Posted By: Susan3175 Hair on new flap? - 06-14-2010 04:01 PM
Hello everyone!! Hope your day is going well. I have a question. I looked at my sisters flap today and it looked like there was hair growing. Could this be possible?? I would think that your forearm doesn't grow much hair. Anywho any info would be appreciated. Maybe I'm just seeing things at this point. Thanks!!
Posted By: Gabe Re: Hair on new flap? - 06-14-2010 08:37 PM
Hi Susan,
I know that is sounds bizarre but I had a few.
I am fair and not very hairy with none on the inside of my wrist but there they were. Don't have them now so I guess with time they rub away like on legs where pants touch the skin.
I didn't mention it to too many people..freaked some out wink
Is the path. in yet?..if not good luck with that.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Hair on new flap? - 06-14-2010 09:03 PM
Oh yea, I've heard of this happening before! Apparently, if there's radiation, that usually solves the problem. Conversely, I have some freckles on the graft from my thigh on my inner wrist. Kinda weird when we start mixing up our body parts.

- Margaret
Posted By: ebayman Re: Hair on new flap? - 06-15-2010 12:51 AM
Hi- I had a forearm free flap in 3/2003, & all is well. I do have some hair on my tongue but who looks? Not even me...The doc had me go for laser oblation after surgery and it worked but I was not interested enough to go back for a second treatment. It is simple, painless and done in the office. T1N0M0 SCC left tongue. No rad or chemo.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hair on new flap? - 06-15-2010 02:49 AM

Growing hair is a very good sign! It means that the flap is healthy and has adapted to its new location.
Posted By: EricS Re: Hair on new flap? - 06-15-2010 06:31 AM
I had a fibular free flap and I have hairy legs...I could probably braid that stuff! It's funny really
Posted By: Gabe Re: Hair on new flap? - 06-15-2010 07:55 AM
Good one Eric:-)
Now I am glad I got mine from the wrist if you can be happy about such a thing (even though I don't have hairy legs either..years of waxing).
Christine said it all..proves it is alive and healthy. I have read quite a few posts her where it did not work out and another flap was done usually from a different body part.
Posted By: Susan3175 Re: Hair on new flap? - 06-18-2010 03:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the response! Whew what a relief that IT means It is healthy.
Eric- great sence of humor. Thanks!
Gabe- got path today clear margins and no nodes. =) still going to do rads though tumor was big.
Ebayman- 2003 WOW!!!! Glad to see such a survivor!
Christine- thanks so much for all the help you have givin so far.
Posted By: Gabe Re: Hair on new flap? - 06-19-2010 04:25 AM
Great news on the clear margins and no nodes. Good luck with the rads.
Gabriele
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum