Posted By: boston lumps on both sides of neck - 04-16-2011 10:28 AM
Hi All:

My mom called me last night and said my dad had small bumps on both sides of his neck. My dad had a Pet/CT scan about 2 months ago that came back fine. I have not felt them. But, when he first had cancer it was only on one side. We have our 6 week follow up at Dana Farber in about 10 days. Could the lumps just be infection? Just seems to be too quick, from his last test. I would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Boston
Posted By: EricS Re: lumps on both sides of neck - 04-20-2011 01:27 AM
Boston,

The lumps could be a lot of things not necessarily cancer. It's easy for the mind to jump there of course especially after having cancer. If your parents are not comfortable waiting 10 days, get in sooner and have it checked out. It's really the only option.

Best of luck

Eric
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: lumps on both sides of neck - 04-20-2011 10:18 AM
Boston - As others have said here, "sometimes a lump is just a lump" but the worrying and waiting can be horrible. So I do hope your Dad can get a much earlier appointment. It is very possible the doctor's office can switch things around to get your Dad in much sooner. It helps to impress upon the person you talk to how it is affecting all those concerned. When my son's first appointment with the H & N surgeon was scheduled for a week and a half away, I was in such a stressful state, my ex-daughter in law offered to call the doctor's office. She pretended to be still married to Paul and got the appointment for the next business day! Hope things go well. Let us know what happens.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: lumps on both sides of neck - 04-20-2011 02:34 PM
Yup sometimes a lump is just a lump - infection, inflammation the flu - but save yourself the worry and book an earlier appoimtment., And good luck!!!
Posted By: MaineWill Re: lumps on both sides of neck - 04-20-2011 02:46 PM
Boston, I'm in Boston too. Mass General under the care of Dr. Paul Busse. 35 years in head and neck rad oncology. Also, I had my surgery at Tufts by a Dr. Richard Wein. In my opinion Wein is the best neck surgeon on the planet. You can't even see where he took an egg size lymph node from my neck. I think it was over 25 stitches (all on the inside). Not 1 stitch showing. I don't know how he did it but he is "the man". Very well known. Gives lectures and symposes. In fact he is having one at the end of this month or the 1st week in May Cancer survivors go free.
Just so you know I have been told that a PET scan can only pick up cancer about the size of a thumb nail (about a billion cells) (my tonsils only lit up because I had had tonsilitis a dozen times. Both lit right up but the tumor was left side 1ml. About the size of a broken pencil point tip) It took the lab 2 passes in pathology just to find it in that one tonsil. So... you'll want a biopsy, and as soon as you can. He's probably fine but get it checked for your and his peace of mind. Go see Wien. Use Will Zinn as a patient referal. Dad will love this guy. Also ask about the upcomming speach/talk/gathering. I can also get you the details. Please keep us posted. Will
Posted By: walknlite Re: lumps on both sides of neck - 04-21-2011 02:09 AM
I have lumps on both sides of my neck and have had them check out by my RO and ENT. Neither one of them are concerned and said that one of the lumps is a knotted up hard muslce due ot fibrosis. Like they all said sometimes a lump is just a lump.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum