Posted By: darkeyedlady0 I WON!!!! - 09-26-2008 10:42 PM
I could hardly believe my ears today when my doctor looked at me and smiled and said NO RADIATION! You are clear...I hugged him and just cried...I did my little jig and had group hugs with everybody....

I would like to thank all who listened to me whine and carry on and for the support everyone has been so good now it is just the healing...Slow going have an infection got all stitches out today...

I am starting to get feeling back which is a good thing but it hurts alot...but I am going to get better next appointment is in six weeks...

Gosh this is such a good feeling and I am so relieved I really admire those who had a bigger fight with cancer because I know what it has taken to get this far... Anyway will post more later have been up since 7 am to go to dr appointment and then home and few errands am beat....talk to you all later...have a great day grin
Posted By: ChristineB Re: I WON!!!! - 09-27-2008 12:25 AM

Dianne:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Thats truly wonderful news. Im so happy for you. Hopy you heal quickly.
Posted By: Gabe Re: I WON!!!! - 09-27-2008 01:54 AM
Great news Dianne,
Like you I was also relieved to not need radiation even though at that stage I was not sure what it entailed.
After finding this site a year later I now realise how lucky I also was.
Good to hear you are healing well and are in a better frame of mind now that the worst is behind you....keep it up smirk
Gabriele
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: I WON!!!! - 09-27-2008 04:13 AM
Awesome!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: I WON!!!! - 09-27-2008 12:34 PM
Great news but I will tell you that you are missing out on something very special by not having the radiation. Wish you the best.
Posted By: suemarie Re: I WON!!!! - 09-27-2008 12:49 PM
Yea- radiation, it's sizzling
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: I WON!!!! - 09-27-2008 03:02 PM
you guys are a hoot!!! I don't know what to say but thanks....such great sense of humour and caring...Now that the healing process has begun I am sure I will still be needing help...but hopefuly my experience can help someone else through this ordeal...talk to you soon gonna go rest still tired and sore but every day is stronger...

next step to look forward to is getting my teeth back!!!

Dianne
Posted By: EzJim Re: I WON!!!! - 09-27-2008 11:51 PM
It's just like a burnt burger on the grill. Only no onion or mustard.
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: I WON!!!! - 09-27-2008 11:59 PM
but I love onion and mustard!!!
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: I WON!!!! - 09-28-2008 12:04 AM
I don't understand though my doctor kept asking me if I am sure I had quit smoking and I assured him I had and I have ...he was confused that the incision looking like I have had radiation but then he thought when I had quit just before surgery and that I am a diabetic...I really haven't smoked...that would hurt and be counter productive...I am keeping up with the one day at a time thing...still every day is one step away from...but anyway I am praying that my recovery keeps going...in a forward direction...
Posted By: EzJim Re: I WON!!!! - 09-28-2008 12:07 AM
My Dr used to ask me if I was smoking too. I had quit before any rads and chemo were begun. Maybe us exsmokers just arouse suspecion. I hate to be ask that when I am innocent. I'm sure you have quit too as most of us do.
Posted By: Malka Re: I WON!!!! - 09-28-2008 02:13 AM
Dianne,
Happy healing.
Malka
Posted By: Sharifah Re: I WON!!!! - 09-28-2008 03:28 AM
Dearest Diane:

I don't mean to discourage you. I was also in your shoes with an SCC on the tongue and base of the tongue. Had a total glossectomy (whole tongue removal), radical neck dissection, and tracheostomy. It was stage II. I was elated when informed by my oncologist that I did not need radiation and chemo. However, unfortunately I had a recurrence in July and had to undergo another major operation in August. I am not sure whether the recurrence was actually caused by not having the rt. But, this time my doctor insist that I go for rt. So, do be very careful and always be on the look out for any sign of recurrence.

Warmest regards,
Sharifah
Posted By: Lani G Re: I WON!!!! - 09-28-2008 04:26 AM
Diane,

As Sharifah said, please be very careful. Your Doc might be absolutely right, and I very sincerely hope he is, but if you read my intro post of a few days ago, the 21st, you'll see that you need to watch and act immediately if anything seems "off". I don't want to scare you or take the wind out of your sails, but I cringe every time I hear someone tell, or see someone write, what seems so close to the beginning of my story.

I'm almost 2 yrs post treatment of my recurrence and I'm doing well under the circumstances, but I now know that I absolutely should have received radiation after my first surgery. I know this not only because of the extremely fast and furious recurrence, but because my Docs at Shands were visibly surprised when I told them that my local ENT hadn't ordered it.

Again, I hope with all my heart that your Doc is right, but do be careful.

Lani
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: I WON!!!! - 09-28-2008 02:14 PM
Wow I don't know what to say we were all so elated about the news even before my surgery the doctor was almost certain I wouldn't have to have radiation. Well even if it does reoccur for now I am cancer free and will have to deal with things as they come...my mouth is so messed up right now wouldn't know normal from abnormal at this point...anyway I am just going for the here and now and right now I am cancer free...day by day...healing and gettting stronger...

Thanks
Dianne
Posted By: EzJim Re: I WON!!!! - 09-28-2008 08:07 PM
Ask the Dr many questions , I was given the all clear the day of my surgery but ended up with either a reoccurence or the OC was never gone. Not trying to scare you, but it happens that mistakes are made.
Posted By: wallyswife Re: I WON!!!! - 09-28-2008 09:04 PM
Congratulations Dianne. Try to keep going forward with a continual watchful eye. If you can avoid radiation that is all the better quality of life you can have. I and many others know that you can go through the full gamut of treatment and all the hardship that entails and still lose the battle. So, seize the moment!
Posted By: wilckdds Re: I WON!!!! - 09-29-2008 02:29 AM
Congratulations Dianne, from another no radiation survivor.

Jerry
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: I WON!!!! - 09-29-2008 03:38 PM
I am going to definately keep an eye out but everything is still so swollen it is hard to tell kinda what is what but I stuck my tongue out for the first time the other day it still does what it wants but there is more control. every day nurses are asking me and looking and watching...I go back to doctor in 6 weeks he wants to make sure too....He is a very caring doctor and I also understand that mistakes can be made at this point I am celebrating one day at a time!!! New outlook enjoy today cause well tomorrow is not for us to know!!!

Posted By: Gabe Re: I WON!!!! - 09-29-2008 11:29 PM
Good to see that you are being looked after by great nurses and a caring Doctor. I am now a 2 year no radiation survivor myself.
Had a 2 year follow up last Friday 26th and will be posting more about that on a thread where others advised what checks I should be getting. Still trying to gather my thoughts on this unsatisfactory visit to the cancer clinic.
http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=80231&page=3
Gabriele
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: I WON!!!! - 09-30-2008 03:16 PM
Thanks I didn't even know about guidelines post surgery. I have six weeks to come up with some questions...so far so good but am fining as I heal the feeling is starting to return to some of my nerves and the pain is increasing it was just all just numb before...I wake up and am all swollen still and sometimes it seems like my bottom lip has dissappeared but otherwise seem fine...just biding my time and still one day at a time...
Posted By: sobradley Re: I WON!!!! - 09-30-2008 08:15 PM
The healing part was the most annoying part for me! I remember as I was getting feeling back in my neck I would get these random twitches in my neck and they would make my whole head move - I'm sure they were quite entertaining for everyone around me! I wasn't sure if I liked the idea of feeling coming back because of it! I was happy when they stopped! Hope you are doing well!
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: I WON!!!! - 10-01-2008 03:17 PM
I agree the healing is definatly got my attention...but I just don't feel all that bad and then the twinges and the reconnection to feelings nerves coming alive again...it really hurts...phsyio wow....and well I am starting to feel a bit closterphobic want to get out and do but tend to do too much and pay for it...i am still looking for that happy medium. I really want to go back to the sausage cart but it is getting late in the season and well I know not quite strong enough for that and my family would make sure I don't...It is also hard first thing in the morning when i am the most swollen it is like the bottom lip disappears...need a bib to drink a coffee ...lol...anyway how is your eating going ...still a hungry bear do you have any answers?

Take dare folks time to rest for a bit again
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum