Posted By: elem510 Dry mouth - 11-02-2005 02:28 PM
I have not been on the forum in quite some time. That is actually a good sign because my husband is now a three year survivor and doing very well. I am writing today with a question. I am an LPN and I work out reach with folks recovering from mental illness. My newest client is also a colon cancer survivor. She suffers from dry mouth and is not able to drink a lot of water due to other medical issues. I suggested sucking on a candy or chewing gum. Neither of these suggestions went over very well. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?
Thanks and good luck to all. Loretta on Cape Cod
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Dry mouth - 11-02-2005 03:23 PM
Loretta,

There are at least two prescription drugs that she might be able to try -- Salagen (oral pilocarpine) and Evoxac. Both of these are used to promote saliva production; in some people they can produce side effects, so it's important to watch for those. I've been on Salagen for 15 years continuously, and for me the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Also, the Biotene mouth products (nonprescription) have helped many people on this site. The line includes mouthwash, gel, toothpaste, spray and chewing gum. You can find them at many of the major chain drug stores and Wal-Mart.

Cathy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum