Posted By: Stily1 Black furry tongue - possible remedy - 01-20-2011 07:43 PM
Hello everybody,

Not long after my radiation/chemo, which ended almost nine months ago (I've not had any surgery in my mouth) I developed what is aptly described as "black furry tongue". I just saw my oncologist and he said this is a fungal infection caused by lack of saliva and particularly an enzyme in the saliva. He proposed a possible remedy.

He said you can use fresh pineapple or very sour apples as well, but he suggested making pineapple juice ice cubes and once a day placing one on the tongue and let it melt. He said this may be pretty challenging, due to the cold and acid. He said that if you do this every day for 4 to 6 weeks you should see a resolution. Also brushing gently with a soft tooth brush regularly, sweeping forward, should help keep the problem at bay.

I will try to report back if I manage this. Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Tried it?

Oh, he also put the scope down my nose and examined me and gave me the "still all clear", which is fantastic. I'll be due for my next CT-scan in late April, at my one-year mark.

Now if I can just find work here in London things will start to really come together.

Cheers,

-Seth
Posted By: DonB Re: Black furry tongue - possible remedy - 01-21-2011 01:24 AM
I think they called it "hairy tongue".

Like "Thrush" it can be due to antibotics, reduced saliva, yeast infection....

It is benign, but as best I recall, when I had it the "Thrush" med (Nystatin)took care of it.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Black furry tongue - possible remedy - 01-21-2011 10:12 PM
I did and still do brush my tongue and it helps keep it clean.

Take care,
Eileen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum