Posted By: tizz Stricture - 09-06-2010 07:41 AM
Hi peoples,

Haven't been here for a while, but have a question. I am just over 6 years out since the end of radiotherapy and had a Colonoscopy and gastroscopy today (family history for the colo one, gastro for swallowing one, weight loss). The colo was fine, but the gastro? The doc couldn't get past a stricture in my oesophagus to venture further. He suspects the effects of radio, and also a vocal chord is burnt (now I understand why after some time of talking I have to pressure my self and I sound funny, to me anyway!). The doc mentioned a laser treatment to open the stricture more (I have trouble gaining weight and eating), lost my appetite basically, besides having the rotten teeth! Does anyone know much about this type of treatment? I'll be seeing my ENT in a couple of weeks, plus my GP this week.

Cheers!

Tizz
Posted By: x28007 Re: Stricture - 09-08-2010 05:00 AM
My esophagus almost closed completely after radiation. I had to have 10 dilation, one a month for 10 months. It helped, finally. However, it has been almost two years now and I think it is time for another dilation. You can usually tell when it is time because food and liquids lag in some areas when you swallow. I've never heard of the lazer method. Keep us posted on the outcome and good luck.
Posted By: tizz Re: Stricture - 09-28-2010 05:17 AM
Visited my ENT/Surgeon yesterday and off for a Barium swallow test Thursday. My guy is highly respected so that's why I went to him other than this suggestion of laser (sorry, I still use an 's';-)!) Hopefully it may only be a balloon thingy, not a oesaphag...op. Will let you know, but it would be nice to gain some weight and swallow real food!

Cheers!

Tizz
Posted By: tizz Re: Stricture - 09-28-2010 05:20 AM
Oh, and what's the balloon thingy like? Painful?
Posted By: Gabe Re: Stricture - 09-28-2010 06:08 AM
Good luck with the test on Thursday. So sorry to hear that you are still going through so much. Us necklace ladies will have to get together again soon. It's eye ops. for me next - Right Oct 18 then Left 2 weeks later..no big deal!
Love
Gabriele
Posted By: tizz Re: Stricture - 09-28-2010 08:19 AM
So now it's going to be neck-less, eye-less & perhaps oesophagus-less next time? ;-) Dearie me!

Love, Tizz
Posted By: MarkInOregon Re: Stricture - 09-29-2010 01:21 AM
I'm checking in. Almost one year post treatment and the GI doc is considering dilation. I have a barium study scheduled next week to determine the amount of constriction.
Posted By: David2 Re: Stricture - 09-29-2010 08:46 PM
Tizz, if by the balloony thing you're referring to an esophageal dilation, then it's not painful particularly - not at all when performed, as you're blissfully asleep. I find my throat hurts for 4 days to a week after one of these, I've had 4 or 5 of them. Mainly they're just expensive!

Hope whatever procedure you end up with goes well and is successful.

David 2
Posted By: tizz Re: Stricture - 10-13-2010 11:40 PM
Hi all,

Had the Barium swallow (interesting to watch) and showed reflux and possible after-effects of RT. My original ENT/H & N surgeon wants to investigate further and next month he'll put me under. Depending what he sees may put in a dilatation tube. At least things are not as bad as I envisaged!

Cheers!
Tizz
Posted By: Una Re: Stricture - 10-20-2010 10:26 PM
Hi I had squama cell cancer on my tonsil and received chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I am a year and 3 months on peg tube. I have upper oesophical stenosis and am only able to swallow a trickle of water. My oesophagus was unable to be dilated because it has gone so narrow after treatment and I was unable to swallow barium for barium swwallow. Is there anybody with a similar problem?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Stricture - 10-21-2010 12:49 AM
Una, welcome to OCF. There are several here who have similiar problems. For the best results always start your own new post. That way your post will receive the attention it deserves.
Posted By: Una Re: Stricture - 10-21-2010 02:57 PM
Thanks. Its good to chat and the problem is so rare.
Posted By: Una Re: Stricture - 10-21-2010 02:58 PM
Hi I had squama cell cancer on my tonsil and received chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I am a year and 3 months on peg tube. I have upper oesophical stenosis and am only able to swallow a trickle of water. My oesophagus was unable to be dilated because it has gone so narrow after treatment and I was unable to swallow barium for barium swwallow. Is there anybody with a similar problem?
Posted By: tizz Re: Stricture - 11-12-2010 12:24 AM
Hi all,

Had my dilation yesterday under a general and the doc found the stricture. 24 hrs later I'm still sore in my upper throat, but panadiene soluble sort of helps. Probably will have another one - he said my throat was so tiny! No wonder I can't eat properly! Now people will believe me why I have had these problems (I'm one of those people who doesn't go to docs & dentists until there a serious problem ;-)) But at least I'm on the track again :-)!

Cheers!
Tizz
Posted By: Gabe Re: Stricture - 11-12-2010 02:50 AM
Glad they found it M...are you on a puree diet or can you eat something a little more substantial??
Of course this in is on a need to know basis wink
Love
Gabriele
Posted By: tizz Re: Stricture - 11-25-2010 12:11 AM
Back again,

Saw my surgeon yesterday and am booked in for another dilation, this time a water one up top. He showed me the op and where the problem is, scar tissue or fibrous tissue from radio of course. The first dilation has helped somewhat, but was painful.

Una, I never had a peg, just lots of banana smoothies, Sustagen and 'mulch' ;-), so can't help you there, hopefully someone can.

Tizz
Posted By: Gabe Re: Stricture - 11-26-2010 07:09 AM
Makes shopping easy and of course cheap.
Shall I get some mangoes or something more exotic for a smoothy.
How about smoked salmon or caviar?
Mulch..now thats a challenge!

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum