Posted By: Marcy Radical neck dissection - 11-22-2003 03:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I am back to ask another question for anyone who had a radical neck dissection and radiation.
My sister had both, with her surgery being done about 7 weeks ago. Her face is still extremely swollen. She went to PT this week and they told her the swelling would probally never go away.
Is there anyone out there who had this kind of swelling and it did go away?

Thank you,
Michelle
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Radical neck dissection - 11-22-2003 10:52 PM
Hello Marcy,

My name is Daniel Bogan and I live in Kaukauna, WI
I had a neck resection and radiation. My face was swelled up for a few days and it came back to normal size. I think each case is unique in the treatment and side effects. What type of radiation is your sister scheduled to have? If they removed alot of lymph nodes that may account for the swelling in her face and neck. I think in time this will go down. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will answer your post.

Take Care and my best wishes to your sister, Dan
Posted By: Marcy Re: Radical neck dissection - 11-23-2003 06:43 PM
Hi Dan,

My sister already had her radiation. She couldn't have her neck dissection done until after radiation because of the amount of cancer she had. She had seven weeks of radiation.
She had all of her lymph nodes out on the left, also her internal jugular vein and the sternomastoid muscle. The doctor told her he took out everything that could come out.
Thanks for your reply..and God bless you.

Michelle
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum