Posted By: EzJim Oncologist visit - 03-09-2010 09:37 PM
Well, I saw my Oncologist this afternoon and he checked me good. He told me I might not have lost my hair, but I sure do have some severe radiation burns on my tongue, under it, throughout my mouth and into my throat. This seems to be getting worse as time goes on. He was awfully glad I was smart enough to tell the Dr at West Virginia University Hosp that I wasn't going to let him cut me up. He said that was the best decision I have made. He offered me more pain pills but I declined. Now I have 6 months before the next appt. I told him about the trouble I have eating and he said it will continue this way for a long time. ZOWEEEEEEEEEEEE LOL
Posted By: Donnarose Re: Oncologist visit - 03-10-2010 02:24 AM
Hey Jim,
So happy to hear you are doing well. Sorry about the pain from tx's; my mom is sitting beside me in awful pain, in tears. they did a needle biospy under her chin, left jaw and it is now causing her such grief, and draining-oozing like. She is so disgusted and hasn't had a day of being pain free in over 3 years...hard to witness. she's so down. any suggestions?

love,
D
Posted By: EzJim Re: Oncologist visit - 03-10-2010 03:31 AM
I wish I did Donna,especially since it's your mom. That is a sensitive area and has to hurt. It's been 3 years for me too but I am probably younger then she is and can take pain I still remember the needle biopsy I had below my right ear. That damn thing hurt like all get out so I know she has to be miserable. Give her a big hug but watch her chin . Give her one for me too will ya?
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Oncologist visit - 03-10-2010 02:31 PM
Donna,
Pain can be so maddening. Can you keep calling her Dr and demand something stronger? No one should be in the kind of pain your Mom is in.

Jim,
I feel so bad that you still have pain issues, too. Also, very glad to read in another post that you are considering getting some pain relief from your Dr. If it makes your life easier, then do it.

Anita
Posted By: julieann Re: Oncologist visit - 03-10-2010 04:59 PM
Hi Jim:

Six months before your next oncology appointment grin! Aren't those the most wonderful words you can hear? Congratulations.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Oncologist visit - 03-10-2010 10:55 PM
Thank you both and yes they are words to make one smile. But this pain is unyielding and hurts 24/7. I'm waiting for a call from the Dr now.
Posted By: Gabe Re: Oncologist visit - 03-10-2010 11:05 PM
Hope you get the call soon Jim. When I first read your post and you wrote that you declined the pain meds my first thought was you should have accepted them even if you were not going to take them.
That's what I have done in the past and have a supply of "just in case" stuff there. Makes me feel better just knowing it is there if needed.
Sounds like I am preaching doesn't it wink Don't mean to..I guess it is just one of those hindsight is wonderful moments!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Oncologist visit - 03-11-2010 01:55 AM
I need someone to chew my butt out for being a hrad head. LOL
Posted By: SusanW Re: Oncologist visit - 03-11-2010 04:03 AM
Jim, I'm so sorry to hear that you're experiencing such discomfort. I was actually surprised when I read this. I haven't been around here long but I noticed right away that you are always one of the first to have a kind, encouraging word for someone else.
And what a sense of humor. I often find myself smiling when I read your words. And this while you are in pain??? Wow.

I hope you choose to at least get the pain killers to have on hand. At my counseling center we have quite a few folks addicted to prescription meds. So,I end up at a lot of conferences on pain management. I think there has been some good research out there that shows that appropriately taking pain medication when needed can speed healing.
I hope you get some relief very soon.

And Donna, I hope the same for your mom. I hate seeing my husband in pain. it's such a helpless feeling,isn't it???
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Oncologist visit - 03-11-2010 04:22 AM
Your appointment must have gone very well if they dont want you back for 6 months. Congrats!!!! If you are hurting, why turn down the extra pain meds? Nobody should be in so much pain. Hope you feel better soon.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Oncologist visit - 03-11-2010 08:00 PM
It did go well except he kept appologizing for hurting me. LOL I told him to do what he had to and get it over with. He =just laughed and did his hurt ya more procedure to me. I was glad to hear 6 months for sure.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Oncologist visit - 03-12-2010 01:04 AM
I see my ENT tomorrow after he gets finished with some surgery. His nurse called and told me she will call me and give me a time. I will just get the pain pill script from him for breakthru pain. This saves me a trip because they can't phone in any narcotic meds, you need a script from the Dr. He's in the same Hospital my Oncologist is.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Oncologist visit - 03-12-2010 02:27 AM
Good for you, Jim! Pain, pain go away...

Anita
Posted By: EzJim Re: Oncologist visit - 03-12-2010 05:53 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR It happened again, the Dr has an emergency after doing 2 so far today and now I see him Tuesday at 10:15. It's fine with me because I will live thru this and whoever needed surgery has a good Dr to perform it.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum