Posted By: nicki74 Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 12-12-2010 08:50 PM
hi has anyone ever heard of vitamin c being able to stop/slow down the growth of cancerous tumors? i have been doing some research on this and i have found some pretty interesting things out there.. of course government will never bring this sort of thing to our attention...

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 12-12-2010 09:26 PM
The place to post these types of theories is under adjunctive therapy. A balanced diet is always better than being a junk food junkie. There is no government conspiracy theory going on. As long as people will believe in a cure there will be people who take advantage of them. The only methods that work with curing cancer are chemo, radiation and surgery.

Make sure you ask the doctor before implementing any diet or vitamin changes. Some vitamins can cause problems for cancer patients. There can be bad side effects between vitamins and certain medications.
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 12-12-2010 09:34 PM
Nicki,

I read the same thing about a week ago. It was on TV not sure where.

Connie
Posted By: monicacc Re: Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 12-12-2010 11:55 PM
Hi Nicki,
Vit C and zinc are wonderful for boosting the immune system and also in helping the body to heal and recover post-surgery or illness. AS far as reducing the size of tumors - I'd be sceptical.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 12-13-2010 12:44 AM
Nicki

I know you are desperate to help your dad, but vitamins are not going to do the trick. We all want and wish for some alternatives to being poisoned, cut and burned but there simply aren't any out there, at least for our cancer. As for a government conspiracy to suppress this or any other type of "secret cure", Christine puts it so much nicer than I ever did with a simple statement of fact: there is none.

I see your Dad is younger than me so that's in favor of his recovery. Remember that Dr. Google is an idiot savant. It shows your good common sense to run such studies by the OCF forum. We've heard most of them and understand why they sound so true. For example, many oral cancer patients find that taking Zinc supplements helped them regain their sense of taste faster. Believe me when I say that nobody's sorrier than me that vitamins don't stop cancer from coming back.
Charm
Posted By: nicki74 Re: Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 12-14-2010 03:31 PM
hi thank you both for your responses.. i do wish for you guys and of course my dad that was something out there too.. in my prayers..

nichole
Posted By: Eileen Re: Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 12-21-2010 10:43 PM
For what its worth, my dietician at HUP put me on Vit C, Zinc, a multvitiamin and Vit E AFTER I had radiation in 1997 to 'boost the immune system and improve healing'. Vit E has since become a no-no. I added a Vit B50 complex to improve my nails among other things. My RO said take no vitamins during treatment. Not certain that is true anymore either.

I took this regimen for years and then developed an allergic reaction to all of them causing severe diarrhea. Took me a couple of years to figure that out, but when I stopped all of them, the diarrhea went away.

As with all supplements, check with your doctor before taking anything.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Elianne Re: Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 12-31-2010 09:16 PM
I think the "no vitamin" rule during treatment may still hold true in some cases. Gordon was told to discontinue everything, especially vit. B and anti-oxidants, during treatment because they could interfere with the cisplatin (chemo). It's always best to check with your MO about any of this stuff. Anne
Posted By: Gary Re: Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B6 - 01-05-2011 09:01 PM
Zinc will interefere with antibiotics as well.

Dose rates:
Typical daily doses range widely from 12 to 150 mg daily as free zinc or up to 220 mg as zinc sulfate. Avoid high-dose, long-term zinc supplementation.

OD'ing on zinc, can be very bad - never exceed the maximum dose rates and factor in the zinc naturally found in your diet.

Meat and/or fish have plenty of zinc so if you can eat those then supplementation is unneccessary.

As others have stated here don't take any supplements or antioxidants during treatment.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum