Posted By: zengalib How often are you guys usually scanned? - 03-12-2012 09:07 PM
I am going on three years out from diagnosis and will be three years out of treatment this August. I have had a PET scan prior to surgery, one three months after treatment, and have had six CAT scans that were all clear. I had my last scan this past November. I see my RO every 6 months, my chemo guy every 3 months, my surgeon every 3 months and my primary care physician every 3 months, as well. I was wondering how often most of you who have been out of treatment for a while, have scans now.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: How often are you guys usually scanned? - 03-12-2012 11:19 PM
Mine said no more after my first post treatment scan - I went through my family dr. For the one I had In dec. I told him I'd be back for one every 6 mos - he agrees.
My drs are happy to just do a scope and feel. I never see my MO - not since she discharged me after treatment - only my rads and surgeon/ENT every 3 mos. and my plastics guy every 6. My family dr. I see as needed, they believe too much radiation (MRI / CT ) isn't good.

Take care.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: How often are you guys usually scanned? - 03-13-2012 12:24 AM

The longer you are out from your treatments the less you have to get checked. Of course this is unless something isnt right. If you have a problem go to your doc, dont put it off. Better safe than sorry. Where you are with your doctors and scans sounds about right for being finished 3 years.

My main doc for all my cancer stuff is my ENT. My ENT just moved me from every other month to every 3 months. When I see him I am hoping to be pushed to every 4 months. I get CT scans every 6 months and seen my MO the same frequency. Im hoping to be moved to every 9 months at next week's visit. Of course that is if everything is ok with the scan. I see my family doctor only when something is wrong which is rarely. I no longer see my RO, havent seen him for over a year. He told me he would love to keep me as his patient but its really not necessary.

Posted By: zengalib Re: How often are you guys usually scanned? - 03-13-2012 05:13 PM
I guess I was sort of concerned because my MO did not order a scan for May when I saw him in February. I will see him in May, as well as my RO, but he felt that unless I noticed something different, a scan wasn't necessary this time. My RO is also of the opinion re:Cheryl that too much radiation isn't good. My surgeon (the ENT) has been pleased with my progress. He examines my neck and the inside of my mouth very carefully as well. I also see my dentist every 3-4 months and he looks at my mouth very carefully, too. My dentist was the one who originally referred me for a biopsy, so he has been very involved in my treatment. My family doctor monitors my blood pressure and my thyroid. I was just curious as to what others have experienced in follow-up care.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: How often are you guys usually scanned? - 03-13-2012 09:00 PM
My scans are getting further apart as well. I do understand that too frequent tests are not good for you, but it is scary when it happens! Sounds like you have a great doctor who is very receptive to seeing you right away should something arise so let that give you great comfort.

Donna
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: How often are you guys usually scanned? - 03-13-2012 09:29 PM
I was so tired of doctors that I "retired" my RO, MO, and primary and just see my ENT (who was the first to DX me as well as did the surgery )every three months. I get an MRI once a year although the MRI radiologist recommends every six months but I'm comfortable with my ENT's judgement.
Plus only having one MRI a year significantly reduces my routine pre-scan paranoia. So far, so good.
Charm
Posted By: zengalib Re: How often are you guys usually scanned? - 03-14-2012 01:35 AM
Thanks, guys. I appreciate your feedback.
Posted By: David2 Re: How often are you guys usually scanned? - 03-14-2012 01:37 AM
Zen - for the first two and a half years I had PET/CT at 6 month intervals. At my last one this past November, my RO said we could move to yearly. I do see my ENT though every 3 months for a general looksee - today in fact - and so far so good!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum