Posted By: Dragan Life goes on... - 10-24-2007 08:37 PM
We laid my Father to rest, and now we're dealing with the next battle with the Beast. My Father in Law had a kidney removed a month ago, a second surgery a week later for complications, and now the first visit to the cancer center.

We were expecting to hear a straight-forward treatment plan, based on what we knew post surgery. That wasn't to be, apparently.

The cancer he has is very agressive, with lymph node involvement throughout his abdominal cavity and chest. Optimistically, with agressive palative chemo, he has perhaps a year. Without, less than 5 months.

I hate statistics....I also hate unreal expectations. It's tough having to deal with this new reality, especially for my wife. The search for the magic bullet begins again...with different players.

The challenge now is to help my Father in Law make the right decisions regarding treatment. He's alone, and really doesn't understand the magnitude of the situation.

Trying to be there for my family...I wonder how much more of this we can handle
Wayne
Posted By: Donnarose Re: Life goes on... - 10-25-2007 02:45 PM
Hi Wayne,
Just wanted you to know that I have you all in my thoughts and prayers. It is so overwhelming, and with no time to recover from what you've been through. I'm sorry.
Donna
Posted By: EzJim Re: Life goes on... - 10-25-2007 08:20 PM
Hi Wayne,, I went thru this with my mother a few years ago and thru it with my best friend a year ago. It's tough and like everything it all takes time. My best buddy just wanted to see Christmas with his 1st grandson. He passed New Years morning this past Jan 1st. You have my prayers for sure.
Posted By: JAM Re: Life goes on... - 10-25-2007 11:32 PM
Wayne, this is not a "comfort" post- but a realistic one. I have been told by several Docs that if we live long enough, 80% of us will be diagnosed with some form of cancer. And the medical profession is dedicated to keeping all of us alive longer. So cancer seems to be in the long term picture at this point for many of us. That doesn't help in the present, but it does let us all know that "cancer in every form" must be a major battle in the medical community and in the public awareness. It doesn't matter what political persuasion we are, the fight against this disease takes precedence over "bridges to no where", pork barrel funding, etc. WE need to get serious with our elected oficials about health issues. I know you are in a very stressful situation and I wish you strenght. Amy in the Ozarks
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum