Posted By: Patcey1 Second Opinion - 03-11-2010 03:51 PM
Just heard from my doc that they can't get me an appointment with a head & neck guy in NJ for a 2nd opinion for resection and or reconstruction. Recommending that I try to get over to Philly (Fox Chase). Since I am Charity and Medicaid, it's up to me to facilitate this process on my own. I've called Social Services to put this into motion but now I wonder if it has to be Fox Chase. Problem is that I don't know anything about the hospitals or, more importantly, the doctors in Philly. I know U of P has a great reputation but so does Fox Chase. How do I make an informed decision?
Posted By: Leslie B Re: Second Opinion - 03-11-2010 04:20 PM
Posters here have been treated at both places -- I know Eileen was seen at Penn (Abramson Cancer Center) and Wilckdds was at Fox Chase. You might sent them both an e-mail or a private message (click on their profiles for information) and ask about their experiences.

Both places are NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers; Fox Chase is also part of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of 21 leading cancer centers that develops and publishes the annual treatment protocols.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Second Opinion - 03-11-2010 06:26 PM
I had my total laryngectomy and left ND at HUP and love my surgeon there. I however do not know if he does the type of surgery you will need. Anita Francis husband just had reconstruction done there which involved his jaw by a different surgeon who Suzanne didn't like. She moved on to Fox Chase. Both hospitals are very good. Obviously HUP is easier to get to for you. I know nothing about Medicaid or how this works with no insurance. I guess you would need to contact the hosptial social worker. email me if you have questions or want my surgeons name.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Patcey1 Re: Second Opinion - 03-11-2010 10:03 PM
Thanks! I've been on the phone all day trying to get past the bureaucratic bull...! The nurse consultant at Cooper has been a big help but at the end of the day I have no answers. If they do approve me to go over to Philly, I still don't know if I can pick my own hospital and/ or doctor. I don't even know yet if I'm a candidate for surgery; this all started because I wanted a second opinion. Tomorrow is another day!
Posted By: SusanW Re: Second Opinion - 03-12-2010 12:27 AM
Medicaid in NJ is often reluctant to pay for any out of state treatment.

Have you contacted anyone in the Medicaid office in your area to see if this is a limition for you?
Sloan has an outreach center in NJ but I don't know if they are Medicaid contracted.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. It must be very frustrating but keep advocating for yourself!!!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Second Opinion - 03-12-2010 01:00 AM
In Ohio, my friend that took off has it and they pick and choose for her. Some involve a lot of needless traveling too. I hope your state is different.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Second Opinion - 03-12-2010 02:26 AM
Hi, Patcey,

My husband had all his surgeries at Penn and we have been very happy with the care and the people there. The most recent jaw recon was done in November by an OralMax and a Plastic. The original cancer surgery back in 2007 was done by a Head and Neck surgeon and the same Plastic. If you want numbers for any of these, send me a PM. I would also be happy to call you, too.

Most surgeons and hospitals will be happy to recommend other surgeons for second opinions. If that doesn't work, you could always call the Nurse Practitioner at each of the surgeons and speak directly to him/her. They may be able to answer some of your questions, thereby helping you make a decision on who to go to.

All the best-
Anita
Posted By: Gary Re: Second Opinion - 03-12-2010 04:55 AM
I may be wrong about this but institutions receiving public money must take uninsured patients. I would shoot for Memorial Sloan Kettering since they are the top comprehensive cancer center in the US. I am sure that the clinic in NJ would be overseen by the main facility in NY.

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/662.cfm
Posted By: EzJim Re: Second Opinion - 03-12-2010 09:25 AM
The patients with medicaid, do have ins. Medicaid is it .
Posted By: Patcey1 Re: Second Opinion - 03-12-2010 06:02 PM
I received a call this morning from Fox Chase to tell me I have been approved by Medicaid. Seems that my doc at Cooper puts the name of the institution they are recommending on the letter of necessity that Medicaid requires to okay going out of state. The choice has already been made for me!
Posted By: Eileen Re: Second Opinion - 03-12-2010 07:37 PM
That's great news Patcey. I'm certain you will be in good hands. email Suzanne or Jerry. They both were treated there. Sloan's facility is in north Jersey so would be quite a commute, but doable it you had to. Fox Chase should be closer.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Patcey1 Re: Second Opinion - 03-12-2010 09:04 PM
Thanks! Will do!
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Second Opinion - 03-15-2010 02:53 AM
Suzanne and I both see different docs at Fox Chase.

Neither of us had treatment that was anywhere near as complex as yours, however many patients there have.

It is a great facility with top notch practitioners.

Feel free to email me and I will be more than happy to answer any questions that you have.

I also do volunteer work at Fox Chase.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum