Posted By: JeffL Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 02:11 AM
Well, it was July 11, 2007 when I got off the table in the Radiation Room, politely rejected the offer to take my mask with me, and began the journey of After Treatment. I had my latest follow up with ENT/Surgical Oncologist today, and still all clear, so I can "officially" celebrate 1 year cancer free.

Interesting that there was more than usual anxiety leading up to this appointment. Part of it was the subtle increase in neck stiffness and tenderness, as some of the side effects of the radiation and neck dissection have taken hold. While I was pretty sure that these were side effects, the gremlin of doubt in my mind still stoked the fear that it had returned. Probably will always have that anxiety around appointment times, so might as well get used to it.

Hopefully I am able to contribute something of value to this site, as you have all helped me immeasurably during the past 16 months, since my diagnosis. Anything I can do to give back to the community, you all need only ask!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 12:34 PM
Congrats Jeff. I took my mask with me though as we had developed quite a bonding relationship during treatment.
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 12:47 PM
Congratulations Jeff. I like you didn't take my mask either. If I had, it would have gone as far as the back parking lot and the dumpster <<grin>>.

You're really on your way now!!

Kevin
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 01:49 PM
Way to go. Thank you for posting good news and providing Hope to the rest of us.
PS. I not only kept my mask but have made a plaster/stained glass insert of bright red to put into a sculpture I am working on with some of the CT scans.

Tom
Posted By: Nelie Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 02:26 PM
I took my mask too. It's collecting dust on a shelf in our basement. I have considered bringing it into work and hanging it on my office wall to scare students.....

Or maybe decorating it somehow and mkaing it a piece of modern art!

Anyway, congratulations, Jeff!
Posted By: William1949 Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 04:01 PM
Great news. Mine is in the garage but I had to put a towel over it as it scared people and pets. I hope to share the same results down the road.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 07:06 PM
Congrats Jeff old buddy and I hope you have another 50 yrs of being free. I have my mask in the back room of my =basement in a plastic bag. Might be good for Halloween. LOL
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 08:10 PM

Jeff:

Congrats on your 1 yr milestone. Hope you have many many more. I did take my mask home too, its in a bag in my closet.

Christine
Posted By: billy.calcutt Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-15-2008 10:09 PM
Congrats my friend. Heres too many, many more anniversaries Jeff.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-16-2008 03:07 AM
Jeff,

Congratulations and you have already contributed a great deal to this forum and I hope to see you contributing for many more years to come.

Jerry
Posted By: Suess57 Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-16-2008 03:22 AM
Hey Jeff,

That's great news. The anxiety thing is something I relate to but it gets a little better each time. I know what it is...but what if it's not? LOL. Anyway, congrats!!!
Posted By: Cookey Re: Officially 1 Year Cancer Free - 07-16-2008 04:58 AM
all the very best to you and your family Jeff

well done

love liz
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum