Posted By: AzTarHeel MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 06:00 PM
Just curious if anyone could tell me about MD Anderson in Houston. My radiation oncologist recommended them if we wanted a second opinion on what to do with me next. My ENT called it "The Big House".

I guess at this point I'm curious what they could do for me that I couldn't already get here in Arizona. I've already had the neck dissection last week...

It was disheartening to read on MD Anderson's Web site that the prognosis for tongue cancer without node involvement was "excellent" but when there is node involvement prognosis "deteriorates" -- that hit me pretty hard today... I always felt like I was among the excellent ones, but alas... frown
Posted By: Julie Re: MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 06:53 PM
My husband was treated at MD Anderson, four years ago this month. I would highly recommend it to anyone dealing with cancer. Each case is brought before the tumor board, so you get more than one opinion on the best possible treatment for your particular situation. They were very encouraging throughout our treatment concerning my husband's prognosis. We go back there once a year now for check ups.
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 07:59 PM
Hold your head up high Eric, It's natural to get down now and than. I was always told the numbers mean nothing to me. I will either survive or not. You have had an excellant attitude and your postings reflect your strength. Keep the faith!!!

I have heard nothing but good things about MD Anderson.

Best wishes, Dan
Posted By: JetAgeHobo Re: MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 08:05 PM
Eric,

M.D. Anderson is one of the top cancer centers in the country, if not listed at the top. Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York is usually about number 2.

Don't let the "numbers" get you down. Every person is different, responds differently to treatment. Just have them follow up with rad and chemo and go from there.

Stat's teacher in high school once told us "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics" Then pointed out a study that said every time teachers got pay raises, alcohol consumption rose. Study concluded that teachers were high users of alcohol..

Turns out teachers only get raises when the economy is good, and when the economy is good the rest of the population has money to spend on booze.

Lesson is, MD Anderson, American Cancer Society, can spout statistics, but at the end of the day, individual's body, mind and spirit play a bigger part.

Hoping for the best for you.
Bob
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 08:21 PM
I am an MDACC "Graduate" with node involvement bilaterally when diagnosed. That means a poorer prognosis as you have found out, but that was almost 6 years ago for me. It is consistently rated as the number one cancer facility in the WORLD, occasionally swapping that distinction with Memorial Sloan Kettering in NY. They see over 250,000 cancer patient visits a year, have a staff of over 40,000 people, and it covers acres of land. It is like going to NASA. When you walk down the hallways, there are people speaking every language you can image, from Farsi and Chinese, to the gamut of European languages...people arrive there each day from all over the world to be treated for good reason. They have the statistical sucess rates that merit their number one spot, they have access to the majority of clinical trial drugs that you wouldn't find at a smaller institution if thigs are not looking good, and as cancer patients always have some sort of complications in treatment, they have seen it all before..thousands of times. When something dosen't go according to plan, they have people there that have seen that complication a hundred times if not a thousand times before. This is important, as a change in plans, treatment etc. dictated by a complication is handled right then and there, not reffered out for consultation to another facility or doctor, wasting valuable time. They have the latest equipment, the finest doctors, and if you go there it will be like nothing you have ever experienced in AZ. My tumor board had over 30 doctors of different disciplines in it, all involved in my treatment plan. When my local docs said I was a late stage cancer patient with poor prognosis, I wanted to be where the best in the world were, not where it was the most geographically convenient to be. I honestly believe that if had not been treated at MDACC I would not be here today. You have one shot at things to make the best choices possible, as cancer can be very unforgiving of half measures, or incomplete treatment plans. The only choice you really get to make in it all when the dust settles on things is choosing the doctors that you believe have the right stuff to save your life. After that
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 08:50 PM
Thanks for the reponses, everyone... I only wish now I had contacted MD Anderson from the very start...

And the thanks for the "kick in the pants" on my attitude... usually I'm pretty upbeat... For some reason, that got my goat... I'm also a little sore at a friend of mine over some comments he made "about knowing too much" about what happens to cancer patients in my shoes (i.e. implying he knows the "poor" odds)... arggg... don't bring the negative attitudes around me, as I already have enough trouble overcoming my own doubts and fears... should I sick all of you on him? haha
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 08:54 PM
One more thing, since MD Anderson is so much like NASA, maybe I should visit NASA as well while I'm in Houston... and an Astros game!! Sorry I digress...
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 11:36 PM
I did go to NASA in the first couple of weeks before I really had the wind taken out of my sails by radiation treatments, it was really interesting. When the tour guide found that I was a pilot and a cancer patient in town, a person came down and met Ingrid and I and took us on a behind the scenes tour. Great people in spite of all the flack they have gotten. We sometimes forget that they put us on the moon decades ago, and have been grossly under-funded by every administration since. There was a lot more to like about Houston, but after week 2.5, I spent all my time holed up in a tiny apartment next to MDACC sleeping all day between treatments. Ingrid rented every video know to man during that period of time while she waited it all out with me. Blockbuster made a fortune off of her...she would watch about 15-20 a week, read a ton of novels, (thank you Amazon) and catered to my every whining whim.... something I will never be able to repay her for.
Posted By: Lynn Re: MD Anderson - 06-10-2004 11:52 PM
I was treated at MDACC as well. The head and neck center is very good, but understaffed. Be prepared to wait. They do a great job and treating so many patients in such a thorough manner. You'll notice the waiting rooms don't have many magazines, but racks of books. My dad pointed this out to me and said "This isn't a good sign" ha ha! I have to say that after you get into their system that they treat you very well. I have opted to stay in Dallas for any further treatment and my doctor said you can be rest assured you have received the "gold standard" as far as treatment goes. That was a comfort and eased my mind about my decision to go to MDACC. I was 10 weeks away from my little girls and that was extremely hard. My best to you. All the ENTs there are excellent, don't worry about who you get.

Let me know what you decide and how everything goes.

Lynn
Posted By: Uptown Re: MD Anderson - 06-11-2004 02:46 AM
My lifelong best friend called me one day to tell me he had cancer...in both kidneys. He was scheduled to have both removed and knowing he lived in Houston, I strongly urged him to go to MD Anderson for a second opinion. He canceled the surgery the next day and went to MDACC. They took out one and part of the other. He avoided a life of dialyis and complications. That was 3 1/2 years ago.

Eric, MDACC has another way cool policy of telephone consultation second opinions with your doctor and you can be part of the teleconference. I used them before I started treatment and explained to them I was scheduled to get a PEG, mediport and some teeth extracted in 3 days and they still worked their magic.

Ed
Posted By: digtexas Re: MD Anderson - 06-12-2004 02:08 PM
Eric,
I live in Houston and was treated at MDACC. My cousin, a well respected radiologist in town recommened that I go for treatment to Methodist Hospital, which is private, where I would get more personal treatment. I opted for MDACC. It does sometimes feel like a cattle call, but, as Brian said, they know what they are doing.

By the way, if you come to Houston, I will personally get a couple of Astros tickets and take you to the game. Even better if the Diamondbacks are in town ( unless that darn Randy Johnson is pitching!).

Danny G.
Posted By: rosie Re: MD Anderson - 06-12-2004 10:22 PM
Eric,

Definitely go to MDACC. You can't afford to take half-measures when fighting this disease. I wish we hadn't been so concerned with time, money and distance when Heather was first diagnosed. Unfortunately, I didn't find OCF until after she had her surgery, so we didn't really know any better. She did have an excellent surgeon, but it turned out that just wasn't enough.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie
Posted By: Brett Re: MD Anderson - 06-14-2004 05:06 PM
Eric,

I guess I'm a little late in chimming in, but I'm also a M. D. Anderson "graduate." I decided to get my treatment there because my research consistently showed them to be top cancer center in the country. Given that they were here in Texas, I mainly wanted to take the best shot I could at defeating the disease. I didn't want to get my treatment in Austin and then find myself in the future saying I should have gone to M. D. Anderson. If you take your best shot, then no matter what happens you took your best shot.

They treat me very well. Yes, they are busy, but the best treatment available is worth the wait. You can't go wrong getting treated at MD.

-Brett
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: MD Anderson - 06-25-2004 01:58 PM
After much wrangling and many phone calls, we're all set to go to MD Anderson next week. We fly out from Phoenix on Monday and have appointments on Tuesday.

The tough part is that the radiation oncologist that came recommended to us is on sabatical and not taking any new patients. So we're going to someone unknown to my Phoenix oncologist.

I feel good about this decision as I want to get the best minds on my case. My beef with MD Anderson, though: they may be good at treating head and neck cancer but they are pretty lousy in public/customer relations. I don't how many phone calls we had to make just to get through to humans instead of voice mails. People were always "gone for the rest of the day" or "out of town this week." Or we got: "there is only one person who can answer that question and she's not available right now, but she'll call you back later..." Etc.

I guess that's the trade-off when you go to someplace large and well-known. It's just tough because my ENT for example bent over backwards for us. He'd push pathologists to get test results to him early so we didn't have to sweat. He'd call us from his cell phone after surgery. He'd race over to his office from the hospital on his mountain bike when we heard we were in town, etc. Call me spoiled...
Posted By: Uptown Re: MD Anderson - 06-25-2004 02:02 PM
Eric,

I am sorry you had such a runaround with MD Anderson. I am glad you finally got everything resolved and are headed to ZZ Top country! My experience was so different. I called one day, faxed biopsies, doctor notes, etc., later that day and spoke with a person twice the first day. They rapidly arranged for a telephone consult with my otolaryngologist in lieu of me going there in person since my timeframe was urgent. They concurred with my otolarngologist immediately and the entire process was within 24 hours. I was very impressed.

Good luck and I hope He guides you to exactly what you need to successfully kick the C in the a--!

Ed
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: MD Anderson - 06-25-2004 07:06 PM
Actually the worst part about my upcoming MD Anderson trip -- the Houston Astros aren't in town... haha... Too bad, since they play the Cubs...
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: MD Anderson - 07-04-2004 02:55 AM
Just got back from a trip to MD Anderson this week... wow, what a place...

I have a newfound respect for MD Anderson after seeing it in action. Yes, there is a cattle-call feel about it at times, but a lot of folks also bent over backwards for us when we told them we were there from out of town and only had a few days. I had to laugh when they call you six at a time to do bloodwork, and sit you down in chairs right next to each other in the same room. A bloodwork assembly line -- how novel!!

Basically, they confirmed everything my docs in Phoenix were saying, so that was comforting. We are going to stay in Phoenix for this round of treatments, only because I will be on the same IMRT machine, and the Phx folks are familiar with my initial treatment plan. At one point, they even considered using my old mask -- believe it or not I held on to it for some reason -- but it is too loose now since I lost a lot of weight from the first go around (and lost a nice chunk of my left neck from my recent radical neck dissection).

I went in for my simulation on Friday (kind of like reliving a nightmare in some ways) and will likely start treatments either late this week or early the week after. This time we get to add chemo to the mix -- joy, joy...

But I intend to deliver the knock out punch to the cancer this time around. Time to get back into fightin' mode...
Posted By: Cathy G Re: MD Anderson - 07-04-2004 10:09 AM
Eric,

I'm glad you were able to get such a thorough review of your case at this stage, and I hope this truly is the knock-out punch. You have lots of prayers going with you every day.

Cathy
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: MD Anderson - 07-04-2004 10:53 AM
Eric, It's good news that your Phoenix Dr's were confirmed by MD Dr's. That should make you feel good. It's unfortunate that you have to have another go at it, but at least there is something to have a go with. If you are getting chemo and rad is the chemo ciplatin? That is the common chemo to go with rad and what I had. So far, the cancer was killed in me with that combo. Hope it goes well with you. You will be in my prayers over the next few months, at least.
Posted By: nancyt Re: MD Anderson - 07-04-2004 02:20 PM
Eric,

I'm glad things went to well at MD Anderson and that they were able to confirm what your AZ doctors had to say. Good to hear that you can do your treatments from home. Sorry about having to go through radiation again but at least you'll know what to expect and know that we're here for you. You sound so upbeat that you really lifted my spirits today. I'm ashamed to say I've been feeling a little down but your attitude has brought me back down to earth again. With that positive thinking, I'm sure you'll be able to kick this cancer in the butt this time for good! Good luck, keep us posted and I'll be saying my share of prayers for you.

Nancy
Posted By: Uptown Re: MD Anderson - 07-05-2004 05:56 PM
Eric,

I am glad you have gained a little peace of mind with your Texas vacation. I pray God will guide you and watch over you through your treatments.

Ed
Posted By: Leena Re: MD Anderson - 07-05-2004 06:29 PM
Eric,
I am glad they agreed that you are getting the right treatment. Sorry you have to go through with it again.
Fight the beast!
Leena
Posted By: Kris Re: MD Anderson - 07-06-2004 11:37 AM
Eric-

Will definately be sending prayers your way to help you through this second go around! After all of this talk about MD Anderson please fill us in on the treatments/drugs they are hitting you with. I guess I'm in "compare mode" and am curious if the Univ of WA is on the same treatment plan for this stage. Best of luck to you!! - Kris
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: MD Anderson - 07-06-2004 01:22 PM
Kris -- actually I am doing my treatments in Phx, but the folks at MD Anderson prescribed the same plan as my Phx docs -- cisplatin chemo (once every three weeks, 2 or 3 times) plus IMRT radiation to my lower neck (both sides)... I got nauscious (spelling?) this morning just thinking about chemo. That's not a good sign...

I like your sig -- every day is truly a gift...
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum