Posted By: Cecilia A Huge thank you - 05-15-2009 12:55 PM
Hi all,
I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone.
I have had more help, support, comfort here than I have from any consultant or doctor. And Martin who is a computerphobe is very grateful too.
I feel like I have made some friends. I think we would have felt so lonely without this site. Most of you are across the ocean from us, but you feel so much closer.
We are not out of the woods yet and there is much improvement to be done, but we feel better, and not alone.
Thank you so much.
All the best to everyone.
Cecilia
PS: It sounds like a leaving email. I am not leaving I just thought I would say how much you have helped smile
Posted By: ChristineB Re: A Huge thank you - 05-20-2009 01:28 AM
Cecelia, thats what make this site so special. The caring and helpfulness of those who have gone thru this before. As a caregiver, its important to know you are not alone and have a place to come to for support. Wishing both you and Martin the best.
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: A Huge thank you - 05-21-2009 05:19 AM
It's the best thing in the world to be able to read accounts and talk to people who have experienced these things. I don't personally know anyone who's ever had a mask fitted over their face and then clamped to a table while being radiated, but they are all over this forum and that's great to know, just for one example.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: A Huge thank you - 05-21-2009 11:59 AM
The best thing about helping is being there when you're needed and that's what this site is all about....24/7 live real experienced help.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: A Huge thank you - 05-21-2009 12:57 PM
Just keep posting and participating. The experiences here do cover the waterfront. for example Every single person I know who has been radiated was fitted with a mask and bolted down to a table. I am on my second mask. this time I had them make a hole for the mouth in case I need suction for mucous
Posted By: William Dozier Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 02:10 AM
That feature of being clamped down to the table is quite unsettling to say the least. I will never forget that feeling once clamped down and then the tech leaving the room and closing that big vault like door.

Bill Dozier
Posted By: EzJim Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 02:37 AM
I was never clamped down and I believe it's mostly just the head is made immobile to keep it steady. It isn't bad at all. Maybe if the imagination leads the way, it could be. Just let them do their thing as they do these every day.
Posted By: EzJim Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 02:40 AM
I just noticed that where did you get that big vault like door?? Hell, most of the time they are right there close by in the same room. I think that for my next follow up, I am going to tell them about this LOL They will get a big chuckle.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 01:02 PM
[quote=EzJim] I was never clamped down and I believe it's mostly just the head is made immobile [/quote]

Maybe it is JUST the head but believe me if someone put a million dollars of cash at your feet and said "it's yours if you can get it" you would be totally cash poor.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 01:09 PM
Well at my CCC, it's not just the head. (Although as David points out, that's quite enough to immobilize you.) They also secure both of your wrists as well as your ankles. I did think it was overkill, and it did trigger my Catholic imagination with flashbacks to the Inquisition.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 01:15 PM
Man they strapped your arms and feet down!!! Now that would add the topping to what I have always referred to as our barbaric treatment.

My CCC, and BTW thanks for the memories, did make me put my feet up against a board that had ropes attached to the ends and I had to hold the rope tight with both arms to keep my body rigid and motionless.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 02:18 PM
Charm: Sounds like you went to a facility that had padded rooms not radiation machines! Sounds barbaric.

Cecelia: I had masks that immobilized the head and shoulders - no wrist or ankle straps. This was bad enough. I must say you do learn to appreciate things tho. There is absolutely NO sound on earth better than the sound of the mask being UNCLIPPED!!

Lots of people have a ritual at the end of radiation to say goodbye to the mask. My Rad Tecs suggested that I drive over it! I brought the first one home and it is probably here somewhere and the 2nd one I just left for them to deal with. Ask them to play music for you (I took my own) practice visualization, sing to yourself, do whatever it takes but you will get through it.

Jim: I'm not sure what type of treatment you had-but I was clamped down so tight I couldn't change my mind!

Take care.

Donna
Posted By: Cecilia Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 03:54 PM
Martin said he didn't mind the being clipped to the bed so much. But the loud buzz bothered him. The people on the other side of the vault used to talk to him through a microphone and reassuer him.
He does get the creeps when he is in an elevator with a female voice that tells you what the elevator is doing. Like "Doors closing, first floor". That's because of the elevator that takes you down to radiation. The lady sounded like Princess Diana, but now makes Martin hair stand on end. He prefers to take the stairs if the elevator voice is female.
Oh and a weird fact about the radiotherapy section in our hospital... it's haunted. Some porters refuse to go there, and some security guards refuse to work the nightshifts there. The ghost is a lady, and she opens doors with the sensors, and wooshes past the CCTV cameras.
Well that's the legend anyway. Martin has never seen her, and I am not sure I beleive all of that anyway.
Posted By: EzJim Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 04:14 PM
Damn, I must be the only one that was treated the right way. I mever even heard os vault doors unless it was someone they were afraid would run/. And as for being restrained any where but the head. To me this is ridiculous and no way to be treated.
Posted By: EzJim Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 04:15 PM
LOL That must be the Land of OZ .
Posted By: EzJim Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 04:20 PM
I am glad I live in the Ohio Valley where they use their heads to help you remain calm thru rads. May be it was because they knew I could take what ever they wanted to do.. bit as for that Vault door????? That is one I never heard of, Maye it was that ghost doing that.
Posted By: rubyann Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 06:30 PM
When I had rad. It wasn't that bad. It was in a big open roon, wher you went in there was no door, the wall was about 18 inchs down short hall then just turn and go in no kind of door. I believe it was the same way where they were, I never heard a door, I could see them behind slass sometimes. They would talk to me. took about 5 mins. unless they were doing xrays, then it took longer, but they were there about all the time. they would lay a ring on my belly and ask me to hold on th it, they put a wedge under my knees, It just wasn't that bad, close your eyes and think about what your goin to do later or think about someone you would like to slap, get some anger out or think about the good. They cheated me I didin't get the fun part, the ghost, heavy doors slaming, tired down now, I couldn't take,I don't think. We have a newly built cancer center here, that may be why things are different.
The best of luck to you and its not that bad.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: A Huge thank you - 05-22-2009 09:36 PM
[quote=Pandora99] I'm not sure what type of treatment you had-but I was clamped down so tight I couldn't change my mind!

[/quote]

Now that's funny.
Posted By: Cecilia Re: A Huge thank you - 05-23-2009 09:35 PM
By vault door, I mean big thick door with a lock. I suppose it was an idiot proof door so that no one like me could wander in to see how the other half was and get zapped in the process.
The radiologist where very nice though. They talked to Martin through a glass door and microphone. They had to cut the eyes out of the mask because the mask was puxhing too hard on his eyes and hurting them. They ended up cutting the mouth out as well. They also called you by your name and were so encouraging. The nurses were also lovely, showing me how to dress his neck and what to use to moisturise his neck.
The lady haunts the radiotherapy section and there is a man who haunts one of the wards. We never saw any of them, shame.
Martin's mask was green and very hard, moulded to his face with clips on the sides.
Posted By: SandySt. Re: A Huge thank you - 05-24-2009 12:06 AM
My radiation room has a vault door. It's massive! But it around a bend so I don't see it or hear it. They don't close it all the way.
Sandy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum