Posted By: Jim and Deb Need help for dry mouth during the night - 05-11-2010 03:04 PM
Hi Friends,
Jim has been having a terrible time the last few days with dry mouth during the night. It doesn't bother him as much during the day but has kept him (and me!) awake lately. He drinks water, does the soda rinses, Oasis mouthwash, but it really acts up during the night. He gags on Biotene mouthspray so that's out. We have a cool mist humidifier but have not tried it. Could you share any rememdies that helped you with dry mouth during the night?

Thanks,
Debbie crazy
Posted By: DonB Re: Need help for dry mouth during the night - 05-11-2010 04:08 PM
You might having Jim try a little olive oil.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Need help for dry mouth during the night - 05-11-2010 09:39 PM
keep a small spray bottle on his night stand so he can get a mist every now and then.

Also try the humidifier.
Posted By: Patcey1 Re: Need help for dry mouth during the night - 05-11-2010 10:55 PM
I do use the humidifier and it works well. I also use the neosporin night cream on my lips which I think also helps my dry mouth. Today I tried a remedy from Kelly Ripa(Regis & Kelly)she suggests putting vaseline on your teeth to keep them from sticking to the gum. It's working now so I'll see what it does tonite. I thought I would hate the taste but I barely notice it. Can't hurt to try but I'll swear by the humidifier!
Pat
Posted By: EzJim Re: Need help for dry mouth during the night - 05-12-2010 05:13 PM
Dehumidifier works for me along with keeping a bottle of water on the nite stand. I also rub a little Aquaphor on yhy lips in and out.
Posted By: ESikon Re: Need help for dry mouth during the night - 05-14-2010 08:00 PM
Good info! I just deal with it and if it's real bad, I get up and rinse my mouth out as I can't drink water because of aspiration.
Posted By: penners Re: Need help for dry mouth during the night - 06-06-2010 10:19 PM
Hi Deb. I found a product for my Aunt that she uses at night. It's hard to find in the US but found it at Dentist.net. The product is GC Mouth Gel. Email me at [email protected] if you have trouble finding it and I'll send ya a link.

She says it helps her ALOT. Kinda found it by accident as I was searching for the GC tooth mousse for enamel on my own teeth. The mouth gel is a saliva replacement... aunt just ordered another tube.

Dodie
Posted By: EzJim Re: Need help for dry mouth during the night - 06-07-2010 03:20 PM
Magic Mouth Wash , which I keep on the nite stand, taken about mid way thru the nite helps me a lot along with the other meds. I get so dry that I can't swallow.
Posted By: Pat_451 Re: Need help for dry mouth during the night - 06-09-2010 05:17 PM
The best thing that we have found for Rex is running our humidifer everynight. I put this right beside him so that it basically spraying over him.
Thanks
Pat
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum