Posted By: tristeve peripheral neuropathy - 03-13-2010 04:46 PM
Hello Friends,
Well I am not the daily visitor as I once was. I am 6 months post and doing well. Still have taste bud issues, slaiva is only so so but I getting better. Working and traveling full time again, that too is only soso!!!!
I do have a minor problem and have not seen it on the boards before
I have peripheral neuropathy from the Chemo. It is a tingleing in my toes and fingers, more an irritation than a problem and hopefully it will go away. There are drugs for it but I think I have had enough drugs for a while.
Has any one experienced this ?
Hope you are all doing well!
Steve
Posted By: DonB Re: peripheral neuropathy - 03-13-2010 06:25 PM
I had peripheral neuropathy following a treatment many years ago for a different psuedo-cancer/auto-immune related circulatory disorder.

The neuropathy diminished gradually over time, but it took many year to totally go away.

With mine, I often had episodes that felt more like electric shocks than tingling! Elbow and ankle 'shocks' were the worse.

My primary chemo/meds at that time were oral & IV Cytoxan, IV Solumedrol, oral Prednisone and oral minoxidil.

I beleive the neuropathy was primary attributed to the disease and Cytoxan. I also suffered kidney damage.

Hopefully your neuropathy will also diminish over time.
Posted By: EzJim Re: peripheral neuropathy - 03-13-2010 10:51 PM
I have the tingling sensation in my toes for the last over 2 years but have never mentioned it to my Drs, I don't need more meds gong into me. Hopefully one day it will just leave. It does get on your nerves tho and after sleeping it seems worse.
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: peripheral neuropathy - 03-18-2010 02:55 AM
Steve,
Well, I just made an appointment for this issue. I am 4 yrs out and this started last summer.?? I thought I would have had this when I first finished treatment, not 4 years later.
I have the tingling, burning & pain feelings. I also had the electric shocks off and on. I am also getting this in my hands as well. If I am up and moving around, it is better. At night is the worst. I do take Aleve, or I will take Amitriptyline which is for Fibromyalgia. I take this only at night to help me sleep. I wish I had some answers for you, but I don't, just understanding how you are feeling. Maybe someone else will give us some answers.. take care. smile
I had shingle about a year and a half ago. I am wondering if this is what started it all? I know how you feel.
Posted By: Lauren from LA Re: peripheral neuropathy - 05-14-2010 10:43 PM
I am 18 months post chemo-radiation, and I have an issue with my tongue that I think might be a neuropathy. It gets tingly and white, as if all the blood has drained out of it, and it is difficult to talk. And then it goes away. I have this daily. But once every couple of weeks, the blood completely drains from the tips of my left forefinger and middle finger, and they feel totally numb. I just assume this is from the radiation. None of my doctors know what to make of it or what to do about it.

Lauren
Posted By: ChuckF Re: peripheral neuropathy - 05-24-2010 05:09 PM
Steve,
I'm 6 years out and still have neuropathy issues with my feet. A numbness and tingling that I heard best described on this board as similar to walking in wet sand.
It's an annoyance, but nothing that is bad enough to start another drug.
It doesn't seem to be getting any worse ( or any better) at this point, so I just look at it as another gift from chemo to deal with. Not a real detriment to my quality of life.

Good health,

Chuck
Posted By: MikeC Re: peripheral neuropathy - 05-24-2010 11:49 PM
I am six months out of treatment. I have the numbness and tingling mostly in my right foot. It didn't really start until post treatment. I mentioned it to my Oncologist, and he said usually people only get that during chemo... like I am not supposed to have it now, even though I just told him I DO have it NOW... he didn't offer any treatment, just said I shouldn't have it... I plan to bring it up again at my six month scan results appointment.
Posted By: zengalib Re: peripheral neuropathy - 05-25-2010 03:27 PM
I have the numbness and tingling in my feet as well. It's not painful, but just annoying. My chemo guy said that it was most likely from the chemo treatments, even though I finished them in August. I never had it during chemo. He said that it could hang on for quite a while.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: peripheral neuropathy - 05-25-2010 06:14 PM
I had Cisplatin by itself and I never had any such feelings. Which chemo does your doc think causes this?
Posted By: zengalib Re: peripheral neuropathy - 05-25-2010 07:58 PM
I had Cisplatin, also. I guess that everybody is different.
Posted By: x28007 Re: peripheral neuropathy - 05-31-2010 04:18 AM
I felt a tingling in both arms from the shoulders down to the wrists for several weeks, but it eventually went away.
Posted By: Malka Re: peripheral neuropathy - 05-31-2010 11:36 AM
I had pn for many years before I had any later problems. About 14 years ago i thought that the problems were from new shoes and standing on my feet too much. When the pain became unbearable - I felt like I was walking on glass and my hands hurt (I thought perhaps tunnel carpel from painting and drawing, too much cutting and peeling in the kitchen and computer use) I went to a neurologist. I was given a long blood glucose test ( about 5 hr?) and had electroencephalogram testing. It was found that I was hypoglycemic and needed to go on a typical diabetic diet to relieve the "Hand and glove" symptoms. I find that pressure from shoes, leaning on my elbows or arm (like in an arm chair) and too much lack of movement such as driving and not moving my left foot can aggravate the condition. Also recently I have been "subjected" to about a month of a severe overabundance of candy and desserts and am havng pains in my feet again plus gained several pounds. The goodies are finished so now that temptation is out of the house the pain and pounds should leave.

In summary: Discuss this with your primary care physician and ask if you should have your blood checked for glucose tolerance with a long test. Untreated, this can lead to severe complications.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum