Posted By: EricS very sick - 04-08-2011 02:45 AM
Haven't been on, vry sick and on lots of meds atm. Thanks for the pms not ignoring just hard to type . I'm ok though will be online soon.

Be good and keep things clean until I get back

Eric
Posted By: Suess57 Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 03:02 AM
ooo, feel better Eric.
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 03:07 AM

Get well soon Eric.

Karen ((hug))
Posted By: Cheryld Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 03:21 AM
Relax - regain your strength and feel better...

<<<<<HeALINg ViBeS>>>>>>
Posted By: Dragan Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 03:21 AM
Eric,
Hang in there man. From the looks of things, you and I have travelled the same path...you'll get through this.
Posted By: ESikon Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 03:35 AM
Saying my prayers for you Eric, rest up and get well!
Posted By: Yvonne Johnson Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 03:36 AM
Hey Eric,

Thinking of you hope you get better soon. I'm so sorry you are not feeling well.

Yvonne
Posted By: ChristineB Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 08:39 AM
Ive been wondering about you. Im sorry you arent feeling well. Please take a minute to check the PM I sent you, its about medicine and may help you. Be well my friend!!!!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 09:50 AM
Eric - Rest up and feel better really soon! Sending positive vibes your way!
Posted By: WendyG Re: very sick - 04-08-2011 10:41 AM
Take it easy Eric and get well soon. Make sure you rest.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: very sick - 04-09-2011 04:01 AM
Eric, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Rest up and get well soon!
Posted By: David2 Re: very sick - 04-09-2011 04:29 PM
Hang in there, Eric. I'll keep the positive vibes flowing your way.

d2
Posted By: Gabe Re: very sick - 04-09-2011 09:36 PM
Hope you are feeling a little better Eric?
Take care of yourself.
Gabriele
Posted By: julieann Re: very sick - 04-09-2011 09:44 PM
Eric:
YOU CAN'T BE SICK. You're the one who always takes care of us, so please get well soon. I/we miss your posts. Take the medicine Christine suggested. Hope to read you're okay soon.
Hugs,
julieann
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-09-2011 11:22 PM
First, let me say thank you all for your well wishes. I'm on the mend, I think, if I can stop being stupid and stubborn for any length of time...

So to spare the details of a very long story...listen to your bodies and pushing them after the experience some of us have had with this disease isn't smart. When it tells you you've gone too far it can be rather harsh. Needless to say I think I have learned my lesson.

Love you guys.

Eric
Posted By: julieann Re: very sick - 04-10-2011 01:38 AM
GOOD BOY! Now, get well.
Hugs,
julieann
Posted By: minniemoo066 Re: very sick - 04-10-2011 03:29 AM
Good to hear you are on the mend Eric. Miss your posts.

Minh
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: very sick - 04-10-2011 03:52 AM
Wow Eric...you must have been sick if you are mouthing words like that. As, as much as I do believe you, I just know that as soon as you are feeling back to your new normal you will be off like a shot and those words will be just a distant memory. Grrrrrrrrrrrr......... Men!!

(Hugs)

Donna
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: very sick - 04-10-2011 04:15 AM
So glad you're on the mend, Eric - Take care of yourself. Be good to yourself! Just DO it!
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-10-2011 06:15 AM
Donna,

You are probably right, but my body is pissed at me right now and hit me very hard. In the last week I've lossed about 15lbs of hard earned muscle, am weak, dehydrated and so tired I can't see straight .

This morning I awoke finally feeling "not close to death" and decided to try and help at the pizza shop. I had my first "meal" (ensure and protein ) and started prepping for the day. 3 hours later I was on my back, helped back into the bed I've been in for 7 + days. see...stupid and stubborn. I'm committing to myself, for my families sake, to not push so hard and I know I need help honoring that commitment.

have to be done tonight, very tired.

Eric
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: very sick - 04-10-2011 01:45 PM
Oh Eric - Please, do take all the time you need to get yourself feeling better. I'm glad you decided not too push yourself so hard. We worry about you! You are so important to us and we want you back to your old self but do it on your own sensible schedule, taking care of your nutrition and hydration and rest. Now, be good, ok? We'll be watching. smile
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: very sick - 04-11-2011 12:27 AM
Well didn't I just call it?? MEN??? Keep your butt in bed and get better. If someone needs to go in and tie you down, well so be it. Give it TIME you stubborn male.

And Eric.....you just have to know I was right. When did you last know a woman who was "PROBABLY right"?????

Donna
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-11-2011 01:14 AM
Donna, techincally you didn't call it. smile See I had ALREADY been stubborn and pushed myself too far and THEN had to admit I was stupid and then had learned my lesson (probably not). Soo UNTIL I push myself like that again THEN you'll be right. In my head that makes sense but then again I may be still feverish.

You know I'm just messin with you girl wink you are probably right hahaha!

Eric
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: very sick - 04-11-2011 02:29 AM
Hi Eric,

If you are giving someone s&%t then you must be feeling somewhat better! Glad to hear you are starting to get back to your usual self! Just because we all think you are a superhero doesn't mean you need to prove it all the time. Be good to yourself and take it easy. Eat and get well.

Sandy
Posted By: walknlite Re: very sick - 04-11-2011 02:44 AM
I have been out of the loop. Sorry you have been sick. Glad to read that you are on the mend. You are always here to enrouage people on and tell them like ti is. Praying that you get well soon.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: very sick - 04-11-2011 06:01 AM
I'm surprised you are married and such a slow learner. No woman is ever "PROBABLY RIGHT". We are "ALWAYS RIGHT".

Got it? Good.

(I have a very charming and colourful friend from Oklahoma who is full of sayings....one of my favourites of hers is "If I tell you it's Christmas then y'all better hang your stockings"!!)
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: very sick - 04-11-2011 10:06 AM
I agree, women are always right - that's because they remember things more accurately than men and that's because most of them are right brain people. In addition, some of them also have more developed left brains which makes them even more formidable to deal with. So, listen to the girls, Eric! grin
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: very sick - 04-11-2011 12:46 PM
Eric

You know what they say my friend: Happy Wife, Happy Life
I'm sure our OCF gals aren't telling you anything your wife hasn't already.
Recover soon brother
Charm
Posted By: walknlite Re: very sick - 04-12-2011 02:49 AM
The rules in my house are "The woman is always right." "If the woman is wrong see the first rule." smile
Posted By: David2 Re: very sick - 04-12-2011 04:06 PM
Same rules here at my place, Angelia... and I live alone!

d2
Posted By: EzJim Re: very sick - 04-12-2011 09:45 PM
Come on Buddy and put the gloves on. We know how tough you are and can win your battle. I need you to boost me up when I am down as you always do. We all need you and your wisdom.
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-13-2011 01:51 AM
Thanks Jim...I'm getting my butt kicked at the moment though. Seems every time I start feeling better, and try to do anything I get slapped back down. I've never felt so sick for so long. My whole household got it and everyone else is feeling better, I'm still spiking fevers.

I know rest is best but I'm not liking this laying around.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: very sick - 04-13-2011 05:45 AM
Wow...sounds like quite the strain of flu you have there - praying for your return to good health and energy. Hugs

Donna
Posted By: EzJim Re: very sick - 04-13-2011 05:14 PM
Eric it has been a while since I contacted flu but I do remember the misery. I make sure I get the shot every year. I hope by the time you read this, you have that sense of humor back in gear. Time now for me to get the Pneumonia shot again now. Dr was too busy last time I visited her at the VA so she said next visit. LOL 2 weeks later, some guy got that crap and needed anti biotics.
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-14-2011 01:11 AM
I never get sick, ever. Before cancer I had 5 sick days in my working career...and I'd taken 3 of them to go to Vegas.

Well I went down on the 1st from exhaustion, I was tired. I'd been pushing very hard the last few months and my goal was to make it to April 1st. That day came and I just didn't get out of bed. When I woke on the 2nd I was still too tired to do anything so I just laid there. Then my family started getting sick, my wife who never gets sick either woke up on the 2nd and was very sick but the kids seemed fine. On the 3rd I woke up after being in bed the two previous days and I couldn't move I felt so bad. It's been that way since. On the 7th I felt somewhat better, the last person in the house not feeling good but I felt good enough to get up and move around so I went to work...oy.

Yesterday was the same way, I felt great finally and went to work and after a few hours spiked a fever that I haven't had in over a day. Got home and back in bed with chills and felt as bad as I did. I just can't believe it's coming up on two weeks already. Today I've done nothing but rest, drink fluids and bundle up but I still feel it holding on. It's pissin me off really but whatever. I'm finally eating again (can't believe I'm skinny again!) and getting lots of fluids so I don't think it'll be long now.

Thanks for all of the well wishes

Eric

Posted By: Susan3175 Re: very sick - 04-14-2011 02:12 AM
Oh Eric sorry I have been away for a bit!! That really sucks about being sick for so long. I'm sure I shouldn't mention vitamins and tea like everyone else I am sure have mentioned. Us women all know the big babies you boys become when you aren't feeling well. I think you should stay in bed and have that wife of yours go for a spa day.
I'm kidding. Hope you feel better soon though and I am bummed your not going to be in NY for the walk. frown
Posted By: jennie Re: very sick - 04-14-2011 06:06 PM
I have a theory about cancer and other sicknesses- because like you (my) Erik had been sick maybe 1 day in five years prior to cancer. I believe the body is putting out so many white blood cells for years prior to actually aquiring cancer, because its working hard to kick any foreign cells (ie: 1st cancer cells) that you have a SUPER immune system- (thus not catching any colds or flu's) of course after cancer and treatment your body goes back to making normal amounts of cells (sometimes a few short for a while)- allowing for colds and flu's to get through)
Erik getting an occasional sickness kinda gives me a bit of joy, cause I think -his body isnt over protecting trying to fight cancer.
Its just my theory- probably not backed by any real research- but I like to live in my pseudo-crazy-gotta-have-an-answer-world! smile
Posted By: Marlene41 Re: very sick - 04-16-2011 02:20 PM
You're still tough, Eric -
some people ended in the hospital with flu.
So baby the body, listen to the women here, & feel better soon.

Marlene
Posted By: EzJim Re: very sick - 04-17-2011 02:15 PM
Eric, as they say, " It all takes time".
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-22-2011 12:07 AM
Well, it's my second full day back at work...when I say full I mean I put in just 8 hours. I've been really tired afterwards, I know it's due to the weight/muscle loss and inactivity, but it still feels good to be back and helping once again.

I feel old, but I guess it doesn't help that I work with two machines (my wife and business partner) that seriously work everybit as hard as I used to be able to. I guess I'm too competitive and think I should be able to keep up with them, I still think I can get there though. They are forcing me to "take it easy" and that pisses me off too but it's impossible to argue with either of them. I hate that.

Anyway, hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be back to where I was and hopefully moving forward. Thanks for all the encouragement and support.

Eric
Posted By: Imiller Re: very sick - 04-22-2011 04:28 AM
I hope you feel better tomorrow...
Another day...another chance...
Posted By: WendyG Re: very sick - 04-24-2011 10:22 AM
Don't worry Eric, I feel old too and I don't have the flu lol. Hang in there mate and get well soon. Listen to the women in your life because we know xo
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: very sick - 04-24-2011 07:03 PM
I feel old, too. But that's because I am old. laugh
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-24-2011 10:46 PM
I'm actually pretty proud of myself, I've been listening and taking advice lately...which may be a testament to how sick I was. I found out that I actually had developed pneumonia and due to my issues with antibiotics I've had no choice but to rest and follow not only Dr's orders...but my wife's too...and my Mom's.

I'm really just frustrated and having to be in bed just brings me back to when I was in incapacitated for 2 years, basically worthless. Not good for me. That and losing all of that weight...I'd worked so hard to put it on and was looking great. I was so proud of the muscle that was starting to fill out my frame again. Now I look emaciated, I'm surprised a charitible group hasn't started knocking on my door wanting to feed me. The thought of all the protien shakes and lifting I'll have to endure to get back the now 20lbs I've lossed makes me feel more mentally and physically exhausted then I already am.

I know I'll get my motivation back when I feel better, but like most men I'm a big baby when I don't feel well.

Sorry for the vent, thanks for the support.

Eric
Posted By: klo Re: very sick - 04-25-2011 02:08 AM
Eric
so the moral of the story is LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE sooner. That way you won't have to endure all those protein shakes and lifting. Dopey bugger!!

But seriously, let me share my own insight on this and you ask your wife if I'm right.

Some men are so busy providing for their loved ones, they don't hear their women telling them to slow down as this is a long way down the priority list compared with just having their man around to share, laugh and be with.

Karen
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-25-2011 04:37 AM
Karen,

I think that was true of me before cancer. Certainly hits the nail right on the head as it pertains to my biological dad, he's a workaholic.

I've gotten to the point where I do listen to both my wife and my business partner as they can look at me and tell when I need to stop. Anymore I listen without much pushback because I know they are right. It doesn't mean I like it but I've accepted it.

What we did find out was it wouldn't have made much difference if my work schedule was less before getting this bug. The whole area I live in got hit hard with it and many people were down for a week or so. My boys were...Aly, the machine she is was down a day or so before she was back to normal work days.

Myself, I couldn't eat and therefore had no energy to fight it off. I normally don't have an appetite anyway and have to "motivate" myself to eat, I couldn't do that. When I tried to force Ensure down I asprirated badly (it's hard to swallow anyway and almost impossible with no energy)which was what brought on the pneumonia.

The mistake I did make was when my fever did break for more then a day and I would try to get out and about, mostly because being confined to a bed takes me to a bad place. I would spike a fever shortly afterwards and go done again.

Now the flu has subsided and I'm dealing with the pneumonia. The work hours I was pulling Jan-4/1 were actually less then the hours I pulled May-Dec. I cut about 3 hours out of my typical work day (12-14 hours to 9-11/day).

Your insights though are right on though. There will be a time here shortly when I can and will enjoy my family as we did at one time. In life there are seasons to work and seasons to live and play, it's identifying those seasons that is the hard part.

Thanks for the post Karen and the insight.

Eric
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: very sick - 04-25-2011 01:08 PM
Eric

The "bugs" this year were especially virulent. Time to take a real breather and recover my brother. I will hold down the fort here at OCF while you gather your strength back.
Aspiration pneumonia is serious trouble - it's the reason I can not even chew food and spit it out -too much risk. Did you know the husband of the woman who started the Susan Komen breast cancer walk had throat cancer and beat it, but died of aspiration pneumonia while celebrating in a dinner overseas.?
I posted that news article a few years ago.

keep the faith
Charm
Posted By: Jenslp Re: very sick - 04-25-2011 06:55 PM
Hey Eric - you got hit doubly hard with the flu AND pneumonia! So sorry to hear of the frustrating loss of all that you've gained - wellness is a slippery slope isn't it? The good news is that you've done it before and you know you can (and will) do it again!
Be strong, be patient, have courage!! (from what I've gathered about you from your posts I think that being patient is really the only thing you'll struggle with!)

Take good care!
Posted By: Nate82 Re: very sick - 04-25-2011 07:52 PM
Just wanted to say I hope you feel better Eric, and thank you for all your great advice! Get Well Soon!

Your Friend,
Nate
Posted By: EricS Re: very sick - 04-26-2011 01:00 AM
Thanks Nate! Miss ya bro, I hope all is well with you

Eric
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum