Posted By: WZ Hypothroidism or hyperthroidism - 06-29-2003 08:31 PM
I am currently 7 months post radiation treatment. lately, I started to feel weak muscle and a lot of sweating, sometime my hand is shaking. I remember the radiation doctor told me that some patients will experience throid problem (hypothroidism) after the treatment, but, the symptom I had is more like hyperthroidism rather than hypothroidism, does anybody who had Rad treatment experienced similar situation ?
Posted By: Joanna Re: Hypothroidism or hyperthroidism - 06-29-2003 09:53 PM
WZ, at about the same point post-rad, I felt a decrease in energy and had thyroid tests done. What they showed was a surprising increase (hyper) which would tend to explain why I have been eating like a linebacker and gaining no weight, a situation much to my liking (grin). Subsequent testing has shown the levels to be falling towards normal. The explanation I was given is that the chemo I had was still affecting my body. My rad oncologist told me hypothyroidism generally shows up at about 2 years out, for what that's worth. I would recommend that you request testing. Good luck!
Joanna
P.S. My energy returned to previous Type A levels in a couple of weeks, so I think maybe I just had a bug.
Posted By: Mark Re: Hypothroidism or hyperthroidism - 06-30-2003 12:05 AM
Hi WZ, If you are taking Salagen (pilocarpine) it will make you sweat more also.
Posted By: WZ Re: Hypothroidism or hyperthroidism - 06-30-2003 09:03 AM
Thank you Joanna, I will ask for a test to make sure.

Mark, I did take Salagen and I agree what you said my excessive sweating may just from this Med.
Posted By: Ilene Re: Hypothroidism or hyperthroidism - 07-01-2003 07:34 PM
Right after I finished radiation I found that I was very warm for a while. I would break into a sweat very easily and I wasn't on salagen then. A few months later the trend reversed and I was cold all the time (and have remained so the last 18 months) Today it is 85 and I am finally feeling warm. The hypothyroidism was diagnosed about 6 months after treatment ended and it has taken the past 18 months to get my level regulated. Although I test ok now, I am still tired and cold although not as bad as I was before.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum