My mom just got thru with Tonsil Cancer and Radiation. Now she needs a prosthesis and dental implants and has NO money and NO dental insurance. she's on medicare and social security. does anyone else have this problem? can anyone suggest Oral prosthodontic dentistry that will take payments in Portland Oregon?
Dear Mistie, my first thought is that since your Mom had radiation, it may be awhile before her gums are ready to accept implants. Has anyone told her how soon she might be ready for this? The rad tx. may result in changes to the inside of her mouth for some time to come. Hopefully, Jerry and Brian can speak to this. Amy
Mistie, I was told not to even THINK about doing anything about missing teeth for a minimum of six months. Implants are very expensive and were not covered by either my dental or medical insurance.

That said, in Portland, I would contact the Oregon Health Sciences University Dental School. When I lived there, I was aware that they took many patients who were without insurance.

Depending upon where the radiation field was, she may need 30 hyperbaric treatments if she is going to have implants. When I was treated, only Providence Hospital in Portland has a Hyperbaric Oxygen Department. I stay in touch with one of the nurses who works there, and I am sure I would have heard if there was another center open. My medical insurance paid for those, and Medicare might also.

You will need the waiting period to explore all these things.

Good luck!
thank you both for your help.
Mistie
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum