...or pages on the OCF site!

An article in the Los Angeles Times today reports on a study in the journal Cancer by a researcher at Fox Chase Cancer Center on the increase in the rate of rectal cancer (mostly SCC) in people under 40. Here's the last paragraph:
[quote]The researchers could find no evidence that the increase was linked to anal sex, Meyer added. Anal cancers linked to such sex are typically caused by the human papillomavirus, which is common in the gay community. But HPV generally causes adenocarcinomas, he said, and the rectal tumors are squamous cell carcinomas and unlikely to be related.[/quote]
Just thought you all might be interested. (And don't attack the LA Times reporter in your responses, please! He's just the messenger.)

You must have had quite an impact, Brian, there is already a correction on the post.

- Margaret
Wow, it's like watching volleyball champs in action: First Margaret sets up the ball (finding the incorrect LA times story), then Brian spikes it across the net (sets the reporter straight in no uncertain terms). I can not resist posting this pun:
In the end, the LA times had it ass backwards.
Charm

FYI The revision below is on LA web site but the wrong info on HPV is still in the accompanying story -
[quote]FOR THE RECORD:
Rectal cancer: An article in Monday's Section A on rising rates of rectal cancer in people younger than 40 said that human papillomavirus generally causes adenocarcinomas and that rectal cancers are squamous cell carcinomas. In fact, HPV causes squamous cell carcinomas, and most rectal cancers are adenocarcinomas. �[/quote]

This is why I only glance at the LA times for entertainment news and not the rest of my news. Nicely done on setting the record straight.
Charm --

I believe that under LAT policy, the story remains as originally published. The correction notes the error in the original story.
Anybody know if it the doctor who was misquoted by the LAT reporter transposing SCC with ADC? Otherwise, shouldn't FoxChase be sending him for remedial onocolgy education?
The "correction" is silent as to how the article got so wrong. I did love that they used "In fact.." to lead off the correction implying to me the article is more akin to fiction.
charm
A few publications indicate the reason for errors (e.g., "Because of a reporting/editing/transcription error ..." or "Incorrect information obtained from a news release..." or such). The LAT, like many large newspapers, does not.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum