Posted By: Sandy177 Thankful - 08-26-2011 07:58 PM
J got an "all clear" on his MRI results today. We are thankful that he does not have cancer...and never did.

I am thankful for 2nd opinions. If it wasn't for the Oral Cancer Foundation Forum, we wouldn't have known where to turn to get that 2nd opinion. Since he went through some life and body changing things (unnecessary tonsillectomy, had four healthy teeth pulled, had 2 of the 8 weeks of prescribed Erbitux therapy, and two doses of radiation from the tip of his nose to his spine), the OCF website and forum provided information and support to help us get through what was looking to become quite a difficult experience. The OCF has been a godsend to us for which I am truly grateful.

Most of all, I am thankful for all the friends I have made while participating on the forum and the kindness, information, laughter, and support generously given to me over the past 7 months. You are more than friends; you are family. I will be with you all in spirit in the fight against this monster disease.

I wish all of you and the people you love great health and great happiness.

Sandy
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Thankful - 08-26-2011 08:01 PM
Great Great Great news!!!
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: Thankful - 08-26-2011 09:09 PM
People brighten our pages when they share good news! Thank you!
Posted By: Maria Re: Thankful - 08-26-2011 09:36 PM
Glad to hear your fantastic news, Sandy!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Thankful - 08-26-2011 09:59 PM
Good to hear J does not have Cancer. So sad he was misdiagnosed.
What total bullshit - although if I did have the option, I would choose to have my Stage IV just turn out to be a mistake.
Sort of like Bobby Ewing's Dream sequence years ago that he was never shot in Dallas.
Keep the Faith
Charm
Posted By: Cathi Carpenter Re: Thankful - 08-26-2011 11:09 PM
Awesome news!!! Although J doesn't have cancer, you're still a very big part of our family here and I for one need you!! So please tell us that you're going to stick around!

Love,

Cathi
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Thankful - 08-27-2011 03:34 AM
Excellent news Sandy!!!! Wish we all were that fortunate. You never take your health seriously until its in jeopardy. May your husband have many years of continued good health. Hope neither one of you ever need the forum, but if you do we are here. Best wishes with everything the future holds!!!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Thankful - 08-27-2011 04:34 AM
That's sooo great!!! I told you thus on Facebook too... You have RO remind him how lucky he is to have you!! smile hugs and another happy dance for you!
Posted By: julieann Re: Thankful - 08-27-2011 04:51 AM
Let me join in with the Happy Dance for J - How wonderful. It's almost unbelievable something like that could be so misdiagnosed, and almost ruin someone's life. I just thank the Lord that it wasn't the monster and that he can lead a normal life again. Happy, happy, dance from julieann
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Thankful - 08-27-2011 08:49 AM
Oh - that is wonderful news, Sandy! And you are an awesome Caregiver for the super human strength, compassion, love, and downright good sense you've demonstrated in bringing this about for J. I hope he is doing his own happy dance and that he realizes how lucky he is to have you in his life! We need you here, Sandy so please stay with us.
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: Thankful - 08-27-2011 10:41 AM
Thank you...all of you...for sharing my happiness about the news we got today. It means more to me to hear these kind and supportive words from you than anyone else. Only people who have personal experience with oral cancer can possibly understand what this news truly means.

Because I have experienced just a taste of what you have all been through, I am humbled more than happy, feel unworthy more than lucky, and feel fortunate rather than wronged...and blessed because I have received precious gifts from this whole mess--dear friends...a treasured family.

@ Cathi and Anne-Marie: No need to worry that I will disappear from the face of planet OCF. I will still be here contributing when and where I can. I never made it to the front lines--actually, I never made it through basic training. So, I guess I'll need to be a civilian consultant. However, with HPV the way it is, I may eventually be called into active duty. I'm glad I can come back for support if and when I need it...For now, I'll stick to things I know about to help out around the forum. One of them is emphasizing the importance of 2nd opinions.

@ Cheryl and Julieann: Thank you for the happy dance! It's a great way to celebrate. I think I'll do a happy dance tomorrow. Today...I took a happy nap...the past nine months kind of wore me out more than I thought. I shouldn't have slept so long--I'm back to being a midnight muffin and can't seem to shut down. Oh well.

Cheryl--You meant J and not his RO, right? I think his RO will be sorry he ever met me when I get through with him. He planned rads based on the false positives from the PET scan without a biopsy. And, he sent two letters to us (certified, return receipt) insisting J get treated ASAP or his treatable cancer would become fatal. I'm glad we didn't take the bait. If there is one phrase that OCF has embedded in my brain it's "it isn't cancer until a biopsy says it's cancer."

@ Charm: Thank you. And, I wish it was different for you and everyone else on this forum. I wish it had turned out for everyone how it turned out for J. For this exact reason, there isn't complete elation for me in receiving our good news. And, I wouldn't have it any other way.

However, I wouldn't mind looking like Victoria Principal, circa Dallas 1980-something! I'd even do the big hair and shoulder pad thing. Ah...I can see Bobby...in the shower...wearing a big grin...and not much else..."Hello, Darlin'!"...ooops, better get outta there--getting a little steamy what with the shower running and all...Yep the last year was kind of a dream. A real nightmare. But, I think I can say with confidence, it's over.

Now, on to living life and getting all the other stuff and nonsense squared away. Still some unpleasantries to take care of...but nothing life threatening.

My biggest thanks go to Brian Hill. Without him, we would have had a much different story to tell. I am eternally grateful for what he has built.

Love to all,

Sandy

Posted By: walknlite Re: Thankful - 08-27-2011 12:04 PM
I am o glad to read that J did not have cancer, but sorry you had to go through what you went through. What a roller coaster!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum