Posted By: Bob Wilson Pilocarpine (AKA, Salagen) Mouthwash - 11-24-2007 02:56 PM
Not really an adjunctive therapy... more like an alternative form of conventional treatment for post-radiation dry mouth.

I had to do the leg work on this, but it paid off. Although not generally available, I was able to show my MO published trial results and convince him to write a prescription:
Pilocarpine 1% solution by volume, 1 teaspoonful PO bid (swish/spit after 2 minutes)

The advantage of the mouthwash version is that it is instant acting, reportedly long lasting, and has none of the side-effects of the oral (pill) version. The studies I found online had partipant results claiming 12-36 hours relief from just one use of the mouthwash solution. My results were not as good (~ 6hrs), but enough so that I have been able to cut my oral Pilocarpine use down to one 5mg pill/day, and sleep through the night (no more frequent urination and phlegm buildup because of the oral Pilocarpine).

There are a few downsides to the mouthwash though.
1) You'll need to find a compounding pharmacy that will work with you to come up with a palatable formulation. A standard pharmacy can't fill the Rx.
2) Liquid Pilocarpine has a short shelf life, so you won't be able to purchase more than a 45-60 day supply at a time.
3) It's expensive...and most insurance doesn't cover it (yet). Shop around, as price varies considerably.

I hope this helps someone... it did me!

-Bob
Posted By: mshoe Re: Pilocarpine (AKA, Salagen) Mouthwash - 11-26-2007 12:48 PM
Bob

I'm very interested in what you have found with Philocarpine mouthwash. Would you send out a pointer to the research you mentioned?

thanks

marilyn
Posted By: Nelie Re: Pilocarpine (AKA, Salagen) Mouthwash - 11-27-2007 01:17 AM
Yes, I'd like a reference to the published trial results too since I might be able to convince my ENT to help me get this if I have the data in hand......
Interesting !

Good catch Bob
Posted By: KristyN Re: Pilocarpine (AKA, Salagen) Mouthwash - 03-01-2008 07:23 PM
What is PO bid?
Posted By: ZendaT Re: Pilocarpine (AKA, Salagen) Mouthwash - 03-02-2008 12:24 PM
PO BID = by mouth twice a day
Posted By: ken k Re: Pilocarpine (AKA, Salagen) Mouthwash - 07-22-2008 09:09 PM
Hello Bob,

I am writing regarding your post about the mouthwash version of Pilocarpine (Salagen). My husband Ken still has no saliva after 4 yrs. Oral Salagen does not seem to help and we have tried many other products. Nothing works. I saw a pharmacist today who said he could mix the Pilocarpine solution but he said he needs to know what else is mixed with the solution? You said 1% solution by volume-with what is it mixed?

Hope you see this post and can help.

Thanks.
Linda K.

Posted By: ken k Re: Pilocarpine (AKA, Salagen) Mouthwash - 07-23-2008 01:52 PM
Hello BOb,

Thank you for your reply regarding the Pilocarpine solution. My husband drinks water 24/7 and chewing gum helps at times. After 4 yrs. he still gets a lot of phlegm. We did try a new product called Caphosol but expensive. It did help get him through the night without having to gargle.

He has never tried Mucinex but he is on a lot of medication so we have to be sure it does not interfere with any of his meds.

I may have my pharmacist call the pharmacy you mentioned. At least he can give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Linda K.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum