Posted By: JeffL Back Online -- General Update - 06-15-2008 05:53 PM
Just got back from a week long Alaska cruise with wife, son, his girlfriend, in laws, brother & sister -in -law, wife's aunt & uncle, and 2 family friends. A relatively modest group of 12 this time around.

My wife and her brother conspired to make this a "Heroes Cruise -- 2008" -- honoring the four of us who are cancer survivors (me, my mother-in-law (lymphoma), wife's uncle (colon), and 1 of the famly friends (prostate). Had T-Shirts saying Heroes Cruise 2008 on the front and "Do you know a Hero?" on the back. The local CCC has a big "Heroes" celebration for survivors every year, hence the inspiration. The cruise ship also had a 5K Walk for the Cure for Breast Cancer, which we all did (as we did in January)

A good time was had by all, and we got to raise some money and awareness for cancer, including Head & Neck cancer, as we were continually asked about our matching shirts.

Things continue to go well for me. Still battle the dry mouth, and the collateral shoulder & neck nerve damage/fibrosis pretty significant. One of the women on the cruise is a physical therapist, and she ran me through some tests showing pretty significant loss of motion and weakness in my trapezius and related areas. Starting an exercise regimen, so we will see how that works.

Alaska is gorgeous, as always, but have to admit it is good to be back in the warm weather. I did find a great Tilley's hat in Skagway that gives me the necessary sun protection, and actually fits me! (I wear size 8 -- big head, but nothing in it . . . )

Good to be back!
Posted By: Cookey Re: Back Online -- General Update - 06-15-2008 07:43 PM
Hi Jeff and welcome home.Glad you had such a great time.I got my OCF teeshirt last week and will wear it with pride.

love liz
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Back Online -- General Update - 06-16-2008 10:57 AM
Welcome back Jeff,

Sounds like a great vacation. You accomplished so much besides R & R. Raising awareness, raised money, picked up some hints on therapy and got a Tilley hat. What more could you ask for? I'll bet you ate a lot, too.

Jerry
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum