Posted By: davidcpa Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-07-2009 01:33 PM
or at least that's what one Study in Japan concluded. See below:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090106/hl_nm/us_coffee_cancers

I am drinking my Cafe con Leche as I write and I'm feeling pretty healthy.
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-07-2009 03:33 PM
Well--it didn't help me none...maybe I drank too much coffee...
Posted By: EzJim Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-07-2009 03:37 PM
I'm with you Ray. On my 7th or 8th cup as I type. It sure didn't help me > LOL
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-07-2009 03:54 PM
Wow FINALLY something good to be said about my caffine addiction lol...I was beginning to think life was all about health and not about good taste!!! That I was destined to give up everything that I had grown accustom to. Yippee and thank god for those scientists...I can drink it with a clear conscience...not that I really ever stopped drinking it...It also can help with asthma...but only black from what I have read but then again...

Thanks for the info my comfort drink is back and I drink it with less guilt than before...uh oh before I jump the gun it is probably decafinated coffee cause the caffine is still the bad stuff ....I guess back to the old drawing board lol.... Nah still gonna drink it...CHEERS
Posted By: Good1 Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-07-2009 09:22 PM
Well I used to drink at least 3 pots a day and usually more. It did not help me either. Maybe there is a limit on how many pots.

Patty
Posted By: Mark Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 02:13 AM
I could fix the mistake but it's kinda fun....

I too was not helped as I have been drinking coffee since my grandfather served me my first cup at about age 6. Now it's at least a pot per day.

I seem to recall an article suggesting that people whom drink very hot beverages have an increased rate of OC.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 02:21 AM
So I never drink coffee and for that matter, I never drink hot drinks at all.

I don't know what that proves, but I felt I had to add my 2 cents.

Jerry
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 02:57 AM
Sheldon is on top of this stuff. I actually sent him this Reuters rticle a couple days ago to put up. It's on the OCF news feed feed://feeds.feedburner.com/oralcancernews

http://oralcancernews.org/wp/2009/01/coffee-may-protect-against-oral-cancers/

With four people reading everything we can get out hands on from hundreds of sources, if it is interesting, important, or even a human interest story about OC - we a very likely to catch it, and put it on the feed. When it is from a science journal we will post the synopsis that cuts to the chase most of the time, but also give you the source if you are the kind that wants to digest every detail. Human interest stories etc. we post the whole story and its source.

Posted By: Stoj Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 03:07 AM
Had my teeth cleaned today, once again they talked to me about stains from coffee.

I like coffee, a lot, so it was cool to read this. I just had an Irish Cream Latte

tim
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 04:06 AM
I can't live without my iced Vente coffee with soy from Starbucks each morning.... With the hours that I keep, combined with sleep apnea that cannot be controlled, I am a zombie without it. Getting my teeth cleaned every 60 days, the prophy keeps the stains at bay, and now I can rationalize what I spend at that Seattle mother of all indulgences. When I am in town and not traveling for OCF, by the time I get to the counter of my regular, daily stop, caffeine dealer - to pay with my custom, registered, Starbucks card (unbelievable) the baristas already have it made and waiting for me at the register..... This is an addiction in the truest sense of the word.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 04:12 AM
What I find interesting about this study is Japan is a nation of smokers. I was there for six months or so back in 2000-2001 and I couldn't believe how many people smoked! I watched a dad feeding his infant once, baby spoon in one hand, cigarette in the other.
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 04:16 AM
One time I drank 52 ounzes of coffee and had the shakes really bad...I then craved something salty, I ate a few pickles and the shakes went away. I haven't had pot since...LOL
Posted By: Good1 Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 04:30 AM
One of the reasons that I gave up coffee was giving up the cigarettes. They just always went together for me, also a glass of wine goes with a cigarette. Since I quit smoking I also quit drinking and coffee.

Patty
Posted By: mhupe Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 05:03 AM
Ray, coffee and pickles...that doesn't sound like a good combo. I'm trying to find out what the verdict is on this coffee dialogue. I'd hate to give up my morning cup. I love the smell of it brewing as much as the taste. :-)
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 01:01 PM
Yeah Ray one would think well that sounds like a craving that an expectant mother would have...ever seen the movie Junior with Arnold Swarty and Danny Divito....hmmmm keep those cravings coming and we could see a little Ray running around just kidding folks, lol...it just struck me funny...sorry
Posted By: William Dozier Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 02:00 PM
The results of that study certainly did nothing for me. I have been an 8 to 10 cup drinker for years, summer, winter, you name it and it did not prevent my BOT variety! Oh well, there are always exceptions! Still live for my Eight O'Clock or Dunkin fix.

Bill D.
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 02:33 PM
I was very young and I didn't know what I was doing...LOL thanks for the visual...lol
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 02:40 PM
I seldom drank coffee pre cancer and now I drink maybe 1 cup a day only in the frigid months here in Gulfport.

So from this broad sample I can only concluded that drinking coffee doesn't make a bit of difference either way.

JM2C's

On to the next scientific project.
Posted By: debandbill Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 03:09 PM
Oh yeah David, I am sure it was frigid in Tampa last night....probably a deep freeze at 45 degrees eek

You must have needed two cups this morning.

Sorry to go off topic...I just have to give "David the weather wimp" a hard time about our Florida winter weather.

Deb
Posted By: Pete D Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 03:32 PM
David, one of the things I miss most about living in the Tampa area is the Cafe con Leche! I was down in the Keys about 2004 and there was a little hole-in-the-wall Cuban sandwich shop on US 1 that had CCL for only 35 cents per cup!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Coffee lowers risk for Oral Cancers - 01-08-2009 03:58 PM
No, tick breath it got down to a frigid 54 last night. I think my outdoor thermometer froze at that temp. Then on the news this morning I saw the 7 day forecast and next Wed they say the high will only get to 60 with a low in the 40's. I gotta move south. Global warming is a hoax!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum