Posted By: MD50 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 10:16 AM
After reading some recent posts I get the impression that we all are dissapointed in the survival rates of this disease and would like to do something about it. Also Jerry and Amy are participating in upcoming oral cancer walks. Jerry in the NYC walk and Amy in the CHICAGO walk. I personally will pledge $50 to both of you and welcome all of you to join me. You can private message them for details of how to forward them your pledge. You can also awnser this post with your name and let's see if we can get 100 pledges. The amount is up to you,but I will say this--- the peace, comfort,feeling of support, love,pain,loss,and victories we share with each other is invaluable.If we can get 100 pledges I,ll even pose in a bikini.Thank you Jerry and Amy I hope your efforts will be rewarded.
Posted By: MD50 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 10:18 AM
I would Love to pledge
Mark D.
Posted By: Carol L Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 10:55 AM
Mark, excellent idea....I would love to walk in the NYC one and get a lot of sponsors but if I cannot do it, I am definitely going to sponsor Jerry and Amy..A few years back, Minnie organized the first walk in Virginia Beach and it was an honor to be part of it! Thank you Minnie, you did a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!Carol
Posted By: August Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 03:22 PM
I'll pledge to both Jerry and Amy.

How about you two posting the details of how we might forward our donations. I presume that you would rather not publish your addresses online, so let us know how you would like to proceed.

I wish I could come to NYC too. I'm a good walker! If we send you our pledges, will you carry our pictures or at least a list of our names, so that we will be represented too? I'd love that!
Posted By: linroth Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 04:06 PM
I will pledge to Jerry and Amy both. Let me know how to go about it. Sure do wish I could walk also, but I won't be able to make it "this" year. Linda
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 07:51 PM
Wow! Thank you all for your support. If you are interested in sponsoring me, send me a personal email and I will reply with my address. You guys are awesome.

Amy G.
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 07:54 PM
On another note, I am thinking of getting a PO box to be printed in the newspaper article and other such public places. Maybe I can post that here somewhere once I get it. I don't mind sharing my address with you, but maybe a bit leary of just posting it for the whole world to see. And for those of you that maybe can't afford to pledge, your good wishes are inspiring too.

Amy G
Posted By: JAM Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 08:12 PM
I'm in for the 50\50. Just need addresses to send the checks- Grandma Amy laugh
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-26-2007 11:21 PM
This is amazing. This show of support for OCF is fantastic. Thank you Mark for getting the ball rolling for everyone's support.

I posted my office address in the Activism Forum and have no problem posting it here.

Oral Cancer Foundation
C/O Dr. Jerold B. Wilck
KWH Dental Associates
Suite 201
680 Middletown Blvd.
Langhorne, PA 19047

Putting OCF on top will assure the mail getting right to my desk.

Don't look for your checks to be cashed for a while as I will hand them in at the walk.

Thank you one and all.

Jerry
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-27-2007 12:18 AM
I sent my address to those of you who asked, with the exception of Linda. I can't get a link to your email address. If you send me one, I'll send you my address. I am also going to be part of the 50/50. I will send Jerry a check and also sponsor myself for 50. You guys are great. Now, where to come up with the other 9800 smackers?

Amy
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-27-2007 01:30 AM
And yes, if you include a photo, I will carry it with me on the walk. I hope we hit a hundred people, I want to see Mark in his bikini.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-27-2007 08:14 AM
Amy,

I'm with you, too. Please send me your address. I will send a picture. I think August had a great idea.

Emailed picures work for me or including one with the a check works, too.

This is the start of a great tradition!!!!

Jerry
Posted By: JAM Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-27-2007 08:29 PM
I'm strongly considering sending another pledge to NOT SEE MARK IN A BIKINI.
Posted By: ChuckF Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-27-2007 09:25 PM
Amy,

I intend to walk with you in Chicago, but if for some reason I'm unable to, I'll send a donation your way.

Good Health,

Chuck
Posted By: Jordan12 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-27-2007 09:32 PM
jerry and Amy-
Gil and I are proud to support you both. The checks will be in the mail Monday.

Paula
Posted By: August Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-28-2007 02:04 AM
This is fun....sorta' like the rest of us can participate when we can't actually be there ourselves. Please know that you are "carrying" lots of us with you!

To whom should we write the check? OCF?
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-28-2007 06:19 AM
The check should be made out to "The Oral Cancer Foundation"
Posted By: Andrea Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-28-2007 08:33 AM
Count me in, Mark--start getting that bikini warmed up, 'cause you're gonna be COLD for that photo op!!!
Andrea
Posted By: Andrea Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-28-2007 06:48 PM
O' Yeah, my husband is also giving 50 each, so there is another name on the books. They're adding up, Mark.

Andrea
Posted By: MD50 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-28-2007 07:42 PM
Regarding that photo op and the Cold New England weather and me being part Irish----- I don,t have to explain shrinkage do I ??
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-28-2007 07:51 PM
Shrinkage.....LOL! We'll take the weather into consideration. And by the way, is it going to be a Speedo?

Amy
Posted By: Stoj Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 12:08 AM
Or maybe a thong...you go Mark
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 01:08 AM
Okay, I just came up with something. Kind of a "survivorhood of the traveling t-shirt". I am going to carry all of your photos with me when I walk in Chicago. As I am walking, you will all me close with me, but not viewable to anyone else. So I came up with another, maybe corny idea. What if we circulated the shirt I will wear for the walk among all of you donors? You could sign your name and write a short message. I could send it to the first person along with a sharpie pen and the address of where it needs to go next. You simply sign it and send it to the next address on the list and the last person can send it back to me. I imagine that postage would end up being around 3 bucks to send it on. Would anyone want to do this? If so, I would be up for suggestions of what to print on it. A gal that works for me does t-shirt embroidery and could hook me up. A message that would represent all of us would be good. Or, I could use one of the OCF t-shirts, though I am thinking that there isn't a ton of room for signatures left after the logos.

Amy
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 01:08 AM
Okay, I just came up with something. Kind of a "survivorhood of the traveling t-shirt". I am going to carry all of your photos with me when I walk in Chicago. As I am walking, you will all me close with me, but not viewable to anyone else. So I came up with another, maybe corny idea. What if we circulated the shirt I will wear for the walk among all of you donors? You could sign your name and write a short message. I could send it to the first person along with a sharpie pen and the address of where it needs to go next. You simply sign it and send it to the next address on the list and the last person can send it back to me. I imagine that postage would end up being around 3 bucks to send it on. Would anyone want to do this? If so, I would be up for suggestions of what to print on it. A gal that works for me does t-shirt embroidery and could hook me up. A message that would represent all of us would be good. Or, I could use one of the OCF t-shirts, though I am thinking that there isn't a ton of room for signatures left after the logos.

Amy
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 01:13 AM
And for those of you sending checks, I plan to hold them until the walk in June. You could post date them if you wish.

Amy
Posted By: August Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 01:41 AM
TErrific idea....That's an ingriguing idea.....You would have to somewho keep track of where it was..

..be sure to place a cardboard between the layers of the shirt.

It would be something like the recent campaign by the ACS of having persons in a community come to the cancer center and sign a banner that was sent to DC.

If you can't send it around, you could write the names yourself, or have a print shop do it for you.....perhaps at a mall.

You are a dear to think of this. If you do it yourself, you could use paint markers. (Here is a dear, personal story: When my mother turned 75, the entire family got together for a party, and each member signed a black sweat shirt as her birthday gift, since nothing was as important to her as her family. She loved that shirt. When she died (of natural causes) the next year, we chose to bury her in that shirt....to surround her one last time and forever with the names of those she treasured so.)
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 02:23 AM
I could do it myself. Let's see, if we get lot's more people, I probably will just either write all or names on, or have them put on at a print shop. Because if it is a lot of people, it might be hard to keep track of.

But if I do send it around, I will make a list of everywhere it needs to go. Once it hits you, cross yourself off and send it to the next name on the list. Maybe once you receive it and then again when you are done with it, you email me so I know where it is. Something like that.

And the shirt for your Mom, what a great idea. I am sure she is smiling down knowing that she is forever surrounded by the love of her family. That is an awesome story.

Amy
Posted By: Andrea Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 05:29 AM
Another alternative is to scan all the pictures into your computer, then print them onto that paper that makes iron-ons and you can make the t-shirt yourself, there are several companies that make that paper, and Wally World or the Big Red K usually carry the stuff.

Andrea
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 06:33 AM
Amy,

I think that's a great idea. However, bear in mind that if they do the same thing in Chicago as in NYC, you should know that they have t-shirts for the walk that are given out at the walk. At last year's walk everyone wore them, however, Barbara Boland and her family wore "Team Boland 2006" shirts. She has a big family that all helped her raise the bulk of the money raised for that walk and I think most of them were there. Check out http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/gallery/index.html for pictures from last years walk.

BTW, the first picture is of Sheldon Sax, Barbara Boland & yours truly, from left to right.

Since I will be away in February, and our walk is in April, I will have to keep with the original idea of carrying the photos.

Again, thanks to all of you that plan on sending me checks and photos.

Jerry
Posted By: MD50 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 12:43 PM
Wickdds---mnmomof3---Jam---Andrea---Carol L---Linroth---Jordan12---August---Chuck F---MD50

Not to shabby. The makings of a great team. Together we can make a difference. Love to all of you for your generous spirit.
Posted By: mnmomof3 Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 04:04 PM
I like Andrea's suggestion of making the pictures into iron on transfers. If the number seems managable and I can fit them all, that's what I'll do. However, if this gets huge and I get too many photos to fit the shirt, I'll go with one of the other ideas. At the very least, I am going to get all of your names on this shirt for everybody to see. Since the walk isn't until June, I have plenty of time to figure it out.

Again, thank you for all of your support. Because of you, I want to succeed in raising lots of money for OCF.

God Bless,

Amy
Posted By: August Re: 50/50 challenge - 01-29-2007 08:16 PM
Here's another idea, since you might want to wear the shirt given to you at the race: You could made a sash, like Miss America or the Scouts wear, and you could wear it over your official tee shirt......or make a hat.....or carry a towel.....or a cape, like Superman...(You'd get your picture in the paper!!).......XO
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-04-2007 11:54 PM
Just wanted to bring this great idea back to the top now that I'm home from the South Pacific. I found a few checks waiting for me when I stopped by my office last week.

There's still a month and a half to go, so please don't miss out on this opportunity to give back to this fantastic organization that does so much for all of us.

It was wonderful meeting Meredith (TIZZ) and her husband Bill in a town near Sydney. Meredith met us at the dock and we took a boat across Sydney Harbor. Marilyn, I and the friends we travel with had a terrific dinner and a very special evening.

I'm looking forward to meeting many other members at the walk next month.

Jerry
Posted By: sharlee Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-05-2007 12:47 AM
Jerry,

Could you give me more information on the walk, I live in NY about 3-4 hrs from the city but it would def be worth traveling for . AND Amy also about the one in june ? So maybe If I cant make one I can another . I have taken the train to chicago ( didnt get to stay was just passing through ) but would love to see more ..what better way then walking for a cause .
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-06-2007 12:18 AM
Sharlee,

Check out the thread "NYC Walk" in the "Activism" forum and the link is there with the information.

If you need anymore information, send me an email. Just click on the envelope above, next to the date of this post.

PS Hope you can make it. Let me know.

Jerry.
Posted By: Eileen Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-06-2007 10:24 PM
Hi Everyone,
Well, as usual, I am not going to make the WALK again this year. We are on a plane to FL that morning to visit my 92 year old Mom.

I will, however, send my donation to Jerry, which my company will match, to sponser everyone who shows up. Would love to meet you all, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-08-2007 11:24 PM
Eileen,

Sorry that you won't be able to make the walk this year, but we surely do appreciate your continued support. I hope you have a great visit with your mom and maybe things will work out next year.

Jerry
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-15-2007 07:25 PM
Hi all,

The money is rolling in and I have sent out my personal letters to family, friends and colleagues earlier this week. To date I have over $500 and am expecting quite a bit more.

For those members that have sent me checks, you have heard from already, or will soon. Again, thanks to all who have sent checks so far and for your willingness to sponsor me and help OCF financially.

My address again to send checks made out to "The Oral Cancer Foundation" is:

The Oral Cancer Foundation
C/O Dr. Jerold B. Wilck
KWH Dental Assoc.
Suite 201
680 Middletown Blvd.
Langhorne, PA 19047

Jerry
Posted By: August Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-16-2007 01:41 AM
C'mon, everybody! Send SOMETHNG to Jerry and/or to Amy, who is walking in Chicago for OCF. Send $1, $5, $10....or more....but don't you want to feel like a part of supporting OCF, which gives each of so much and serves as the primary source of information for so many? If we are ever to get out the word about oral cancer, OCF is going to play a major role. Jerry and Amy have promised to carry me and their other contributors in their hearts...or on a list in their pockets.....probably both, if I know them. Don't you want to be included?? Just send what you are comfortable with. It all comes back to OCF.
Posted By: MikeG Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-16-2007 05:19 PM
I got our donation in! I paid by credit card on this site. It took a few minutes to figure out where to click to. Once there it went fast.
When Amy's Chicago walk gets closer we'll sponser her's too.

ginny
Posted By: August Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-16-2007 06:30 PM
Jerry and Amy...Advise us, please....For sponsoring you for the fund-raising walks, is it better to send you a personal check, so that you can know how much you personally have collected? I know that it all goes to the OCF and is tax deductible in the same way. Can donations on this site be assigned to one of you walkers?

Amy....how about jumping back in here and telling people how they can sponsor you too.
Posted By: Carol L Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-16-2007 06:31 PM
Jerry, I am not sure I can make the NY Walk this year....I will sponsor you and Amy either way. Thanks so much! Carol
Posted By: MikeG Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-16-2007 07:12 PM
I recall Brian saying you can designate your
on- line donation to any participant you would like. He said there was a empty box that you could fill in with who you would like your payment to be credited to while you are going through the payment process.
It's there, I used it last night. It was called comments or po or reference number.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-16-2007 09:40 PM
Hi all,

I wasn't aware of the option of charging the donation and specifing the participant. This may be new this year and it is a great idea.

I will hand in all the checks that I get at the walk and I guess I'll find out then how the on-line charging thing works.

Any way you do it, the money goes to OCF and that's the important thing. They do total up the amounts by participant and announce them at the event. So I'm sure they will include the credit card ones, too. Other organizations that I have donated to on-line by credit card, eg MS, send the participant an email when someone donates in their name so they will know. As of now, I don't think that will happen here. I am also not aware of any way to check the donations on the website. Brian, if it's possible, please let me know.

I do make it a priority to thank each and every sponsor, either by email or snail mail. I prefer not doing it on the forum for obvious reasons.

However, since you have mentioned it here, THANKS Mike for supporting me and the OCF.

Carol,

I was hoping we would get to meet this year. Please let me know if can work as we closer to the date.

August,

Thanks for the rousing support and all that you do on this forum. You have been a terrific participant and your willingness to share all that you have been through as well as the knowledge that you have accumulated, has helped so many.

Jerry
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-17-2007 12:12 AM
A week before the event I will post here the sponsorships that we have received. So far most of the online purchases have been for participants. There have only been a couple of sponsorships of other walkers. I would keep some on going posting for people, but it's a time issue which I don't have an abundance of. But the sonsorships will get tallied from us and sent to the people at NYU to be included in the final talley sorted by individual.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-17-2007 08:27 AM
Brian,

Thanks for updating us on how this works. I look forward to getting the opportunity to personally thank those that have contributed in my name.

As always, thanks for all that you do.

Jerry
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-17-2007 10:43 PM
Jerry - I thank you and others who have expressed similar kind words and sentiments on the boards re my efforts. But they are largely misplaced. This has been a rough week. I lost two more friends to SCC this week. It has been 6 years of undiverted time and money, mostly 7 days a week - lectures at scientific symposiums from the World Health Organization international meeting to the International Academy of Dental Research, TV appearances, countless newspaper article interviews. I have spent my time networking inside the NIH and on the Oral Cancer Work Group at the CDC, to name just a couple forums, year after year trying to convince those in power to create change. Guest editorials in dental journals, and testifying at congressional appropriations committees attempting to call others in positions of power to action or provide the public funding that would stem the tide of deaths. The message and the mission are the same- it will work, and our science advisors agree; early detection saves lives. But I am not saving them. For all the avenues that I try, I cannot even put my finger in the dike to slow the flow. An 11% increase in incidence rate since I started, and a proportional likely increase in the death rate. I appreciate the thanks, but it would seem that for all that is being done, more needs to be done, and the funding and manpower to do it in force never seems to be there - though the direction and possibilities are well defined that will make a difference.

The people that participate in this board, and support each other with quality information at least ease the burdens of those that come to OCF are the people deserving of real thanks. They post here or extend themselves in spreading the word outside the realm of the world of the web, such as at the NYU event, offering themselves freely in service to others. People who make a difference one person at a time. After all this, I can only take a small amount of credit for creating a place for that to occur, and the rest of you here have done the heavy lifting. It would seem I cannot even help my closest friends. When you go to NY, I hope that you will infect those young
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-18-2007 09:03 PM
Brian,

No words can express the sorrow that I feel knowing that you have lost 2 friends this week. If all you did for us was to provide this website, that alone would be enough. Your words ring with frustration, anger and disappointment and I share these feeelings with you knowing so well how much you do.

Each day as I check my mail at work and at home and checks arrive, I feel good knowing that the support I am seeing from friends, relatives, colleagus and OCF members, can possibly help to lessen the financial burden that you have so selflessly undertaken.

Interestingly, just before signing on the board, I was working on some remarks that I have been asked to make during the openning ceremonies of the walk. We must be on the same wavelength as this is the last paragraph of what I plan to say:

"My message to you, especially the dental and hygiene students, is that Early Detection can save lives and you are the ones that can help to attain this goal. By doing thorough oral cancer screenings for your patients now and when you are in practice, the death rate from oral cancer can be reduced. But, this alone, is not enough. Through the OCF, I have met too many people whose dentists and hygienists did not find their cancer in its
Posted By: JAM Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-18-2007 10:33 PM
Brian, those of us who have lost loved ones also feel your pain. Remember what we say here every day- "You are not alone". Amy
Posted By: jennie Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-18-2007 10:54 PM
Jerry I just got on the donation site sponsored you for the NYC walk. Amy I will be sponsoring you next month. Im trying to figure out how Erik and I can come in June for the walk. We just love Chicago. What a perfect excuse to see the windy city again!!
Jennie
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-24-2007 12:00 PM
Just bringing this thread back up to the top.

I want to thank everyone that has sent me a check so far. For those that haven't, the address is above in this thread and it's not too late to help support the OCF financially.

Brian needs YOUR help and if you want this website to keep going, now is the time to give. It doesn't have to be a lot. Every little bit helps. If every member gave just $10, think about how much money could be raised. Think about how much you and your loved ones receive from the OCF in the form of support, information and just having a place to vent. Money is also needed to help keep Brian traveling and fighting for funding for oral cancer research, recognition of the needs of oral cancer survivors and the need for Early Detection.

I hate to seem like a broken record, but it takes a great deal of money to keep this website and Brian running. How lost would you feel, if it wasn't here? I know I would be devastated.

Jerry
Posted By: ken k Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-28-2007 11:53 AM
I'm new to this site. My husband was treated for SCC 2 yrs. ago. Had chemo, radiation (6 wks.) & surgery. So far so good. He goes for scans every 3 months but now it will be every 6 months. Unfortunately, he was just diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma (4mm) as he was having hearing problems. We are thankful that it was found while it is still small and we have time to consider options.

I am reading about the walk in Chicago and wonder when and where it will be held. We are from Schaumbug, IL.

Thanks for all the info here.

Linda K. (husband Ken)

Dx 06/2004 - SCC of left tonsil - resection of growth on neck, 6 weeks IMRT, 4 treatments chemo (Cisplatin).
Posted By: Carol L Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-28-2007 04:12 PM
Hi Jerry, please PM or email me with your address so I can send you a check...Thanks, Carol
p.s. Thanks so much for participating!
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 50/50 challenge - 03-28-2007 11:14 PM
Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear about Ken's new problem. I wish him and you as much success as you have had with the scc.

The June walk in Chicago has been postponed until September. It is not definite yet, but it was not going to work out for June. Keep checking back to see what is happening.

Carol, I sent you an email with my address and thanks for sponsoring me again this year.

Jerry
Posted By: MikeG Re: 50/50 challenge - 04-07-2007 12:19 AM
Dr Jerry Wilck has just announced his 2 year anniversary for being cancer clear in the Survivor Forum!
What better way to celebrate with him and honor him as well, then to contribute to his 2nd annual New York Oral Cancer Awareness Walk which is being held this Saturday 04/14/07?

It's not too late! 7 days to go!

There are no minimums, anything you can send will help. Let's get a big push for his grand send- off and make him proud of all he has done for us!
Send to:
The Oral Cancer Foundation
C/O Dr. Jerold B. Wilck
KWH Dental Assoc.
Suite 201
680 Middletown Blvd.
Langhorne, PA 19047

or
Make a donation on line on this site, just put in the notes or PO section of the donation that its for Jerry's New York walk.
Posted By: Carol L Re: 50/50 challenge - 04-07-2007 08:31 AM
Mike that is a wonderful idea!!!! Thanks for bring it to our attention!!!!!Carol
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: 50/50 challenge - 04-07-2007 08:21 PM
If you go to the webstore there actually is a link to NYU stuff. You can make a donation there vs the regular donation section and it will be earmarked as NYU. (It is a bit less flexible than the regular donation section which works in increments of 5 dollars.) Then as Mike said put in the comments block Jerry's name.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum