I 100% agree with David. The treatment center absolutely does make a difference. If someone is going to radiate your head, you want the mostly highly skilled crew possible. Originally, my husband was offered treatment at our local, quite good, suburban hospital. Considering where they were radiating, we immediately arranged consults at MD Anderson, Mayo Clinic & University of Chicago, keeping Sloane Kettering in reserves, if we needed another choice. We got our kids covered by a family member, then did not allow geography to play any role in the decision of a treatment facility...the only factor being, where would my husband have the best chance of survival.

I stood at an observation booth, behind the women administering my husband's radiation this past summer for every one of his 50 rads. My main (self-assumed) role, was to watch his feet like a hawk, in case he got in trouble (i.e. started choking). While I stood there, I could also see the screen that showed the ever changing shape of the radiation beam that was treating (burning...whatever we want to call it) my husband, as the maching moved around his head. All I could think was, thank God his rad onc was so freakishly smart, thank God the room full of planners we walked every day were so good at their jobs as well.

When you consider the increased risk on reoccurances, you want do not want to leave anything on the table on the first shot at getting this cancer. Why not stack the deck, as much as possible, in your favor?!