Posted By: Andrea two policies - 09-27-2005 09:08 PM
My husband and I both have insurance policies through our workplace. Mine is paying my bills right now, but there is a very good chance I will not be working for the company long (especially if my recovery takes more than 12 weeks...the extent of the family medical leave act).
My question is, should I file NOW, at the beginning of treatment, on my husband's policy too? I hate to foul up the works and have the two companies fighting over who will pay what.
Anyone with experience/knowledge about how this would work best, I would sure appreciate some input!
Posted By: Nelie Re: two policies - 09-28-2005 09:24 AM
Are you on your husbands policy now? My udnerstanding is,if so, you are obligated to inform the hosptial that does the billing that you have a second policy (I was double-covered briefly by my and hubby's policy and had some minor medical issues during that time--but I only had one policy when I was diagnosed with cancer).

I think they WILL fight over who pays what and I think this ebcause somehow my insurance company got billed by Roswell Park for radiation and they had mistakenly billed blue cross/blue shield of Western NY first (I had BC/BS of Central NY) and so my insurance company responded that my othrer policy should pay! I am still trying to make it clear to them that I HAVE no other policy--it was Roswell Park's error!

Insurance is so much fun....
Posted By: Andrea Re: two policies - 09-28-2005 09:59 AM
Thanks for the answer. I really need to look into all this in minute detail, 'cause the "fun" is just starting!!
Posted By: JAM Re: two policies - 09-30-2005 11:02 PM
Andrea, my best advice to you is to keep a detailed notebook of every EOB[Explaination Of Benefits] that you get in the mail, along with each Dr's statement. We have been fighting with my husband's ins. co. since this started and some of it has been ugly :rolleyes: His ins. company has played games with which Dr's and facilities are "in or out of our network", even tho we had no choice about most of them. They have questioned some of the procedures and some of the billing. You need to establish a good rapport with the billing offices of the Dr's involved, so that if[when] you have a problem with the Ins co., you can communicate with them. Don't throw ANYTHING away- keep a list of all appointments, hospital charges, etc. etc. You probably will not fell like battling this yourself, so get someone in your family to do it for you. Amy
Posted By: Cathy G Re: two policies - 10-01-2005 09:17 AM
Andrea,

Just to add a point to what Amy said about having someone in your family tracking things -- depending on whose plan you end up on, it can also be helpful if there's someone in the company HR department who can also go to bat for you. While I was going through treatment, I was fortunate to have someone in our HR/benefits group who was well aware of my situation and was handling many of the insurance "push-back" issues without dragging me into it on a daily basis.

Cathy
Posted By: Andrea Re: two policies - 10-01-2005 09:42 AM
Funny you should mention that, just yesterday I talked to our girl on the frontlines of the insurance battle and let her know what was up. Thanks for your post. It's good to know I was headed in the right direction!

A.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum