Posted By: Stily1 Numb feet post Tx - 09-10-2010 04:30 PM
Hi,

At 4.5 months post radiation/chemo for tonsillar scc with metastases to right neck, I'm experiencing a numbness in the soles of my feet and perhaps my fingers as well. This is exacerbated when I tip my head forward, creating a sort of "buzz" sensation in the backs of my calves.

I'm told by my Rad Oncologist that this is a common and temporary side-effect at this stage post Tx of the radiation hit to my spine.

So, anyone out there who's experiencing this, should be able to take some comfort in the notion that it's common and should clear up with time.

-Seth
Posted By: Stily1 Re: Numb feet post Tx - 10-06-2010 10:31 AM
I found this article (below) very interesting. It suggests that both chemotherapy and radiation to the spine (an unintended impact of radiation to the head and neck such as in my case of tonsil SCC) can result in peripheral neuropathy. Of interest is the statement that for some people this will improve or resolve in 6 to 12 months (but not for everyone). This fits with what a friend was told about the "buzz" he experiences when he tips his head forward; that it should go away with time:

http://www.greenhosp.org/pe_pdf/cancersymptom_neuropathy.pdf

Posted By: davidcpa Re: Numb feet post Tx - 10-06-2010 12:40 PM
Post Tx I suffered imbalance issues especially with going up and down our stairs at home. If I didn't look where I was going I felt the sensation of missing a step every now and then. I had to hold onto the rail to feel comfortable. I don't know how long it took, probably in that 6 to 12 month period mentioned but I got over it.
Posted By: Stily1 Re: Numb feet post Tx - 12-01-2010 08:57 PM
Not posting just to keep my topic alive, but I had a meeting with my UK surgeon today (still all good, no indication of any problems) and he stated that the numb soles of feet is most likely from the chemo (Cisplatin), and that effect of radiation on my spine would manifest more as an electric shock or jab sensation. Then my GP told me that anything that will encourage blood flow will help to encourage nerve repair, so exercise, foot massages, etc. are all good for that. I've also been encouraged to massage the area under my jaw that is numb from my limited neck dissection, also to encourage healing of the nerves there.
Posted By: minniemoo066 Re: Numb feet post Tx - 12-02-2010 07:07 AM
Thanks Seth for your post. 3 months post tx and i've started getting pins and needles / numbness in my feet. Good to know that its just side effects of chemo/radiation. Thanx again.

Minh
Posted By: tristeve Re: Numb feet post Tx - 12-02-2010 04:04 PM
I had peripheral Neuropathy and it was quite bad. Shortly after tx I even needed pain med to stop, feet were especially bad, it did get better over time, by 6 month-ish it was largly gone. Weird thing is after 15 months it is back a bit. I went for a swim in very cold water a couple of weeks ago and my hands hurt for days. I might be particularly sensitive to cold now.
I was told that the peripheran neuropathy is a fairly common side effect of Chemo
Steve
Posted By: WendyG Re: Numb feet post Tx - 12-03-2010 10:53 AM
Glad to have read this post. Steve is over a year post tx and often gets pins and needles in his hands and feet. Sometimes cramping as well. It seems to occur more when he drives for a long period. Never happened before treatment. I thought it may be a side effect of treatment but wasn't really sure. Will be asking his doctor about it next week at his 3 monthly checkup just to be sure. But thanks again for mentioning this as it sounds like what he is experiencing.

Wendy
Posted By: randy58 Re: Numb feet post Tx - 12-19-2010 03:52 AM
Thanks, Seth. I've been having the same "buzz" sensation in my legs. It started 2.5 months post-treatment when I was running. I first felt it in the back of my left calf. I've noticed it particularly when I look down. This was great to read.
Posted By: randy58 Re: Numb feet post Tx - 12-23-2010 03:01 AM
Saw my radiation oncologist and a neurologist. It's Lhermitte's Syndrome, a rare, temporary condition involving radiation damage to the nerve sheathing around the spinal column that extends into the neck. Really good study on it here:

http:\\www.hindawi.com/journals/ijol/2010/907960.html

BTW, davidcpa, I've reduced my running to about 15 miles a week. Ran a 5K on Thanksgiving and went too hard; was worn out for about three weeks. Got lectured by doc. Have to make some concessions to the beating I took.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Numb feet post Tx - 12-23-2010 01:50 PM
I took it real easy until appx my 9th month post and then had a renewed vigor and killer mental attitude.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Numb feet post Tx - 12-23-2010 11:05 PM
I sure don't look down when I head for the basement because of missing a step. Go slow and hold the bannister, Coming up is easy. LOL don't lose count of the steps or whamo..
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum