Posted By: Pat_451 Side Effects After Treatment - 06-09-2010 04:34 PM
I know that I have note posted here for quite some time. I guess I thought that once treatment was done, this whole thing was over.
My husband has problems with his memory, and thinking. Has anyone had this problem from the Chemo? Cisplastin was the chemo that they used for him.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Side Effects After Treatment - 06-09-2010 06:50 PM
We call it "chemo brain" and getting older doesn't help matters either.
Posted By: Pat_451 Re: Side Effects After Treatment - 06-09-2010 07:14 PM
Then this must be something that happens "normally"? Does this get better over time or do I expect this to be as it is now.
It is hard to see this happening. The sad thing is I don't think that he could hold down a job.
Any other comments would be great.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Side Effects After Treatment - 06-09-2010 08:42 PM
I am 4 years post Tx and I don't think my memory is quite as sharp as it was pre Tx but again that was also 4 years ago so who knows if it's because of the lingering effects of the chemo or just age or way too many things going on in my life or a combo. Stress can also affect one's memory and Lord knows we corner the market on stress.
Posted By: Pat_451 Re: Side Effects After Treatment - 06-09-2010 09:48 PM
Thanks David for your answer. I am not sure if this is normal, or not. I made it through the treatments, which were quite draining for my husband. Now we just go every three months. He will have a chest xray this time. But I almost feel like things are harder for me now then before.
I think it is all the what if's.
Need to live my life One Day At A Time.
Thanks for all your help I really appreciate the time that you spend answering my questions.
Pat
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Side Effects After Treatment - 06-10-2010 12:25 PM
Most of us patients go through a depression like state or even full blown depression post Tx so I'm sure you caregivers would share the patients' "now what" mentality. Like everything associated with this crap, time will heal everything as you both will become accustomed to the new normal. I am almost 4 years post Tx and were it not for this site or all my well wishing friends and clients constantly having to ask me if I'm OK I would not even think of my ordeal. Can't speak for my caregiver because I still can't figure her out after 20 years of marriage.
Posted By: Pat_451 Re: Side Effects After Treatment - 06-10-2010 02:43 PM
David,
The depression and anxiety have played a major role in Rex's recovery. He was pretty even across the board. During treatment he had a lot of despression and anxiety problems. He is still being treated for them.
Thanks once again
Pat
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum