Posted By: benfry Lymph nodes - 08-21-2010 01:54 PM
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me information of lymph nodes and what if the cancer is there too...

Benfry
Posted By: Nate82 Re: Lymph nodes - 08-21-2010 04:38 PM
Well I am actually having my lymph nodes removed as a precaution because they are slightly enlarged. So they are removing my tongue tumor as well as both sides of my lymph nodes. From what I understood, the surgeon basically described the lymph nodes as the gateway for the cancer to spread wherever the hell it wants to in your body,very scary. I truly believe cancer has to be the most evil and unforgiving disease there is, but we will all fight this til the end. I am Stage II, left side of tongue,27 and go in for war on September 16th. Good luck my friend,and keep fighting the good fight!

Nathan
Posted By: benfry Re: Lymph nodes - 08-22-2010 02:21 AM
Very scary... Thank you Nathan for your reply. I am waiting for my dad's pathology results this Friday to see what's going on with his... He had a partial glossectomy and right neck dissection. I wish you the best on your surgery and recovery!
Posted By: SusanW Re: Lymph nodes - 08-22-2010 10:58 PM
I think it depends on where it is. While, it's better to not have it in the nodes,it certainly is treatable from my understanding.
I think your dad is at Sloan,right? Remember, he is in very good hands there!!!
Posted By: Nate82 Re: Lymph nodes - 08-22-2010 11:39 PM
I am all new to this as well benfry, your experiences are all of our gain. I respect all opinions and guidance,so just know that people care. You all are my power and strength, I take each and everyone of you with me on my visits!

Nathan
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Lymph nodes - 08-23-2010 12:41 AM
Benfry,

I had my lymph nodes removed as a precaution, no cancer in the nodes. I was treated at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL.

I would think if it was in the nodes it would be radiation/chemo. It also went before the Tumor Board to see if I needed Radiation/Chemo.

Take care
Connie
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lymph nodes - 08-23-2010 11:17 AM
Lymph nodes are part of the immune system and act like filters for diseases. For example swollen glands mean an infection, many times in the throat. If a cancer patient has had lymph nodes positive for cancer (like in a neck dissection) it means that the cancer has begun to spread. Cancer of the lymph nodes is something different, thats called lymphoma or leukemia. Hope its nothing to worry about.
Posted By: airkitty Re: Lymph nodes - 08-23-2010 02:00 PM
My second surgery was a modified radical neck dissection that removed all of my lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. There were 2 nodes that were enlarged with cancer about 1 month after my first partial glosectomy. The doc did a nice job and worked around my nerves so I still have shoulder function. The lymph system can transport cancer quickly through the body. Good luck to you on this journey.
Posted By: benfry Re: Lymph nodes - 08-27-2010 02:59 PM
Hi everyone;
Thank you so much for your words and sharing with me and sending positive thoughts our way <3 I was away for three days and when I came back I thought my dad would be home, (he was supposed to go home on monday) but he got an infection in one or some of his stitches in the neck. He will be fine anyway, I hope he will get home next week smile I guess that happens.... (?) We will get the pathology results soon to see what happened with his lymph nodes and find out what else is needed... I feel better everytime I read your responses, million thanks

Benfry
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum