I have been a lurker for quite some time and would appreciate this board's excellent response rate to address a question of mine. I want to plan for round the clock care for my mother but don't know what to plan for.

My mother is one induction therapy chemo treatment down with daily radiation treatment to follow in a few weeks. She needs regular monitoring of Coumadin (blood thinner) for her blood sugar (non-insulin dependent diabetic). She is on heavy doses of medication for the pain of her tumor and driving has been very limited. Due to the picc and the peg, she can't easily do things like showering and cooking; she seems to be unable to flush either of them out.

I worry about the approaching daily treatment and its effects on an already challenging care situation. My mother lives alone and almost an hour from the hospital. Family has been staying with her during treatment and she spends some time alone when she feels well enough. As we begin daily treatment, I wonder how we could ease the situation by moving her to a temporary place closer to the hospital.

What have been your experiences with short-term housing; what have been the benefits and the downsides?

During the toughest part of the treatment, is an hour to and from the hospital too much for the patient? Will she benefit from being closer to the hospital?

Thank you in advance.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Housing options / need for alternate housing - 08-14-2008 08:00 PM
Now thT IS tough question to answer. I would say it depends on your Mother and how much she can tolerate. I live by myself and have gone thru this whole process alone , cooked, washed clothes, drove to Dr appts. and at times I wish I had someone to help, but I made it and got better and stronger daily.What does your Mother say about her condition? I feel sorry for this decision that has to be made or rather for you for having to make it. I was stationed in DC at Bolling AFB years ago in the Honor Guard and Drill Team. My son was at the Naval Base right next to Bolling in the Navy Honor Guard. Good Luck with your Mother and what you do.
Depending upon where she will be treated, they may have on site living quarters available just for these circumstances. Moffitt had an entire "hotel" within walking distance that was available for free if the patient otherwised qualified.
I see that you are in VA...me too. My father was treated at VCU Medical Center in Richmond and they have a hospitality house. We did at one point consider it, especially when they were discussing radiation twice a day. He never used it though, but it seems quite nice. If you live so many miles away from the hospital you can stay there. I'm not sure where your mom is being treated in VA, but it certainly would be something you could look into. I think most big facilities have something like it close by.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum