Posted By: Anonymous First Post-treament check-up - 08-28-2002 10:09 PM
Hi-

I would like to hear when most of you were scheduled for your post-treatment check-up.

My mother's rad onc wants to wait a month for CT and check-up. This seems a bit long to me. On the other hand, her pulmonoloigst (she has a suspected primary lung cancer also) will be seeing her the last day of treatments with a CT and discussion of what we should do next. That's what I like to hear.

Anyway, just curious as to when others had their first follow-up. And, yes I am aware that even though the delivery of radiation is complete, there is residual radiation that continues working. But I find it hard to believe that this residual makes that much difference in determining the success of the treatments.

Thanks.

Cynthia
Posted By: molly Re: First Post-treament check-up - 08-28-2002 10:41 PM
Hi,
My sister had a 2 month wait(to heal from the radiation) cancer of tonsils. She just had the check-up, xrays last week and so far so good. She is cancer free. It seemed like a very long wait to me also, but her oncologist said that the area that was radiated is like mush and needs to heal before making an accurate diagnosis.
Posted By: Donna Re: First Post-treament check-up - 08-29-2002 02:56 AM
Cynthia......My first check up was exactly one month after I finished RAD, and I believe that appointment was with my Radiology Onoclogist and shortly thereafter I saw my ENT. After that, I was scheduled for a quarterly CT scan, a visit to both my ENT and Onocologist along with quarterly blood work done. After five long years they just gave me the OK for a chest xray every six months and at that time blood work drawn and a visit with my onocologist. However, I still see my ENT on a quarterly basis. Hope that helps. Glad to hear your Mom is doing OK! I look forward to reading your posts just to see how she is coming along. Sincerely, Donna
Posted By: Anonymous Re: First Post-treament check-up - 08-29-2002 06:53 AM
Thanks ladies. I wanted to make sure that my mother's oncologist wasn't being lax.

Congrats Donna on your 5 years! Glad to hear you are doing so well!

Cynthia
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum