Posted By: Bloop19 Hair loss - 06-13-2010 01:39 AM
I finished chemo and radiation Jan. 22nd, 2010. I didn't lose any hair to speak of but I felt it got thinner in the back. Now five months later my hair is ridiculous looking. There are places where there is just stub and a few strings of hair over it. I don't even know when the stubs came in. I have been dwelling on being toothless and not paying much attention to my hair I guess. But now I am really comical looking. Has this happened to anyone else this far past treatment?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hair loss - 06-13-2010 11:55 AM

When you go thru radiation, you will develop a bald spot. Think of how the radiation machine angled it towards you then make a direct line thru your head and thats when the exit place is. Thats the spot that you lost your hair and its now growing back. I didnt notice my bald spot right away either.

I have several place like what you are talking about. When I was hospitalize for 2 months, I developed several bald spots from always lying the same way. Now those bald spots turned into stubs of hair about 2" long. Sometimes, they stick straight out so I just wet them down to make it blend in.

Yea, being toothless takes alot of adjusting. Will you be able to get dentures or implants?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Hair loss - 06-13-2010 02:35 PM
I lost the hair on the back of my neck in the radiation exit path and I lost all my facial whiskers both above and below my chin line. Over time all grew back except the whiskers below my chin line.
Posted By: walknlite Re: Hair loss - 06-14-2010 03:52 AM
My hair is horrible to. I am not sure what fried. I can also tell you mine is not growing at all, and it is so hard to deal with.
Posted By: David2 Re: Hair loss - 06-14-2010 03:40 PM
My situation is identical to David CPA. Must be the name.

D2
Posted By: pjmonster Re: Hair loss - 06-14-2010 04:12 PM
I got two bald patches on the back of my head & my hair went very very thin. My hairdresser advised me to take sea kelp & it has helped with the thickness of my hair & also my nails, which would just break.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum