Posted By: Babsdaughter NY doctors up on oral cancer - 08-22-2008 07:14 PM
Hello All,

I am searching for an additional opinion on my mom's case. I am wondering if anyone here knows of an oncologist in the New York city area that is considered an expert on oral cancer.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Les
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: NY doctors up on oral cancer - 08-22-2008 07:24 PM
You haven't said in any of your posts where she is being seen. There are many good institutions in NY, and the top of the list is Memorial Sloan Kettering. Rather than seeking an individual doctor I would be looking for a multidisciplinary center that does it all, where her treatment plan and carry out would be done by a group of doctors that come from different backgrounds and disciplines.
Posted By: NewYorker10 Re: NY doctors up on oral cancer - 08-22-2008 07:40 PM
Memorial Sloan Kettering (generalli considered to be the best Cancer hospital in NYC) has a referral service that you can contact to get an appointment with the expert: 646-497-9161

I also heard this dr. is good:
http://www.nyee.edu/ent_faculty_schantz.html

There are a few doctors specializing in head and neck cancer at NY Presbyterian.

http://app1.nyp.org/fad/searchDoctor.htm

Search for Head and Neck Cancers

Posted By: Babsdaughter Re: NY doctors up on oral cancer - 08-22-2008 10:11 PM
She currently is seen at St. Vincent's Cancer Center.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Posted By: NewYorker10 Re: NY doctors up on oral cancer - 08-28-2008 06:01 PM
[quote=Babsdaughter]She currently is seen at St. Vincent's Cancer Center.

Thanks for the responses so far. [/quote]

I think that getting a 2nd opinion is a must - if you can do it. This is a very difficult desease. You need a very good and careful doctor to maximize your mom's chance of full and successful recovery and treatment.
Posted By: suemarie Re: NY doctors up on oral cancer - 08-28-2008 08:21 PM
My husband is seeing Dr. Matthew Fury at Sloan. He specializes in Head and Neck Cancer. Dr. Mark Pfister also treats that kind of cancer. You can go on Sloan's website for more info on them. That's how we found Dr. Fury and he is wonderful so far. I also found out about the trial that my husband is currently on by searching the site for ongoing trials.

Sue
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum