Posted By: linroth Oral cancer on local news - 01-24-2007 06:43 PM
I am sitting here watching my local Pittsburgh news station, and they actually mentioned oral cancer. The subject was on a study out of Cleveland where they are finding DNA in surrounding cells that may help in a way to diagnose this and other cancers sooner. Maybe you have already heard of this. I am just so excited to actually hear them mention this disease and stress how brutal and devastating it is. We can only hope that they will find ways to save other people from going through what all of us have had to deal with. Just wanted to share.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-24-2007 06:57 PM
I haven't heard of what you described. Any other info you can pass on?
Posted By: linroth Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-24-2007 09:06 PM
The news station website is www.pittsburghchannel.com. It is under the Healthy 4 you section. Not a big article, but I was so happy just to hear anything about oral cancer on the news. Hope things are good with you David.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-24-2007 09:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the link. Sounds interesting and great to see Oral Cancer in the news.

I sent the link to Sheldon Sax, who keeps the "Oral Cancer in the News" section of this website up to date.

Jerry
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-25-2007 06:57 PM
Linroth,

Thanks for taking the time ti provide the link.

I'm doing great (at least until I read that 50% survival rate) with my taste getting better and my dry mouth improving ever so slightly.

Only got one thing to complain about.....IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!!!! I bet it didn't reach 60 today and it's suppossed to get into the 40's tonight. I HATE COLD WEATHER...that's why I moved to Fl.
Posted By: linroth Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-25-2007 07:14 PM
David, Glad to hear you're doing good. I also have the dry mouth I'm dealing with. As for the 50%, well it's all in how you look at the glass of milk (half empty, half full?). As for me, they can have there stats, we can beat them, and even change them!!
As for the weather you're complaining about...it's 15 with a windchill of 0 here in Pa today. And the snow is blowing!!! Have a great day to you and everyone here smile
Jerry, thanks for passing it on. I was just so excited to hear them mention oral cancer on tv! This dreaded disease may some day get the publicity and research that it needs. Take care.
Posted By: William Dozier Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-25-2007 10:09 PM
I haven't heard that 50% figure mentioned by any of my medical provider folks since my battle began last April. Although my Docs would not quote specific stats to me they never gave me any indication of any odds as bad as 50/50.

Bill D.
Posted By: JoAnne1981 Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-25-2007 10:40 PM
Thanks for passing this along, it's an interesting concept. As for the 50% statistic, I'm with Linroth, it's just a number and not us.

David, I'm crying for you - especially since we had snow flurries today and going to have a deep freeze tonight. Do you need us to send you down a sweater? I don't want to think of you shivering down there in that 50 degree weather.

In the past month Jack's dry mouth has really improved. We don't know if it's the 6 month mark post treatment or the acupuncture but he's eating more things that he couldn't swallow before. We're not questioning it.

Regards JoAnne
Posted By: ssax Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-26-2007 12:16 AM
Hi,

You can read the article mentioned above at
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/news/story.asp?newsId=1607

Thanks to Jerry for passing this along. - Sheldon
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-26-2007 07:58 PM
JoAnne,

Thanks for the sweater offer but I do own 1 or 2. I had to use the blue one yesterday and the black one today but it warmed up to the high 60's this afternoon.

Whew !! I was packing to move to Key West but I guess I'll tough it out a little longer. We should only have to deal with this a few more weeks before our "Spring" arrives. LOL
Posted By: August Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-27-2007 02:55 AM
In Louisiana we have paperwhite narcissus blooming, along with purple (Japanese) magnolias in full bloom. My yard is full of goldfinches already migrating north......I don't know why they want to go up there!! Maybe they are actually headed south..makes more sense to me.
Posted By: little p Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-30-2007 01:38 PM
linroth,

I too am from PA about 40 miles east of Pittsburgh...isn't this weather lovely???? Anyway I also saw the news story you are talking about.I agree that it was good to hear this type of cancer being mentioned.I was surprised. Keep warm!!! smile
Posted By: linroth Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-30-2007 02:07 PM
maureen, So glad to hear from someone in my area. I live 60 miles south west of Pitts. Did your friend have treatment in Pitts.? My Ent doctor is out of Presby hospital. That's where I had my brachytherapy done.
As for the weather, well it sure is winter!!! Used to love this when I was younger, now I see why people move to Florida when they retire. smile Have a good day! Linda
Posted By: little p Re: Oral cancer on local news - 01-31-2007 09:33 PM
Linda,
No, he was originally from this area also but moved to Florida LOL...not because of the weather but because of work. He had his treatments in the Venice, Florida area.I don't mind the snow at Christmas time but I sure hate when it is still snowing in April!!! smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum