This evening I posted an article to the news section of the OCF site - "Diet, nutrition, and cancer � don�t trust any single study". The article provides useful information about how to interpret the numerous medical studies that are published indicating some relationship between diet and cancer.

There have been numerous studies, for example, about the benefits of fruits and vegetables in preventing cancer. But, it turns out that the benefits are most direct for colon and breast cancer and not specifically for other cancers.

The article also summarizes recent thinking about the impact of alcohol, obesity, and eating barbeque and other high-temperature cooked foods. It also makes the important point that the results of an animal study do not necessarily translate to the same results for humans.

For those of us always looking to get the best odds in our fight against cancer, this article is a worthwhile read. - Sheldon
Hi Shel,

Thanks for continuing to provide us with all the current articles related to cancer.

Interestingly, I have been involved in an ongoing study run by Dr. Willet since I was in dental school in the late 60's. I'm not sure if any of his opinions are based on this study, but it sure has been very comprehensive over the years. My input had been pretty boring (thankfully) until I had my cancer in 2005.

Hope you are doing well and still getting those good checkups.

Jerry
Everyone should read this article very carefully. It addresses some important scientific factors overlooked in much of the current health advice given by even respected medical authorities.
We probably wont hear much about it because the �single study� press releases get more attention and most people read only the title or conclusion and don�t consider the whole study critically.
the link is
http://oralcancernews.org/wp/2009/04/diet-nutrition-and-cancer-%e2%80%94-dont-trust-any-single-study/
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum