Posted By: Cookey That dentist again - 09-02-2009 07:51 AM
Robs dentist is back in court to have a review of his one year supervision order.I was asked if i would like to comment on him being returned to full practise and i have posted my reply. This man got off way to lightly and he is about to carry on as if nothing happened.I wish it was that easy!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
"When my husband attended Mr. Dhamecha�s dental practice he was entitled too expect the best treatment and advice available from the information he provided.
Despite him telling Mr. Dhamecha that he had had a sore on his tongue for several weeks and his denture being unwearable because it was broken Mr. Dhamecha diagnosed the ulcer as traumatic. When the new denture was fitted Robin was told to return if it gave him any problem. He was not told to return if the ulcer did not heal and he was not given a further appointment for the dentist to check on it, as I believe he should have been.

In the committees ruling it was decided that it was quite acceptable for Mr. Dhamecha to assume the ulcer was traumatic and it was also decided that due to his previous good record and the testimonials of a few satisfied patients it was also acceptable to give him the benefit of the doubt about his version of the story.

Considering that two hours before the hearing was due to start, by his own admission Mr. Dhamecha was proved beyond any doubt to have been lying throughout the 18 month investigation by the GDC and has also been seen to have altered records concerning my husbands visits, I see absolutely no foundation for this decision to give him so much consideration.

Information regarding guidelines for dentists on the early detection of Oral Cancer is freely available to health professionals and the general public and statistics about the importance of early detection and diagnosis are well documented.
My husband�s chances of surviving his cancer were immediately reduced by 50% once his secondary tumour appeared in November of 2006, just 4 weeks after his last appointment with Mr.Dhamecha, and I find the assumption that the six month delay in diagnosis had no direct effect on his chance of survival to show a level of disregard for medical evidence that is beyond belief.

Robin�s primary tumour on his tongue was very small and could have been easily dealt with in June or July of 2006 giving him a good chance of a full recovery. The secondary tumour in his parotid gland, which developed over the following 5 months, was already 5cm by the time it was removed. This was the site of his recurrence just a few weeks after completion of his treatment, and ultimately the cause of the agonizing death he experienced.

Robin and I put our complete faith in the General Dental Council and it was as a result of their long and painstaking investigation that Mr. Dhamecha appeared before you. I would doubt if so much time and money would have been spent if they were not completely satisfied that Mr. Dhamecha had a serious case to answer and I am sure that they feel as strongly as I do that we were seriously let down by your decision.

I personally find it baffling that the committee appeared to attach greater weight to the character references they received on Mr. Dhamecha�s behalf, than to the substandard care my husband received, his poor record keeping and the fact that by his own admission he had lied in his evidence regarding the October appointments.
I am also very concerned that the committee accepted much of Mr.Dhamechas evidence as truthful in spite of the fact that he admitted he had lied.

In light of these issues I believe his fitness to practice continues to be impaired and I do not feel that the sanctions issued by the committee in 2008 reflect the seriousness of the matters raised and the shortcomings in Mr.Dhamecha�s conduct which were identified.
I do not accept that Mr.Dhamecha poses no risk and I note from the GDC decision when considering the issue of impairment and fitness to practice account must be taken of

�The need to protect the individual patient and the collective need to maintain confidence in the profession as well as declaring and upholding the proper standards of conduct and behavior which the public expect and the public interest includes amongst other things the protection of patients and maintenance of public confidence in the profession.

In my opinion Mr.Dhameca�s well documented conduct is likely to reduce public confidence in the profession and this will be further reduced by what I consider to be wholly inadequate sanctions. The fact that Mr.Dhamecha chose at the last minute to �fall on his sword� should have carried no weight in this decision. "

This is the statement of Mrs. Isabella Hamilton Read Dated July 31st 2009

Posted By: WendyG Re: That dentist again - 09-02-2009 09:00 AM
Oh Liz, let's hope he doesn't get away with this. Congratulations on such a well written statement though. Surely they will take notice of this. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome for you.
Posted By: Cookey Re: That dentist again - 09-02-2009 02:09 PM
Thanks sweetie. xx
Posted By: EzJim Re: That dentist again - 09-02-2009 03:38 PM
As always Liz, you have the command of the English language and put thw words exacty in order,
Posted By: davidcpa Re: That dentist again - 09-02-2009 07:55 PM
U GO GIRL!!!
Posted By: helen.c Re: That dentist again - 09-02-2009 11:25 PM
Liz

No way should a medical professional in the UK get away with killing a patient..
Some times our wheels grind slow, but we here always expect 100% from our practitioners, medical or Dental.

Don't let up lady
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: wilckdds Re: That dentist again - 09-03-2009 01:15 AM
Liz,

You have done a spectacular job of making your case. There's no question that this guy is a disgrace to my profession and his punishment is much less than he deserved. Even if you remove the malpractice from the equation, the fact that he modified his records, would have been enough for him to probably lose his liscense in the states.

I hope justice is done this time around.

Good luck.

Jerry
Posted By: Marlene41 Re: That dentist again - 09-03-2009 03:59 AM
Good luck, Liz!
The guy is a disgrace to his profession.
Marlene
Posted By: EricS Re: That dentist again - 09-03-2009 05:50 AM
Good luck Liz, you are one badass gal, keep on it!
Posted By: Cookey Re: That dentist again - 09-03-2009 06:45 AM
For anyone interested in what is happening in the case this link will take you too the GDC page then click on the dentists name.Reading it all 1 year on just gets my blood boiling all over again.The legal profession really do like to "blur" the edges with their complicated jargon don't they?

Nalin Dhamecha review of hearing
Posted By: Cookey Re: That dentist again - 09-04-2009 12:33 PM
This waiting is doing my head in,the hearing was supposed to be over yesterday.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: That dentist again - 09-04-2009 01:04 PM
As the saying goes....All good things come to those that wait.
Posted By: Jeanna F Re: That dentist again - 09-04-2009 01:08 PM
Mmmmm like your style Cookey. Girl after my own heart. Right behind you honey. Should i go down this path with Rod's GP? Same smell.....different day??.....
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: That dentist again - 09-05-2009 05:30 PM
Cookey,
I'm sorry that this situation has ocurred and that a member of my profession has done wrong.
I have stated on many occasions that this sort of thing should not happen. Unfortunately it does. I hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist for this.
All the best.
Mike
Posted By: Cookey Re: That dentist again - 09-05-2009 07:39 PM
Thanks Mike

he has served twelve months of supervised practise and he is categorised as impaired due to misconduct.this hearing is to debate his return to free and unsupervised practice.I wrote my statement just to reiterate the fact that i believe the lying miscreant should have been struck off and should never be free to practice dentistry again.
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: That dentist again - 09-05-2009 08:02 PM
Cookey,
If he did what you say he did and as well misdiagnosed an intraoral lesion he deserves every bit of the sentence you have described.
12 months of supervised practice seems a little lite to me.
Who am I though? It would not be appropriate for me to comment on the sanctions placed upon his practice.
All the best,
Mike
Posted By: Cookey Re: That dentist again - 09-06-2009 06:39 AM
Mike
Throughout the two years of the inital investigation started while rob was still alive,this man stated quite catagorically in writing that he saw no lesion on robs tongue when he saw him in October(4 weeks later he had a 5 cm secondary in his parotid gland)On the day of the trial,he withdrew this statement and changed his plea to guilty.Despite this absolute proof of his dishonesty,and the fact he altered his records by crossing out enteries he had made so they couldn't be read,he was given the benefit of the doubt regarding his failure to follow up Robs tongue lesion that he DID observe and record six months previously in May.The board decided his exemplory record,and testimonials by patients and colleagues meant they could overlook this mistake and it was fair for him to PRESUME the lesion was traumatic and caused by a broken denture and required no follow up,and this in no way contributed to wards robe death.
The statement in the summing up that i find totally unacceptable is that his admitted negligence in october would have no affect on the outcome of robs life as he was going to die anyway by then.HOW COULD THEY SAY SUCH A THING.At the time of his diagnosis even Robs surgeons gave him a 90% chance of a ten year survival,but this is the ignorant attitude we all struggle against.Oral cancer means death!!!!thats crap and we both know that.The main point of my fight is that the dentists failure to follow up robs lesion in May WAS a major contributing factor in his death.Six months is a long time for a cancer to grow ,but the committee put absolutely no weight behind "early detection saves live"

Its like beating your head against a brick wall and this argument is wearing me down and out.How can professional people be so blinkered?
Posted By: Malka Re: That dentist again - 09-06-2009 04:29 PM
Liz,
I am so sorry that this could not have been persued in a court of law. You are to be commended for your persistant public statements. Keep up the fight.
Malka
Posted By: EzJim Re: That dentist again - 09-07-2009 11:11 AM
I want Liz in my corner. I love a great fighter that doesn't know the word QUIT. Get em Liz.
Posted By: August Re: That dentist again - 09-09-2009 04:48 AM
My cancer was noted as periodontal disease and ignored for 8 months, through TWO more appointments. Because of this, I lost more tissue, of course, than I would have and am having difficulty getting an obturator appliance to function satisfactorily. So far, I do not have metastasis, but if I discover some metastasis, it will be because my dentist allowed my cancer to grow for 8 months without interruption!! I considered taking him to court, but I was too busy focusing on recovering. By the time it was clear to me that he had been guilty of "failure to diagose" my cancer, the one-year statute of limitations for filing had expired.

So....a word to the wise: If you even remotely think you want to file suit, at least file the suit before one year. You do not have to pursue it if you change your mind, but get it on the books so that you have the option.

Liz, we're proud of you!!! XO
Posted By: Cookey Re: That dentist again - 09-09-2009 05:09 AM
Thanks sweetie
nice to see you back xx
Posted By: Cookey Re: That dentist again - 09-09-2009 05:33 PM
There are no words

Mr.Dhamecha

On 5th September 2008 the professional conduct committee found your fitness to practise impaired by reason of your misconduct. This finding was due to two occasions in October 2006 when you failed to observe a significant lesion on a patients tongue. These omissions did not cause or contribute to the patients death however the PCC found that they were serious omissions which impacted on and breached the duty of the profession to protect patients from harm.

The committee imposed conditions upon your practise for a period of twelve months. Those conditions required you to attend continuing professional development courses relating to recognition and management of oral mucosa disorders and to maintain a reflective log concerning the presentation and management of a selection of patients with oral mucosal disorders.
Today the committee has heard submissions relating to the findings of the original hearings of this case. The committee has also heard from Mr Horne on your behalf as well as receiving the benefit of several live testimonial witnesses who were able to give evidence in relation to your character and clinical capabilities. The committee has also heard and accepted the advice of a legal advisor.
The committee has looked carefully at the log created by you in respect of your patients with oral mucosal disorders. It was impressed to note that you included all of your patients that fell into this category rather than just limiting to yourself to a selection as requested. The committee was also impressed to note that you fulfilled a greater number of hours than were requested of you.
The committee was impressed by your oral evidence. Your continued insight into your shortcomings you demonstrated in October 2006 and the regret at your oversights were very apparent. The committee is assured that you have taken all the steps you can in order to ensure that such a situation will not arise again.
The committee noted the positive testimonials and references put before it. The evidence about you by your live witnesses was of considerable weight .Two of your witnesses had detailed professional knowledge of your work and both spoke well of you and of the high standards you aspire to. A third witness is your dental nurse and she considers you to be the best dentist she has worked with. The confidence that all the witnesses have in your ability as a practitioner and your strength of character as a person is also of great assurance to the committee.
You have demonstrated through the documentation presented, your own evidence and the evidence of your witnesses that you are competent hard working fractioned who has learnt from past mistakes. The committee is in no doubt that you doing not pose a risk to patients nor does it see that there is any public interest in continuing to affect your registration in any way. The committee has therefore decided to revoke the conditions on your registration with immediate effect.

Posted By: Marica Re: That dentist again - 09-09-2009 08:48 PM
This really is a smack in the mouth.
This is a perfect example of an "Old Boys Club" ..next thing they will be giving him an award..they should be ashamed of themselves.
Posted By: Gabe Re: That dentist again - 09-09-2009 11:16 PM
Sorry Liz and I can see why you have no words...I do...
F%&+#@ng H#!**
Posted By: wilckdds Re: That dentist again - 09-10-2009 01:06 AM
This obviously is a travesty and these people should be ashamed of themselves.

Apparently you have done all you can to remove this incompetent person from contact with his patients.

I hope you can find it possible to put this behind you now and go forward knowing that at least your family here knows that this guy is a menace to society as well as a cheat and a liar.

Jerry
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: That dentist again - 09-12-2009 12:57 AM
A sad day in the dental world.
Keeping this guy in practice helps no one in my opinion.
As Jerry says I hope you can get past this and heal.
I'm here if you need me.
Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Cheers,
Mike
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum