Posted By: EzJim Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-25-2008 07:18 PM
My tongue felt a little different this morning so I did the usual and went into the bathroom to have a look. It is either a very dark grey or black and right in the center of it is a lump. The lump isn't hard mbut you sure can see it. Looks like a volcano. LOL I called the Drs office and will go in Friday at 9AM. He isn't available tomorrow as he won't be in Town. Anyone else ever have this??? I know it's a 1st for me.
Posted By: August Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-25-2008 08:01 PM
Gosh, Jim, You sure do have the weirdest things! I have no idea what that could be. As always, none of us will really know, but some thoughts occur to me...Is your tongue sore? swollen? It sounds like maybe a blood vessel burst inside your tongue somehow. Have you ever burst a vessel in a finger and had it turn dark and swell? I don't know about the bump, unless that could be the site of the ruptured vessel.....

I'm just clutching at possibilities here. I imagine that you were stunned to find this first thing in the morning!! Please keep us posted! I wish you could see someone sooner, but if things are stable right now, I guess it's ok to wait. If your tongue swells or gets really sore or darker, I sure would find another doctor to go to....maybe your doctor's partner.

XOXO--Colleen
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-25-2008 08:35 PM
Jim:

Do a search on it. I know I have read something about it on here before.

Christine
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-25-2008 08:40 PM
Try this link:

www.oralcancerfoundation.org/news/story.asp?newsId=305

Christine
Posted By: helen.c Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-25-2008 08:59 PM
Jim
are you on antibiotics?
If so it will go soon. But I agree it looks pretty YUK..
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-25-2008 10:41 PM
Christine, I did go to the site you posted. There is an article about black hairy tongue. LOL I hope I don't have to shave it. J/K I did try to brush my tongue with noresults earlier today. I see where the stats for 5 yrs are still at 50%. I'm glad we are all in the surivor 50% and will beat this stuff. Thanks for the posts all. Jim
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-25-2008 10:41 PM
Not on antibiotics at the time Helen. Meant to post that with the other one.
Posted By: Nelie Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-26-2008 01:27 AM
Jimk, yeah that sounds like balck hairy tongue and yeah, I've had it (of course. I get all the fun stuff) . It was when I was a few months out from radiation, as you are, and I can't recall if it was treated with antibiotics or what but it did eventualy go away. It's gross looking isn't it?

Nelie
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-26-2008 01:31 AM
Yep Nelie, it is very nasty looking. LOL The thing on my tongue is getting bigger too. I just checked it. Maybe my mouth is too big and the Lord is filling up the space. LOL J/K
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-27-2008 04:41 PM
Saw Dr this morning and he thinks the black tongue is a fungus . He gave ma a script and made an appointment for me to get a CTscan of my neck and shoulder area to see why I hurt so bad in this area. I get the Ct Tuseday afternoon.
Posted By: Markus Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-27-2008 04:55 PM
Jim, stop licking tar!
it just is not good for you

... I am sure you are happy to know that you have an infection.!!!

M
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-27-2008 08:05 PM
Very Happy LOL ,, sure beats the alternative.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-27-2008 08:45 PM
Man you have had more than your share of crap with this cancer!!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-28-2008 12:46 AM
I stopped at save a lot on my way home from Drs. Bought a gallon container of vanilla ice cream and some fresh strawberrys. I have a Hamilton Beach milk shake mixer so I went for the gold. Dr told me to drink a lot of shakes so I will make him happy. I lost 10 lbs and he got on me like a fly on BS. Stop by and I'll make you shakes. I bought every flavor I could find including milky way. Have peanut butter too.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-28-2008 12:50 AM
David, I agree with you about this OC and me. LOL was thinking maybe the lord is getting back at me for being a womanizer all these years . I hope if he is, he gives me a break soon. Thanks for caring all of you.
Posted By: Suess57 Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-28-2008 12:59 AM
Yeah Jim!! After all the challenges you've had, a little fungus should be easily whipped.
Posted By: sharlee Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 06-30-2008 12:09 AM
Jim ..

SO glad to see that your spirits are STILL UP during ALL OF THIS !! But I guess as they say that is the way to make it through huh !
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 07-02-2008 12:37 AM
I was hoping the fungus would start to leave completely by now. This afternoon it was almost a normal color, but this evening it's back to black. LOL about time for a little dye job maybe.
Posted By: Markus Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 07-02-2008 03:26 AM
Hope this gets under control soon, you need some relief from all that crap!

M

Posted By: Malka Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 07-02-2008 10:07 AM
Jim,
Are you at an OC buffet?? It seems that you are sampling one of every misery this brings. You need to stop having these experiences and stay well.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 07-02-2008 12:59 PM
Heck he's even going back into the kitchen and digging up more items that aren't even on the buffet !!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Black Tongue!!!!! - 07-02-2008 07:58 PM
I sometimes wonder the same thing Malka. But as long as I can keep one step ahead, I'll be fine. LOL I'm just glad I can stand pain without it bothering me much.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum