Posted By: slim White Blood Count - will it ever be normal - 04-19-2010 06:20 PM
Hi. John finished treatments April 15, 2009. He had an appointment with his Oncologist today. They always take blood while he is there. His WBC is only 3.7. He thought being a year out of treatment that his blood counts would be better. What makes the WBC stay low and will it ever be normal again?
Hi, Wanda,

I don't have any info to offer you on this as Clark did not have chemo. Maybe it is related to John having had chemo? Anyway, I wish you and John well.

Anita
Wanda,

This seems odd to me. I had lymphoma treatment 19 years ago that dramatically lowered my WBC but even during my treatment for SCC 2 years ago, my counts remained fine. Has the oncologist indicated any concern about this?

- Margaret
Wanda,

Good question. Normal range for white is 4.5-11.0. While 3.7 is a little low, it shouldnt be a big concern. Im 2.5 yrs post rad/chemo and my numbers still have never returned to normal range. My blood results for the last 3 weeks have been 2.4, 2.2 and 1.9. Usually the patients who recently finished chemo will have low white numbers.

Im hoping someone out there has some ideas as to why its so low and so hard to get back to normal. Ive asked my visiting nurse and she has no answer, either do several of the docs I have asked. Guess Im asking the wrong docs. In May Im going to my chemo oncologist who will have some answers.

Ive done alot of reading trying to figure this out. Low white counts commonly is a sign of an infection, among many other things. Ive been on IV antibiotics for 9 weeks and do not have any infections.

Hope someone knows the answer to this.
I would like to know the answer to this as well. My cou nts are still low and are staying low. They are hanging steady at 2.8 right now.
Posted By: SusanW Re: White Blood Count - will it ever be normal - 04-21-2010 05:00 AM
Wanda, I asked the nurse at Sloan today(with you in mind) about the wbc counts and she did say that it's not unusual for people to have low counts for 6 months or longer after chemo.

Is John having symptoms due to the low count?
Posted By: slim Re: White Blood Count - will it ever be normal - 04-21-2010 02:12 PM
[quote=SusanW]Wanda, I asked the nurse at Sloan today(with you in mind) about the wbc counts and she did say that it's not unusual for people to have low counts for 6 months or longer after chemo.

Is John having symptoms due to the low count? [/quote]

Hi. Thank you so much for thinking of us and asking the nurse. John's Oncologist didn't seem concerned at all. John's energy level is back and he feels good. He eats a great balanced diet, salad every night with dinner and takes lots of vitamins. He just thought being a year out of treatments that the WBC would be back to "normal". He doesn't go back to him until September. He told John that when they do the blood work in September they will also test his thyroid levels. He sees the ENT next month and the RO in June. Hope your hubby is doing o.k. Thinking of you often.
Posted By: SusanW Re: White Blood Count - will it ever be normal - 04-22-2010 02:41 AM
That is so great that John(and you) have a Dr free summer.
Dave seems to be doing good(let me knock some wood here). Thanks for thinking of us.

The tumor went down and so did the pain.

He's eating well, decent energy,minimal discomfort. For the first time his voice is getting hoarse tonight. I think I remember reading that's normal.

It may be the calm before the storm but we are both appreciating this time period.
This sure does teach you not to sweat the small stuff, doesn't it???
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum