Posted By: irishmist What I experienced after treatment - 06-30-2010 03:40 AM
I am fortunate and feel lucky that I can look back on my past year. Positives are that no sign of cancer returning, have kept 20lbs off, I am in better shape due to physical therapy after treatment, have returned to active life style. A lot of what I experienced is foggy, thank goodness for chemo brain. Have learned to value relationships and family more than ever.
Negatives, dry mouth, mouth sores, had to have esophugus stretched to eat normally, lost a lot of taste buds, sweat when eat spicey foods.
When I finished treatment I was so down, tired and sick that I thought I would not do it again. In retrospect it was all worth it and I have a great life.
Posted By: Gabe Re: What I experienced after treatment - 06-30-2010 04:18 AM
Hi Rick,
Nice to see you posting again.
Am glad that you are enjoying your life again.
Your hobbies sound like great things to be doing and being retired it must be great spending time doing what you enjoy cool
Posted By: beeboppin5 Re: What I experienced after treatment - 06-30-2010 06:24 PM
Today, I am celebrating my first month after 30 doses of IMRT radiation on my tongue. Foremost, I am thankful to be alive! In addition, I am so glad to have my energy level back. Although I am not 100%, I can recall those days during the last week of rads when I could barely get off the couch and had to drink 5 bottles of Ensure to stay alive. Now, I am 30 pounds lighter, and can once again wear a size 8......something I have not been able to do since high school. I am officially a non-smoker, after having battled that addiction for 25 years. I have a loving husband, 2 daughters, and a mom and dad who love me and never gave up on helping me through treatment. I am starting to sound better and better and the sores on my tongue are almost healed. And the best part is, I am starting to get more taste buds and I even ate some chips and guacamole for a snack last night.

This oral cancer thing is a $@#&* and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. But through the experience, I am thankful for a great many things. Most awesome, is that we have this site and all of you wonderful supporters to get me through the rough spots.

Just want to say thank you!

Bee Boppin' Barb
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum