Posted By: beeboppin5 Disability Claim? - 02-28-2010 12:04 AM
I will have surgery on March 8th to remove part of my tongue and replace it with a wrist flap. I am a teacher and don't know if I will be able to speak well after the surgery. Does anyone know about People with Disabilities Act and how it may protect me? Can I apply for disability funding?

Thanks,
Barb
Posted By: wheels Re: Disability Claim? - 02-28-2010 01:45 AM
Barb,

First, get paper work filled out and signed for Family Medical Leave. That is good for 16 weeks, to protect your job. It isn't income but job protection. Do you have short term disability or paid leave? I don't think any of us know, when we firs start this journey what the future will hold, will we be able to work or not, but these are some initial steps you can take until you get a better idea of the future. Best wishes for successful surgery and healing.

Sharon
Posted By: beeboppin5 Re: Disability Claim? - 02-28-2010 03:11 AM
Thanks Sharon,

I gave the paperwork to my doctor yesterday and will be able to tap into my school district's sick bank for up to 45 days of paid leave. I also just talked to my aunt who said to apply for disability early because it takes 3 to 5 months to obtain. If I have a new job for the new school year, I will be fine, but if not.....

Barb
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Disability Claim? - 03-03-2010 02:11 AM

I understand your fears about not being able to return to your former job. Ive had OC 3 times and so far have twice returned to my job as a telephone consultant. This time around Im still recovering so Im not sure what the future holds. Wishing you the best of luck with everything. Hoping you will recover well enough to continue with your career.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Disability Claim? - 03-03-2010 06:28 AM
Why not go for SSI? That is what it is for , but you might have to get a lawyer to help you. The government pays them thier fee , not you,. I had to get one and the judge told me in court to not give him anything because the governemnt paid them.
Posted By: dadof3girls Re: Disability Claim? - 03-19-2010 01:55 PM
Yes I would apply for social security disability soon as possible. You might get lucky like me and get approved the first time, You still will wait five months before your first payment.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Disability Claim? - 03-20-2010 12:28 AM
They will pay you back to when you had to quit working up to 5 years. My 1st check was over $ 48,000 but I had to give over $18,000 back to the mill for extra sick pay they gave me.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum