Posted By: jklamert Lodging Concern - 07-04-2014 09:38 PM
Hi Y'all, I am very new here. We have JUST begun our journey 3 days ago and I am trying to plan ahead. We may have the option of having my husband treated at MD Anderson. Ideally, that IS what we want. My concern (fear) if we do is affording somewhere to stay. At BAMC in San Antonio there is the Fisher House for us (an Army provided home). We will, of course, have the regular bills associated with our home, even when gone, and the added expense of affording someone to tend to our horses and chickens, so renting a place or getting a hotel, however inexpensive, is definitely NOT in the budget unless there is some kind of assistance I have yet to learn about. Should we even bother trying for MD Anderson with such a concern or just stick with BAMC where we know we'll have lodging provided? What would you do? What are your thoughts? Thanks, Y'all!
Posted By: jklamert Re: Lodging Concern - 07-04-2014 09:48 PM
So i kept looking and reading in here and thru various links of resources from y'all amazing folks (THANK YOU!) i found there is a Fisher House in Houston! And various other options! Yay! Big relief!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Lodging Concern - 07-04-2014 10:28 PM
Also MDA should have a Social worker that may be able to provide or find assistance. There are lots of non profits out there to help cancer patients, you just need to find a person who knows which ones can help you.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lodging Concern - 07-05-2014 01:18 AM
If you are in the Houston area, in October there will be a walk. Not sure if your husband will feel up to attending but maybe you could go? This year I will be at the Houston event and would love to meet other members. If you are closer to San Antonio, we also have a walk there every April hosted by my dear friend and fellow survivor, Elizabeth.

OCF Houston walk
Posted By: jklamert Re: Lodging Concern - 07-05-2014 06:13 PM
We are up at Ft Hood, but a drive down there is very doable! smile I also just happily learned last night that my Sister has friends in Houston, so no matter what we would have a place to stay for treatment! smile Much relief on that front!
Posted By: n74tg Re: Lodging Concern - 07-20-2014 12:13 PM
Hi JK - good news about the place to stay. I just sent you a PM, look for blinking envelope at top of page.

Tony

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum