Posted By: fr mike Update on Fr Mike - 07-18-2003 09:48 PM
Hey everyone. Just wanted to share the good news of today's visit to the ENT. He gave me the results of the CT scans that were done and has told me that they were all negative (except of course for the visible tumor on my tongue.) He also did his own physical exam which involved putting a scope down my nasal passage and reported that everything looked the way it should.
He also pointed out that the tumor had not reached the midline of my tongue.

The end result is that he is recommending surgery (his specialty, so I wasn't surprised). He did however present a great case for going with surgery prior to radiation and/or chemo. He is also suggesting that I have a modified neck disection to ensure that the lymph nodes have not been involved yet. I agree with his reasoning as well.

All things considered I think I'm willing to take the chance that surgery with a 7-10 day hospitalization will be the best way to go. I was told that given my particular situation I would have a 70-80% chance to be cured by the surgery alone.

Is there anything I have not yet considered in making this decission? Or is there anything you think I still need to know?

Peace,

Fr. Mike
Posted By: Lisa in Florida Re: Update on Fr Mike - 07-18-2003 10:59 PM
Relatively great news, Fr. Mike! Your case just sounds so similar to mine. Did they determine the stage yet?
Posted By: fr mike Re: Update on Fr Mike - 07-19-2003 12:29 AM
Lisa,

Yes, I've be diagnosed stage 2.

Peace,

Fr Mike
Posted By: Lisa in Florida Re: Update on Fr Mike - 07-19-2003 12:16 PM
Your treatment plan sounds reasonable to me, Fr. Mike. And it is good news. I would bet your Dr is taking the silver bullet approach to radiation-holding off on it for "just in case." My doctor did say if they had found cancer in my lymph nodes I would have radiation, but he didn't think it would be there. He was right! So far, so good. Be sure and let us know when your big day is so we can all be thinking those good thoughts for you.

Lisa
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum