Posted By: helen.c finally a date - 08-07-2004 04:39 PM
Hi all
Finally they had given me a date of the 11 of August and they have promised not to move it again (case of third time lucky) They are talking a stay of 10 to 14 days in hospital, (partial glossectomy and removal of some tonsil area, taking a flap from my forearm) so say a few prayers for me Tuesday Night not sure of the time difference... Thanks for all the help and encouragement from you all over the last few months... I couldn't have done it by myself..
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: nancyt Re: finally a date - 08-07-2004 06:30 PM
Hi Helen,

Glad to hear that you have a firm date although I don't wish you having to go through surgery (hope that sounded right?). I had a total glossectomy, right / left neck dissection and muscle flap taken from my abdomen. I spent 14 fun-filled days at Mt. Sinai as my hospital "hotel" of choice (yeah, right!). I know that with your spirit and strength that you've provided everyone here that you'll do just fine. I'll keep you in my prayers as always and will be thinking about you on the 11th. Please keep us posted on how you're making out. I guess the message board will be a little quieter while you're recovering and I'll miss reading your posts.

Sunshine, love and hugs back at ya!

Nancy
Posted By: Sabrina Re: finally a date - 08-07-2004 07:19 PM
Helen -

Bring EAR PLUGS and shower slippers!

The roommate ALWAYS snores.

As for the slippers, I forgot my first time and wore those non-skid socks they give you into the shower. No way I was going in with bare feet!!!

Good luck - we're praying for you!!!

Sabrina
Posted By: JetAgeHobo Re: finally a date - 08-07-2004 07:26 PM
Hi Helen

Also glad to hear you're finally getting the date to get this done. Not sure why the long wait, a UK thing? The thing that will be tough is forcing yourself to keep the mouth moving after surgery. Doc's amost forced me to eat semi solid foods such as yougurt, jello, soup and such the day after partial glossectomy.

I'm sure you will do ok, will be thinking about you and hoping you do well. Let us know how things go as soon as possible.

Bob
Posted By: Christine Re: finally a date - 08-07-2004 07:53 PM
Dear Helen,

I'll be pulling for you here in Virginia!

You've been a great help to me for the last several months. Now, lets see if I can put my bossy head on and tell you (with my finger wagging) that you better darn well take some of your own advice and keep yourself out of any sort of bad frame of mind. Sure, it's crappy to have to go through this surgery...wish you didn't have to!!! But you'll get rid of some bad cells and maybe some bad juju in the process. I have no doubt that you'll keep those doctors and nurses on their toes with your wicked sense of humor and lovely streak of orneriness. You're in my thoughts and prayers, girl!

Love,
Christine
Posted By: Cathy G Re: finally a date - 08-07-2004 09:20 PM
Helen,

I'll be thinking of you and hoping for a quick recovery. Certainly the surgery is nothing to look forward to, but we all want the results to be the best for you.

Bob -- your post reminded me of the first "meal" that showed up after I got to my room after surgery. Apparently the kitchen didn't have a clue about why I was there and they sent an overdone, hospital-quality steak. I just stared helplessly at the nurse, pointed to all the stitches in my mouth and neck, and waited for her to bring back some broth.

Cathy
Posted By: Judy U Re: finally a date - 08-07-2004 10:53 PM
Well, FINALLY! Sunshine to you, Helen along with love and best wishes.......
Judy U
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 11:59 AM
Helen, Will pray for you even more on the 11th and 12.
Posted By: Miss Vicki Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 11:59 AM
Hello Helen, I will also be thinking of you and praying for the very very best. I just had this done in Feb of this year. I was in the hospital for 17 days then rehab for another 3 weeks. I will pray for you my dear. Always, Vicki Lynn
Posted By: helen.c Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 02:21 PM
Thanks everyone for all your best wishes..
Have packed LOUD cd's, rubber flip flops, a laptop and HID the red wine at the bottom of my bag...
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 02:53 PM
Good Luck Helen!!!

You have been such a valuable member of the Oral Cancer Foundation. You will most likely have some bumps in the road ahead of you. Nothing you can't jump right over. I'll be praying for you Helen.

Your Friend, Danny Boy
Posted By: nancyt Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 03:58 PM
Helen,

Somehow I KNEW that red wine was going to be making the trip to the hospital with you! Keep your spirits up!

Nancy
Posted By: Christine Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 07:16 PM
Nice pun, Nancy!!

Christine laugh
Posted By: aussieh Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 08:27 PM
Wishing YOU sunshine, Helen

I'll be thinking of you here and looking forward to your posts when you are back home and strong enough to join in again.

With love from Helen in Oz cool
Posted By: DavidD Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 10:32 PM
Good Luck Helen!!!
My thoughts will be with you and hope you have a quick recovery.

David
Posted By: minniea Re: finally a date - 08-08-2004 10:37 PM
Hi Helen,
While my family is singing Happy Birthday to me I will be thinking of you. I'm confident you will breeze through this.
Minnie
Posted By: Uptown Re: finally a date - 08-09-2004 02:29 PM
Helen,

I will certainly be praying for you and His intervention in guiding your medical treatment to give you every opportunity for the speediest recovery. I am so glad you will be hiding the red wine because I thought I would have to sneak over the pond to bring some to you!

Ed
Posted By: Carol L Re: finally a date - 08-09-2004 02:39 PM
Hi Helen, I will be thinking of you and praying for you....Love, Carol
Posted By: Mark Re: finally a date - 08-09-2004 10:46 PM
Helen, I will do everything I am able to do to see you through this procedure and to healing and good health after the doctors are done.

Take care and tell your husband he will have to keep us informed! (I know that won't be easy but he'll find a way) wink
Posted By: bobb131 Re: finally a date - 08-10-2004 11:14 AM
Helen,

I will be thinking about you and praying for you. I'm sending you sunshine, love and hugs!

Barb
Posted By: Kris Re: finally a date - 08-10-2004 11:41 AM
Helen-
The time is nearer and there are many more prayers headed your way! Since you posted you are taking your laptop we hope to hear from soon! May his healing love radiate through you and kill the beast! - love and hugs, Kris
Posted By: DanielleO Re: finally a date - 08-10-2004 05:05 PM
Helen,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband. We will be waiting to hear from you.

Love,
Dani
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: finally a date - 08-10-2004 09:37 PM
Helen you probably won't read this before your surgery tomorrow. I wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow.
I hope all goes well and you recover completely.

Best Wishes, Danny Boy
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: finally a date - 08-10-2004 11:30 PM
Ditto, Helen... My prayers will be with you as well... You've got such a great attitude. You're going to battle through this well...

Much Sunshine to You!!

Eric
Posted By: Christine Re: finally a date - 08-10-2004 11:38 PM
Go, Helen! We love you!!!

I raise my wine glass to you tonight that all shall be well for you tomorrow.

love,
Christine
Posted By: Eileen Re: finally a date - 08-11-2004 06:09 PM
Helen,
As I drank my bottle of Margaux 2000 on my anniversary on Sunday, I was reminded of you and your forthcoming surgery and wondered if you had gotten a date. Glad it is finally happening. Just knew you would smuggle the wine in. 17 days is a long time. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us posted if you can.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: minniea Re: finally a date - 08-12-2004 12:44 AM
Hey Helen, I hope the surgery went well and that you are reading this soon. We are all thinking of you.
Love,
Minnie
Posted By: Carol L Re: finally a date - 08-12-2004 06:53 PM
Hi Helen, Praying your surgery went well and I hope you will be back on here soon! God Bless, Love, Carol
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum