Posted By: susand PET clear - 12-05-2010 09:14 PM

I finished my treatment in Sept and just had my first follow-up PET scan/all clear/dr. says I'm doing great!

Just wish I were more interested in eating/nothing really appeals to me, and eating seems a chore. Well, I know I have lots to be grateful for and I will focus on those things.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PET clear - 12-05-2010 09:18 PM
Congrats on the clear scan!!!! It takes a while to bounce back. All you can do is try your best to eat. If something doesnt taste good today, try it again in a couple weeks. Best of luck with your continued recovery.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: PET clear - 12-06-2010 01:53 PM
Susan,

You will get better and as your saliva and taste improve, which I think go hand and hand, everything will get back to normal. I really didn't notice any improvement in my saliva/taste until my 4th month post; then at 5 months a tad better but it wasn't until my 15th month post that I really saw a big improvement. Yea eating was not fun at first but as your saliva improves it will come back. I stuck to anything that I could find enjoyment from like pancakes and soft eggs with plenty of syrup lol, TV dinners with plenty of gravy stuff. Forget the fat, in fact GO FOR IT. The fattier the better. I also drank a can of Carnation Instant BK VHC with each meal mixed half n half with whole fatty milk just to make sure I was getting those all important calories. I tried to get 3000 every day and I didn't gain a pound my first year post so that tells me my body needed every calorie.

Hang in there, it will only get better from here on out.
Posted By: minniemoo066 Re: PET clear - 12-07-2010 04:34 PM
Susan,

I finished my treatment on 6th Sept so i'm going in for my Ct next week. Yep i'm having the same problem with regards to taste. I found home made smoothies with inseason fruits, full cream milk and add 2 tablespoon of milk powder for extra protein and calories. This is not just nutritious, and healthy but it goes down pretty easy. Frozen berries and mangoes in the smoothies are really good too. I made a choc, banana and peanut butter shake the other day and that was quite good!!! Hope it all improves soon for you and me!

Minh
Posted By: David2 Re: PET clear - 12-08-2010 01:18 AM
Susan - congrats. That's a terrific achievement!

Yeah the eating thing can be a drag. No appetite, throat hurts, mouth hurts. And did I mention no desire to eat? I would follow everyone's advice here. It never hurts to keep a good supply of the liquid nutrition product of your choice around, just knock one back whenever you can.

Hang in there - you're well on the way back now!

D2
Posted By: tristeve Re: PET clear - 12-08-2010 05:57 PM
congrads on the all clear!
Yes eating can be a challange, even after a year I still have some issues!But it has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better. I trthink I would have a good jump every month or so. Hang in there, you will love a big meal again!!
Steve
Posted By: julieann Re: PET clear - 12-09-2010 06:44 PM
Congratulations, Susan. Here's hoping all your future PET and CT scans will be clear. As far as eating, just keep trying different things and eat as much as you can, whether you're hungry or not. Even after almost 3 years, I still have no appetite, but eat as much and as often as I can. Everyone's different with their after effects, so just keep on doing what you can and hopefully your appetite will return. Congratulations, again.
julieann
Posted By: Susan3175 Re: PET clear - 12-10-2010 03:39 AM
Yay Susan!!! Congrats on the clear scan. I read somewhere on here about taking Zinc everyday to help move along your taste. My sister has been taking it everyday and her taste has come back pretty decent. She finished rads 10/11/10. Something to consider.
Posted By: BrandyK Re: PET clear - 12-10-2010 04:08 AM
Congrats. I pray that they continue to be and you are free of this from now on. I have not really eaten anything in almost two years and most things that I do taste are way to sweet or acidic. Keep trying.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum