Posted By: gmcraft The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 02-08-2015 04:17 PM
The documentary will be shown on PBS on March 30, 31 and April 1 . Here is a link you can check out:

http://cancerfilms.org/
Posted By: PaulB Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 02-08-2015 04:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I read the book, all 900 pages lol. It should be interesting since Ken Burns is a good producer, director of documentary films.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 02-08-2015 09:41 PM
Thanks Gloria! I read the book, too quite some time ago (I think it had been mentioned right here on OCF) and looking forward to the documentary. I have the book on my iPhone Kindle app and going to re-read it.
Posted By: donfoo Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 02-09-2015 04:41 AM
Thank you about the book and show.
Posted By: David2 Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 02-09-2015 07:25 PM
Fantastic book, looking forward.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 03-28-2015 11:43 PM
It's been a while since this was posted by Gloria (gmcraft) and I just thought a reminder was in order. I read the book when it was first mentioned here some years ago and it well worth re-reading and seeing the PBS viewing:

<<The documentary will be shown on PBS on March 30, 31 and April 1 . Here is a link you can check out: >>

http://cancerfilms.org/

It's this coming Monday. In my area (eastern time zone) it's at 9pm.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 03-29-2015 01:01 AM
Thanks Anne-Marie, you beat me to the reminder.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 03-30-2015 08:32 PM
Tonite's the Night! 9pm PBS
Posted By: poiuyt Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 03-31-2015 12:06 PM
Wow, that first episode was depressing - all those kids suffering and dying. I hope tonight's episode won't be about kids; hoping they will move on to look at different kinds of cancer in adults and some stuff about research and cures.
Posted By: PaulB Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 03-31-2015 01:58 PM
It's pretty much on target with the book, but not as many names, dates, which made the book a difficult read sometimes, but it is what it is. Not too much, if any, about head and neck cancer though.
Posted By: PJE Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 03-31-2015 05:23 PM
We've lost quite a few members of my wife's and my own family to cancers of various kinds over the years, so I would have watched this in any case. But it was especially poignant for me last night given my diagnosis last Friday. Seeing what kind of research has brought us to this point, and how much suffering has happened to get us here put my own case in much better perspective. And I cried when the little boy died, feeling lucky for the first time since then.
Posted By: donfoo Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 04-01-2015 03:14 PM
I caught the episode last night and it was super uplifting to learn more details how biotech research in immunology and gene therapies are going to lead to much greater cure rates with far fewer long term side effects.

Just like the radical mastectomy seems so arcane, brutal, and plain wrong, we will look back on radiation and think the same thing.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 05-09-2015 09:18 AM
I've just watched the four two hour episodes online over the last two days. I'm left feeling emotionally battered but full of admiration for all the patient research that has taken place over the last century or so.
Posted By: Virgo Re: The Emperor of All Maladies Documentary - 05-11-2015 12:30 AM
I felt the same way after watching the first two hours. It was heart wrenching to watch the portion I did. I couldn't watch the final two hours. The whole documentary hit too close to home in many ways.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum