Posted By: Kelly211 Help with MD Anderson - 09-11-2011 01:21 AM
I am getting ready to be at MD Anderson in Houston on Wednesday the 14th. I have never been. They may evaluate me and send me for treatment someplace else, but if I stay in Houston for the duration (2-3 months) I was wondering where I should look to stay. Do they have places for patients? My wife will be going back and forth with our 14 year old son. Any other tips from MDA alums would help. I am flying a little blind here.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Help with MD Anderson - 09-11-2011 01:54 AM
There is a hotel directly attached to the hospital. It is too expensive for a protracted treatment stay, (not for the rich that travel there from all over the world, but for us mere mortals) but for a couple of days of evaluation you can stay there and walk across the catwalk right into the hospital, and it has a decent eating place in it as well.

If you are going to be there for some protracted time there is a church group that owns a ton of condos all around MDACC. They are furnished with everything you will ever need. Modest to be sure, but highly affordable by the week or month. I stayed in one for 4 months. Ask the MDACC staff about them if you are going to be there for awhile. If you have dead time while you are waiting between appointments, I can offer you other things that you should do there. We have a couple of survivors that live in Houston, and I can also hook you up with them if you need more information.
Posted By: Malka Re: Help with MD Anderson - 09-13-2011 02:30 AM
Aishel House is for Jewish patients,but as Brian mentioned there are other organizations there. If you have any problems with referals from Anderson to these places the Lazaroffs could help direct you. They are very warm and dedicated.

www.AishelHouse.org
Chabad at Texas Medical Center
1955 University Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030 USA
713-522-2004
www.Chabadtmc.org
Rabbi Eliezer Lazaroff, Executive Director
Rabbi Yitzchok Schmukler, Associate Director
Mrs. Rochel Lazaroff, Volunteer Coordinator
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Help with MD Anderson - 09-13-2011 05:21 AM
Kelly, also check out this thread for some other useful links to help when traveling for medical reasons. I posted several links about discounted air travel.

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=118755&page=1

Posted By: homershoney Re: Help with MD Anderson - 09-17-2011 02:23 AM
Kelly,
I am a little late reading this but my home is always open. For free. I am 30 minutes from MD Anderson. I have extra bedrooms.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Help with MD Anderson - 09-17-2011 05:58 PM
Theresa - you're awesome! smile just saying!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum