see improvements for many more months. Best wishes with your upcoming marathon!!!
Posted By: julieann Re: Getting my life back - 04-18-2011 03:33 AM
What wonderful news to read, Randy. It gives us all hope, and that is what counts. Congratulations, and do great running marathons.
julieann
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Getting my life back - 04-18-2011 02:52 PM
Well done. As you said, it would have meant the world for you to hear this when you were going thru treatment, so I hope someone at that stage now reads your post and can see that recovery is ahead! Great job on your marathon.

Donna
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Getting my life back - 04-18-2011 06:38 PM
This is what I love to hear...awesome on the half marathon... wink
Posted By: Michelle Ann Re: Getting my life back - 04-20-2011 03:41 PM
Randy: You are an inspiration!!! Congrats on your amazing progress. I am one month into recovery - ended treatment on 3/31 - and your story gives me hope. Thanks for sharing. You made my day. And you're right about reaching out to people and praying. Bless you. I send you lots of healing thoughts. -Michelle
Posted By: MaineWill Re: Getting my life back - 04-20-2011 09:06 PM
I watched the folks finish the Boston marathon yesterday and I think you're all crazy. Congratulations on your negative tests.
Posted By: randy58 Re: Getting my life back - 04-26-2011 12:19 AM
Michelle, did they just give you a PEG automatically? Were you able to continue going to the gym?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum