Posted By: Pete D Cost of PET and CT scans - 02-12-2007 04:18 PM
Here's the financial damage from my PET/CT scans, for which I just got the bill. BTW, it was a combined PET and CT scan (skull base to mid-thigh per my request for a full-body scan), also called a "Fusion" because of the software linking the two scans. I don't know what the cost would have been for a shorter set of scans.

Billed price for scans: $3050.00
Billed price for Doc report: 500.00

less network discount for scans: -363.65
less network discount for Doc: -250.00

Total 2936.35

My share, under 80%/20% plan $587.27

In this case, my cost is actually somewhat higher because I have not met my annual deductible, but I chose to exclude that because it is really a timing event and dependent on other services I may or may not have paid year to date.

For those who may not know what a 'network discount', that's an agreed price reduction from the 'list' price of the service between the insco and a 'preferred provider'.
Posted By: Gary Re: Cost of PET and CT scans - 02-13-2007 10:09 PM
I am sure glad that I have Kaiser. I pay 50 bucks for any type of scan except chest x-rays which are 10 bucks. The reading/report is free.
Doctors visits are 5 bucks as are generic meds (name brand 15bucks). ER, as I found out last Sunday, is 100 bucks. It does almost $1500/mo for my wife and I...
Posted By: tizz Re: Cost of PET and CT scans - 02-14-2007 08:30 PM
Boy, we must have it lucky 'Down Under'. My PET/CT was covered by the government as it was done in a hospital. Not one cent did I pay!

If procedures are done outside a hospital, say a private clinic, yes I have to pay. A CT costs around AUD$400, and Medicare gives some rebate, though not as much as I'd like frown

Cheers!

Tizz (who does not know how long this system will be so kind)
Posted By: Pete D Re: Cost of PET and CT scans - 02-15-2007 10:00 PM
If I'd been on a HMO plan and IF I could have talked my Doc into getting the full-body scan, likely the plan would have paid for the whole thing.

I have chosen the plan I have because it gives ME the choice to go outside the PPO (preferred provider organization) if I choose and still have coverage, albeit without the in-network discounts and still having to pay the 20% (up to $2,000 out-of-pocket per year, BTW, after which the insco pays it all -- That happened in the calendar year in which I started surgery/rad -- I paid $2K and the insco paid more than $30K). I have the insurance to cover the really big stuf -- $600 isn't a trivial amount until one compares it to $30K!!

For example, if going to a CCC was NOT on the insco's list of providers or within the guidelines of local HMOs, I still had the choice to go anyway and be covered after $2K out-of-pocket -- In fact, I could exercise choice to choose among ALL the US CCCs to use the best!

Things are not always what they seem to be at first!
Posted By: Gary Re: Cost of PET and CT scans - 02-16-2007 05:34 AM
Even in an HMO they can sometimes refer you out. Kaiser picked up the entire cost of my RO and treatment at UCSF CCC. I also had one of the best RO's in the US. I didn't even have a copay - not even for CT's done at the CCC
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum